PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have read the 56 short stories of the Sherlock Holmes cannon many times but this is the first time that I have read through them since I have started smoking a pipe. I decided that rather than just watching out for pipe references, I would make some notes of where pipes appear in the stories. I thought that this would be interesting.
The first 12 stories were published individually in the Strand magazine in 1891 and 1892 and then collected together in "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" in the fall of 1892. Here are my notes:
A Scandal in Bohemia

-“a glass of half and half, two fills of shag tobacco”
The Red-Headed league

-“It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won’t speak to me for fifty minutes…his black clay pipe…and put his pipe down upon the mantelpiece.”
A Case of Identity

-“Then he took down from the rack the old and oily clay pipe…and, having lit it, he leaned back in his chair, with the thick blue cloud-wreaths spinning up from him”

-“still puffing at his black clay pipe”
The Boscombe Valley Mystery

X
The Five Orange Pips

-“Then he lit his pipe, and leaning back in his chair he watched the blue smoke-rings”
The Man with the Twisted Lip

-“and lit up his pipe”

-“with an ounce of shag tobacco and a box of matches laid out in front of him. In the dim light of the lamp I saw him sitting there, an old briar pipe between his lips….blue smoke curling up”

-“The pipe was still between his lips, the smoke still curled upward, and the room was full of a dense tobacco haze, but nothing remained of the heap of shag which I had seen upon the previous night.”

-“and consuming an ounce of shag”
The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle

-“a pipe rack within his reach”
The Adventure of the Speckled Band

-“for goodness’ sake let us have a quiet pipe”
The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb

-“and smoking his before-breakfast pipe, which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day before, all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece.”
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor

X
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet

X
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

-“taking up a glowing cinder with the tongs and lighting with it the long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood.

-“during which he sat puffing at his long pipe and gazing down into the fire”
I see that in these first 12 he smokes clay, briar and cherrywood and of course "shag tobacco". No mention yet of the Persian slipper (or Moriarty for that matter). Here is a picture from the original publication of The Man with the Twisted Lip from Strand in 1891:

sherlock_holmes_-_the_man_with_the_twisted_lip-558x600.jpg

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I was amused that a "three pipe problem" amounted to a mere 50 minutes. That's 16.66 minutes per pipe. I envision shag being most like the RYO tobacco of today, very dry and hence fast burning. Generally not considered to be a very gourmet smoke.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
long cherry-wood pipe which was wont to replace his clay when he was in a disputatious rather than a meditative mood.
I don't know if I actually like the Cherry-Wood shape, but I've wanted one since I read that line.
I also re-read all the original stories since I started smoking a pipe, but I didn't think to make specific notes.
Good job, and thanks!

May 31, 2012
Good stuff!

:puffpipe:
I need to go back a reread the Canon.
Sherlockiana provides much enjoyment.
A recent find made me very excited:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/upon-the-distinction-between-the-ashes-of-the-various-tobaccos-by-sh
:idea:

:!:

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Fan of the british tv show. I'm wondering if he smokes a pipe next season. it won't air till 2017. Only three seasons with three episodes a piece. But definitely worth a watch.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
On another note, lots of pipe smoking in Apocolypse World War 2. Martin Sheen narrates it. Really good six piece documentary.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I bought the collected works a few years ago. I made sure my books were printed in the 1950's because I was afraid that if I bought new editions they would be "PC'd" to substitute any reference to smoking to something like bubble gum chewing.. ie, a 3 pipe problems becomes a 3 stick bubble gum problem.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I envision shag being most like the RYO tobacco of today, very dry and hence fast burning. Generally not considered to be a very gourmet smoke.
And yet he was known to smoke up to a pound of it in a single sitting. No wonder he dabbled with morphine, he needed it for the tongue bite! ;)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
One of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, just released a short story about Sherlock Holmes called "The Case of Death and Honey."
It basically picks up after Sherlock's retirement, tending to bees, and tells a wonderful story spanning two parallel narratives.
Well worth the read if you can find it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb

“...and smoking his before-breakfast pipe, which was composed of all the plugs and dottles left from his smokes of the day before, all carefully dried and collected on the corner of the mantelpiece.”
Gives new meaning to "early morning pipe"!

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
A few weeks ago, I bought an unread, 2 volume set of Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes. In the late 1970s/early 80s, I read the stories and novels aloud to my then wife.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I have yet to finish reading Sherlock Holmes for the first time but I am loving it.
NorthernNeil I am guessing this is the Neil Gaiman story?
I have been reading numerious books by Ruth Park (a New Zealand/ Australian author) who makes some interesting references to pipe smoking in her books that are always enjoyable to see.

elmafudd2

Lurker
Nov 16, 2015
Wonderful stories and such an amazing character! One of the reasons for my introduction into the world of the pipe!!! (Einstein is there also!!!!)

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've struggled with watching Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett shows on youtube. So I was fortunate to run across on ebay the complete works of both actors on DVD. I'm very happy to get those movies. I have read through the complete book of Sherlock Holmes once and enjoyed that as well.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I recently reread the original collection. The book came from my sister in law who was in University at the time. The book was for a Lit class and the author seems the wrong title perhaps editor is closer had interesting little facts in the forward and in the stories. Interesting point he pointed out, Holmes never says "Elementary my dear Watson" in the stories. I paid attention as I read but did tend to get lost in the stories. I did not find that line in the stories which surprised me as I thought that it was in one of the stories. If anyone knows a original story that Holmes uses that line please let me know. Always loved Holmes and Watson and their adventures. I have always questioned how the evil doer in The Adventures of the Specaled Band managed to train a snake to do anything much less crawl up and down the rope. Snakes do not train as far as I know lol.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A few weeks ago, I bought an unread, 2 volume set of Baring-Gould's Annotated Sherlock Holmes.
That's vast amounts of fun - I've had a copy for years. Did read it all the way through, once.

I also own the old Doubleday hardcover omnibus, which I bought when I was in college. I recently re-read the 4 novels. It might be time to re-read the shorts,as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.