Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

The Bearded Lady (blended by Just For Him)

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by Jeffrey Deal
  • Latest reply from Orley
  1. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“Who doesn't enjoy a healthy tingle in their pipe?”

JUST FOR HIM'S Bearded Lady is a piquant Va/per blend that tweaks the traditional Va’ to 'per ratio. It incorporates a moist ribbon cut of both bright and deeper red Virginias with more than a smattering of perique.

The jar aroma is sugared raisins, dried dark fruits, with hints of vinegar, bread, and well-fermented Virginias. A tingle in the olfactory promises quality perique; the leaf's fragrance acting as an apéritif.

The dry-draw is mild and sweet, with hints of spice. The charring light fills the room with the pleasant aroma of fresh ground pepper and smoldering firewood.

The beginning of the bowl is surprisingly mellow. The Virginias are soft and balanced, with flavors of dark, dried fruits, and hints of grass, hay, and yeast bread. The perique soon comes galloping up, bringing a slight acidity, and heavier notes of pepper and tannins. The Louisiana leaf also provides additional flavors of plum and raisin.

Once racing along, the perique is out in the lead, with the Virginias close in pursuit. Pepper is dominant, especially in the retrohale; but the mild sweetness of fermented and dried fruits provide the much needed counterbalance… though, at moments, the scales do precariously tip towards Team Tingle.

The blend benefits from a bit of drying time, but still may require several re-lights. The nicotine level can ramp up to a medium-strong; adjust your cadence accordingly.

So, do you like a lil’ Sriracha in your Thai? … Tabasco in your chili? … Cayenne in your curry? Well, try adding a bit more tingle to your tobacco!

Bearded Lady is a high octane blend intended for the Va/per fan that enjoys a rich, smooth tobacco with a peppery kick.

2.5/4

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review. It sounds like a nice blend. I prefer my perique more plummyfiggy than peppery, but I'm happy with a good balance of the two. This sounds like a good just before bed smoke.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

Very good review, if only i had more room in my secretary for this blend!

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review, thank you. I just might have to try that blend as I am already a fan of some of their other blends.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dcon, tbradsim1, davidy97, canucklehead, americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, npod, redglow, jiminks