PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm considerering a Rhodian/Bulldog because they seem so popular. But I've never held one in hand or seen one in person, so let me ask you Rhodians owners, what is the attraction of the Bulldog? Why are they so popular? I would hate to pull the trigger on a Rhodesian unless I would be genuinely happy with it: I'm thinking of the Peterson Dracula sandblasted one. Chime in!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Typically nice thick walled bowls, a gentle bend that facilitates clenching, a little more compact than a straight billiard, less cumbersome, below eye level in the mouth, usually a fairly large bowl, they give the suggestion of a calabash without wasted space. They feel great in the hand and they're more appealing to my eye.

Reactions: SaxonX

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For my taste, it's all about the tapered stem Rhodesian. I've never quite been able to figure out what it is about the attraction to that shape, but it is somehow very appealing....
hot-ass-sexy-butt-pics-20.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, ha ha, ss. Newbroom, your answer seems quite convincing and well reasoned. Your response alone may make me pull the tripgger on a Rhodisian. Oh, and excuse my misspellings; I'm not wearing my reading glasses.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
BTW, I did a little reading, and apparently a bulldog is NOT a Rhodisian: differences in the shank. I don't like the triangular shank of the classic bulldog.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, with help from Newbroom's input, notwithstanding the other stange remarks here, I decided to pull the trigger and order a Dracula Rhodesian from SP. I'll let you know my verdict when it arrives. Thanks (I think) guys!

Here's the pipe I ordered:

002-029-24778.jpg

Reactions: newbroom

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I would not have made this association. I suppose there's something wrong with my glands.

PS: Say, where do you perverts get all these photos?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I like them both. Don't know why but I do. I only have one Rhodesian but probably 6 or 8 bulldogs. Most of them are kaywoodies(big surprise) but lately I've been favoring and old grabow bulldog. They smoke nice and cool and even if you smoke too fast the bowl never really gets too warm.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I like them both. Don't know why but I do. I only have one Rhodesian but probably 6 or 8 bulldogs. Most of them are kaywoodies(big surprise) but lately I've been favoring and old grabow bulldog. They smoke nice and cool and even if you smoke too fast the bowl never really gets too warm.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the vote of confidence, ss. I like simplicity, and Peterson delivers a nice sandblast on their pipes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've read all sorts of opinion on what differentiates one from the other. One suggested that it was how the rim was angled or not...some speak of the diamond vs round shank. The Author style and the Rhodesian style to me are quite similar.

sparrowhawk, I am pretty sure that you'll be happy with that beauty!

bubbleheaddiver, yours looks like a hybrid leaning toward the Rhodesian from a bulldog. The top part is more bulldog, imo. Nice pipe!

May 31, 2012
hot-ass-sexy-butt-pics-20.jpg

That pic deserved a re-post!

:!:
It took me a while to come around to the shape,

now I love them and actively seeking them out.
Gamboni makes a good one!
YYID65J.jpg

AILu2qe.jpg

It was this pipe made by Russ Cook that originally turned me on to how good the shape can be,

he calls this a "diamond dog"...
Y4urYdn.jpg

8TpSTRl.jpg

OL9lTbL.jpg

RbtLpmO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.