PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
was going to post some links, but my phone is being stupid. the website is theartofmanliness.com I ran across it a few months ago when I was first interested in piping because they had an, article about how to start smoking a pipe. I have since started browsing it about twice a month and there have Bev several articles I thought would appeal to this community. go to the man's life section and read the 4 pay series on integrity, and also read the article on the hone page entitled "what e'er thy art, act well thy part". both very thought provoking. thought I would share, hope u enjoy

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I go to the site daily. Everything on it is fantastic, should be mandatory reading for all boys and men. Trust metal militia, you will not be dissapointed

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I just wanted to put the word out there. oftentimes others say it better than we can say ourselves.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
"If you smoke a pipe there can be no doubt, you are a man." AA Milne
For me, that suffices! lol

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally, I never worried about trying to be manly. I have always been more worried about being a good person. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Some interesting articles, but I can't think of anything LESS "manly" then discussing how to BE "manly".

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
In my opinion, we need more reminders of our 'manliness'. I've mentioned it before, but it's a big pet peeve of mine how men are being infantilised and ridiculed constantly in media and culture nowadays. I never had any strong male influences growing up, so I feel I missed out on a lot.
Time to 'man up' again Boyos! I may work in my shop and not bathe today, just because I can.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Never heard of this site before but after a quick 5 min browse, I'm IN. Bookmarked.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There was a really talented "blues shouter" stage named Screaming Jay Hawkins who, after he died, was

the subject of research trying to figure out exactly how many love children he had. They had to be careful

to authenticate this as best they could because many women who had consorted with him, and many who

hadn't, wanted credit for having his children. I think the number of authenticated progeny was around

eighty-nine. What's the relevance to this manliness website? I suppose it is that being expansively male

and masculine in ones life, and manliness, and (as Jud mentions) being a good person may be different.

Being human in the Twenty-first Century, male or female, has some complexity. Screamin' Jay wanted to

sing opera and had the voice for it, and was a spectacular piano player, and showman, and apparently

seducer.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It is a great site, definitely sign up for the emails.
Its not all about being "manly" in the macho sense. Tons of good stuff. For a great article, read the one on tampons. Amazing how many uses they have in a survival kind of situation. :D

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Being human in the Twenty-first Century, male or female, has some complexity.
Amen.

What is "manly" or "womanly" is all culturally determined, anyway, and it changes over time and culture - as was pointed out in a thread somebody did a while back about whether or not it was "feminine" for a woman to smoke a pipe. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.