PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So, after much debating, and cold puffing a bowl of Amphora Full Aroma for about an hour, the century old KB&B Canadian bulldog received its first flame. Many variables figured into my decision to smoke it.

-I've never smoked a pipe with an amber stem
-The draw was amazingly open for a pipe from that era
-The thought that it had waited for a century to fulfill its purpose
As for the smoking, just wow! The taste of the raw briar is intoxicating and that very open draw nearly allows the pipe to smoke itself. The amber stem feels a little like silky glass, and definitely makes me want to find more pipes with them. Probably shouldn't have smoked it, but the chance to be the first to smoke a pipe that old may never come again.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I am, horribly. I just set fire to a time capsule for my own filthy enjoyment. Bad Embers, bad! :rofl:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The title had me worried. "That poor old lady". Turns out you were talking about a pipe or something?
Haha
You did the right thing brother! :)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
100 Years huh? So that was made in 1916. Wow, that should feel weird. I mean to smoke a pipe that has been made 100 years ago. Damn. Congrats Captain!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ach du lieber!! Sounds AWESOME AMAZING INCREDIBLE and once in a lifetime!! I never even seen a real amber stem in person! And I have several older estates that I really love and wish they could talk... I can only imagine where they've been and what they've seen... and none of them are members of the century club!! Stunning deal all the way around, chasingmembers! Hurrah!!! :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Glad to hear you smoked it. I agree it was a tough decision, but it will serve you better doing what it was designed to do.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Not to worry you weren't the first, I've done, am proud of it, as you should be, and if given the chance would do it again, congratulations

banjo

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Bravo! Way to use what was meant to be used.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Personally - I think that's cool in that you finally completed it's intended journey.
Pics of the pipe? I'd like to see it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
100 Years huh? So that was made in 1916. Wow, that should feel weird. I mean to smoke a pipe that has been made 100 years ago. Damn. Congrats Captain!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/401138319308

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Hell, for less than $300 its not like it was made from king tuts shin bone and you couldn't ever find something similar again. Would you ever forgive yourself if you did it in two years and it smokes Black Frigate to perfection?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Would you ever forgive yourself if you did it in two years and it smokes Black Frigate to perfection?
You do have a point. Have smoked four bowls so far, and must say I couldn't be happier. I am noticing some surface cracking along the length of the shank even though the bowl isn't getting hot that I'm blaming on heat moisture after haven't been ever smoked for a century. I imagine the briar was bone dry and the sudden introduction of moisture caused a bit of swelling. Not at all unhappy for that occurance as it still smokes like a champ, the old girl is just showing her age. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.