PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
This is really a value question and not necessarily related to pipes or tobaccos.
I'm talking about something you spent a hundred bucks on at some point (or thereabouts) and it has just represented an amazing value or has become a part of your life that you couldn't live without.
Maybe something you look at and think "this thing is so valuable to me that if I knew then what I know now, I'd spend $500 on it!"
So, what's something that's about a hundred bucks that you'd consider the best $100 you ever spent?

Dec 24, 2012
Great thread topic. Reminds me of the little girl in this video. Best coin ever spent. I will have to think of my own "Best $100 ever spent"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiPaanDnuk

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I once spent $100 bucks on 35 feet of nylon rope I needed to make a rope swing for my kids. (Figuring it was better to have a little extra rather than not enough, I also spent another $100 bucks on 35 feet of rope that I didn't need, but who's counting?) This was 5 years ago and they still use it. Bikes, game systems, Ipads -- they've got nothing on 35 feet of rope hanging from a sturdy branch.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
For my daughter's 8th birthday she got a "eight year old size 10 speed bike". It was her first 2 wheeler and she had never learned to ride a bike yet. She loved the bike but was afraid of falling on the concrete street while learning to ride. After a lot of holding her up while learning someone (me) jokingly said, "I guess we'll have to take it back to the store if you can't ride it". So we're standing around talking with family not paying attention to the kids, when I see my daughter actually riding the bike (in first gear) really slowly in the soft grass of the yard. NO body was taking HER bike back! Smart kid and $100 well spent.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Great topic. I will have to ponder mine though. I don't usually equate spending in $100 increments.
It's a 'brain' thing, not a 'I've got so much that $100 doesnt mean anything' thing. LoL

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Why, my Sorringowl and Sons Signature Pipe and Tobacco pouch, of course!
Ok, it was closer to $200. But it's the best thing I own. The only other thing that comes to mind was the finest meal I ever had--but that was closer to $60 than a hundred.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a Used Powerstroke Truck, tires were iffy, called my tire store and they had the 12 Ply Grips I wanted, made an appointment for the next day to put them on. My wife's Nursing home is in a round about way going there so I decided to tell her hello. Bad move Truck started squirreling on the main busy Hwy so I steered to the side, called the tire shop and tire man was changeling a tractor tire but he would come when finished and put one of my new ones. It was gonna be a long wait. Trucks whizzing by, no one stopped. Finally an old truck pulled up and an old Black man came out, asking if he could help, told him Thank you and asked his name, he told me his name and said he was going to visit his wife who worked at a different nurseing home in an opposite direction. He took off after I had thanked him again. Tire repair man finally came changed tire, I went to the shop and changed out the other 3.this was in the late fall. I called the other nurseing home, talked to his wife and when I told her I needed their address she balked, told her it was to send her husband a present for trying to help me on the side of the road. Got the address and about a week and a half I put a 100$ bill in a Christmas card and mailed it. I didn't hear back from them but knowing I had acknowledged an act of kindness made my Christmas better. I often wondered how surprised he was?

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Used Nikomat camera with 55mm f/3.5 macro lens. 1972 in Japan. It worked flawlessly until I finally switched to digital (D200) a few years ago. The lens still sees regular use on the D200.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I was 16, I bought a 1937 Chevy PU. It ran and I registered it and drove the heck out of it. Many stories about it. Driving it 100 mph with WW11 surplus retreaded synthetic rubber tires. Having the fuse blow while I was going that fast on a moonless night. Fixing it with a piece of chewing gum wrapper.

I ended up trading it for a 1958 Ford PU that needed a front end (body) I never got around to fixing.

Oh, yeah, I paid $100 for it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It wasn't 100.00 but it was pretty close. I bought a Stephen Dowwnie Apple for 135.00 and it is a killer smoker. Here is a pic. I received it from SP and it smokes like a champ.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
$200 on a 1967 Triumph Spitfire while in my senior year of medical school. Left me a few times but was right hand drive and British Racing Green, as it should be. Sold it 4 years later for, you guessed it, $200! Wish I had had money to restore it but I could only afford a 1973 MGB-GT for 10x as much...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
That's a good one Spencer. In '71 as a senior in high school, I bought a '60 Ford Thunderbird for $100. It was that pinkish looking color that Ford had then. I had a $60 paint job done and swapped the interior, seats and all, from a wrecked one with a black leather interior, and a year later when I went into the Air Force, I sold it for $400.

May 4, 2015
Mine is probaby the soundbar my wife let me buy after we got a TV for Christmas. Until then we had only had an old box TV, maybe 27". The 42" flat-screen was quite an upgrade this year but I wanted better sound.
It's nothing fancy. Just a Vizio bar with a little subwoofer for $99. It has surprisingly good sound, and I'm pretty picky being a "music guy." It makes shows and movies sound better and I can stream tunes from my phone. It's one of my favorite things that I own and it's worth so much more than $100 bucks to me in my little world.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Doctor's appointment at age 32 when I first got treatment for an undiagnosed neurological problem I had since I was a kid. I just thought I was bat shit crazy until the doctor told me otherwise.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Victorinox Swiss Tool RS. It's always on my belt. Extremely useful to have ready to hand.
53935.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.