PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Well, it seems as if I am a poor student of the tamping process, as about 50% of the time I tamp the pipe, it goes out. I thought that is was mandatory to inhale while you are tamping...which I do, but that isn't always successful. I watch video's of guys that seem to exert firm pressure and stroke of their tamper, but if I exert even moderate pressure it seems to kill the ember. WTF am I doing wrong? :cry:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
If you tamp to hard, yes your pipe will go out. The "art" of tamping is practiced to find the balance of packing down the tabbacco and keeping it lit. That said, I would suggest a little less pressure while tamping, continue puffing on the pipe and at the same time tamp down with lighter pressure.

Again you have to find that balance when tamping your tabbacco, the only time I tamp my pipe is when I feel that it is no longer smoking correctly, then I tamp it lightly and add presure as needed to have the pipe continue to smoke. Just keep practicing you will get it.
Yuri

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'd say you are tamping too hard. I just drop the tamper onto the loose fluffy ash to break it down to the ember while puffing and then stop and keep puffing. I never push on the tobacco with the tamper. Perhaps you are packing too tightly?

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
It's all a matter of feel. You can't get that from a video or even from one-on-one lessons. Just keep experimenting until it becomes as natural as breathing. Like a Jedi knight, you'll know when you've got it. Be brave and may the force be with you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Hobie,
You aren't trying to mash down the ashes... that may reduce your air flow.

The object is to bring the ember "recoveralbe ember" into contact with the tobacco yet to be burned. You might try a holding the tamper in place and puffing to control air flow.

It's hard to explain.... but the best phrase is "chasing the ember".

To quote Doyle Lonnegan in the Sting: "Ya follah?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DuGMTMSfmY

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
GREAT clip Pstlpkr!!!
The Sting remains one of my favorite all time movies... my ring tone on cell is the theme song...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't worry about it. I'm into keeping the taste, smoke volume and mouth feel going, even if that means numerous re-lights. Fretting about the state of the ember is just a distraction from that. I'll leave the futzing around to the guys who are into competition smoking. In the mean time, buy some stock in match companies -- with me they're sure to do well!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Probably, yes. Seakayak and I agree, it's something you have to develop a feel for.
Each time I sense that only a very few shreds of tobacco are lit, I gently tamp while drawing in,...once I get a little more smoke and embers I remove the tamper and moving my tongue fore and aft I push and pull air back and forth over the embers until they're going full blast again.

Status
Not open for further replies.