PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I don't know that much about fine handmade pipes, but from what I have seen it seems like American carvers are really dominating right now. I know that there are great carvers in Italy, the UK, Denmark, etc. but it seems like what they put out costs a lot more. Perhaps collectors in other countries could weigh in- are American made fine pipes gaining popularity in Europe and other places?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I was speaking with a fella from Denmark awhile back. He definitely agreed that US carvers are better than ever and gaining a solid reputation on the world scene.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Be interesting to hear from carvers who export a significant number of their pipes. Seems like the

customs fees would sap some of the price competition, but maybe that's handled by the retailers

at the other end.

adam12

May 16, 2011
In my opinion, Russia and Ukraine have the edge as far as consistent quality right now, but in terms of sheer numbers, the US has a larger array of very good to excellent carvers.
However, I do think that the American carver scene has been bogged down in a rut for a few years with way too many carvers trying to capture a blowfish/tomato style similar to many Danish dudes. There are just too many American carvers trying to do those shapes. I think that is beginning to lessen a little, you've got great variation now that wasn't around a few years back.
By the way, I like the idea of this thread, sort of like the pipe olympics!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I sell around 200 pipes a month on my eBay site from clients the world over. I've been fortunate to have some very good wood fondled by my nicotine stained fingers. None, make that NONE, from other countries exceed some of the USA's finest carvers. Yes, there are a lot of Americans coming out of the woodwork (no pun intended), and that's a good thing because it has pushed the established great pipe makers to new heights. Are the American carvers up and coming in our hobby? A resounding NO! They are already here and making headlines the pipe world over with their outstanding functional works of art.
And in closing, I'd like to offer thanks and kudos to all the great pipe makers from around the world for making the hobby so special to me.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref adam12, the tomato shape has distinct limitations to my eye -- many of the bowls are

too shallow for the amount of briar involved, it seems to me. It's kept me from looking seriously

at that shape, despite the appeal of some of the craftsmanship.

adam12

May 16, 2011
None, make that NONE, from other countries exceed some of the USA's finest carvers.
Who specifically would you say represents "some of the USA's finest"? Because at some point, we're being subjective, which is why I drew the distinction between consistency and quantity. There aren't anywhere near the number of boutique carvers in other countries as there are in the USA, so by default does that mean those countries' best don't exceed what US carvers can do? I'm (respectfully) confused.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've been told that at the Chicago show there were a certain contingent photographing some of the work done by our top American carvers. The purpose of this seems obvious and is testimony to how in demand these grades of pipes are in demand. Beware of imitators is all I can say.
As to whether or not there's a lot of exportation or not I really don't know that it's important. There seems to be enough of us on the North American continent to keep the commission orders coming at a growing rate. That could hurt some of the overseas handmade sales here in the US at some point but it will always come down to what's affordable for a good many of us. I'd love to have a JT Cooke blast but I doubt I'd ever be able to afford one. That said there are many who can order 7 day sets so more power to them.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Who specifically would you say represents "some of the USA's finest"? Because at some point, we're being subjective, which is why I drew the distinction between consistency and quantity. There aren't anywhere near the number of boutique carvers in other countries as there are in the USA, so by default does that mean those countries' best don't exceed what US carvers can do? I'm (respectfully) confused. - Adam12
Fair question, Adam12. I hesitate to name specific American carvers who I think are top of the line because I have many personal friends among the American pipe makers and would hate to accidentally leave out one or more from my list. I do think that this and other forums as well as etail sites can give you a pretty good indication of some of the USA's best. And you hit the nail right on the head when saying we are being subjective. Until there is a way to "prove" one country's pipe makers are better than any other, then I figure its pretty much a given that it's all subjective, including "consistent quality."
My comments above are all subjective and only my opinion. And I am also being "subjective" when I say that your comment - "I do think that the American carver scene has been bogged down in a rut for a few years..." is so far out in left field that even high powered binoculars couldn't find it. :wink:
When I see what's currently being produced by American pipe makers at pipe shows and online, and the incredibly innovative and handsome pieces being displayed; well, the American (and in fact, worldwide) pipe making scene has never been better than it is today.
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
While I know this thread speaks mainly to American carvers I sure do appreciate (as I know we all do), the outstanding pipes created by artisans all over the world. I don't think any one country has pipe makers making better pipes than another anymore than I think Columbia produces better coffee beans than Costa Rica. It's all a matter of personal taste, IMO.
Pipestud

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Right now the most exciting stuff is coming from the Russians, Ukrainians, et al, but is very high priced. The Americans (i.e. all of North America) are doing wonderful work. And they are getting better and are actively pushing each other to get better. I know of several carvers who I would call journeymen who have really stepped up their game in the last year.
It is a great time to be a consumer of American pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.