Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

The $100 pipe collection

(15 posts)
  1. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the low quality photo! A few posts got me thinking about pipes and prices. Especially when new pipes costing a hundred bucks or more have some serious defect. Here is a post expounding one of the positive attributes of estate pipes (they can be cheap!). Of course that 20 buck Stanwell brushed pipe deal is outstanding. Here is a modest collection of pipes that all together cost about 100 American dollars, although they were bought in Europe in Euros.
    From top left down and then right:
    BBB Own Make with hallmarks dating it to 1899
    Jarl Chieftan
    Peterson Kildare 106
    Vauen Interstyle 99 Pot white dot stem
    Savinelli Straight Grain C 623
    Made for Pfeifen Huber Andreas Bauer Meer
    Peterson Kapruf XL90 (based on others in the estate perhaps early 1960s)
    Charatan's Make 149 from early 1960s
    Stanwell Relief 234 (unsmoked and in sock)

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me these 9 well made pipes in good condition fulfill my pipe smoking needs.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice collection indeed. I still can't believe all of those beauties can cost $100 in total.

Javan
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may have bought them in a lot for all I know, but they have the look of having been carefully selected at flea markets, online, or where ever. They are a really handsome grouping of traditional shapes in seemingly fine condition. I should have such considered restraint, but they are all you need.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a nice collection for a very nice price! Thanks for posting.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That comes to $11 a piece. Very nice!

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Very nicely done! My hat's off to you.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great! The pipe is a tool. If you get a good smoke out of it, it works.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. spartan99

spartan99

Login to Send PM

Excellent bargain hunting.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

Wow. Very good!

Find what you love, and let it kill you.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great! The pipe is a tool. If you get a good smoke out of it, it works.
    Could not have said it better myself! Sums it up...

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great group of pipes right there at more than twice the price, all cleaned up nice and pretty.
    They all look like they'd be great to smoke!
    I'd love to hear you expound on some of their functional qualities. Which is the one you grab first?
    I've not smoked a 'comfort' stem (nor a Charatan, for that matter, lol) Always thought it looked comfortable.
    The Jarl Chieftan and the Savinelli 'pug' look like one's I'd grab, too.
    Not that I mean I wouldn't 'grab' any one of them, I'm sorta ranking the ones that appeal off the page first, and not as how much they're 'valued', but how much I might like using them.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I probably have that much tied up in my collection as well. It helps when they come in lots and you sell what you don't like. I have a little sum of money I set aside for this hobby and I think I'm doing it right.

Nice little collection there!

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many non-pipe smokers or those who have quit aren't tapped into estate pipe culture at all and consider a few bucks for a used pipe a satisfactory deal, no matter what. When you encounter these situations at yard sales, flea markets, or wherever, you can really save money and get excellent pipes in the process. And the sellers get their several bucks, which is what they want ... win-win.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks fellas! I think my motivation in posting this, besides bragging, is to point out that pipe smoking can be as cheap or expensive as we want it to be. For that matter it can be as simple or complicated as we want (witness the different stances on how to pack a bowl). For someone starting out it may be daunting to see that new briar pipes can be costly. Then again there are some outstanding deals on the estate market and lots of how-to information online for restoring pipes. This forum, for example, is a great resource. I've seen some incredible pipes that are beautiful to behold but out of my price range at this time. It's not my intention to put down the expensive pipes I've seen.

I'd love to hear you expound on some of their functional qualities. Which is the one you grab first?

The Jarl is very new to me. I just acquired it this past week and wanted to clean it first. I've only smoked it once but it smoked very well. I think it may become one I go to often. It is light (I clench while walking) and I like the size of the bowl. I like that little Charatan's Make pot a lot and it is frequently the pipe I reach for. The double comfort bit is comfortable but I wouldn't say it much more so than others. Next is the Stanwell Relief which smokes very well, is sturdy, and often the one I use. I love smoking the 120 year old BBB. It has one of those old orific bits and just seems to smoke very well. I like the way it looks and it connects me with the past. I'd smoke it even more often except that all my smoking is done outside and I worry about harming it by smoking it too hot in wind. It's made it 120 years so I feel the need to baby it a little. I smoke the Peterson XL90 the least. The meer I mostly use when I'm trying a new blend for the first time. I like the Savinelli but it is a bit sharp on the side of my mouth. I may try to lightly sand down the sharp edge. The Peterson billiard is okay, I think of it as an expendable pipe to use in rough conditions. The Vauen pot is really big and wide and I like it for trying out complicated blends.

Okay, apologies for grammatical and other mistakes. I'm severely sleep deprived. My young son has had an ear infection and the poor little guy simply can't get much sleep. We'll be going to a doctor in the morning. Breaks my heart to see him suffer.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, danimalia, aldecaker, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe