PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=214236
But then, I think any tamper other than a random twig or a finger is stupid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am so intensely pleased with the pipe nail or the horseshoe nail for its negligible cost and all-purpose design, with a $3 Czech tool as the runner up, that tampers always seem too much clutter for the already cluttered pipe rack. Nonetheless, I do sort of love the variety and novelty of 'em. For twenty bucks, and with its attractive "chrome" top piece and tamper end, this might make a good gift. I received a little willow wood (?) tamper with a Two Cousins pipe rack, and though I don't use it often, I keep it around as a sort of talisman. I have a weakness for pipe stuff. Also have a little brebbia pocket-knife-like pipe tool. When in need, a twig or thumb do nicely, it is true.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Big fan of the o'l pipe nail or cheap Czech tool, in my shop I use a 3 inch piece of 5/8 dowel I keep on the bench

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
What's so stupid? Many of us regularly pay hundreds, sometimes well over a thousand dollars for a block of wood with two holes and a piece of rubber or plastic sticking out of it! Just because you don't care for them, doesn't make them stupid, you can use your finger or a pipe nail or a fu@king golf tee for all I care, I would not refer to those choices are stupid, simply different than my own. I....and others, use nice tampers because they enhance our smoking experience, simple as that.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I have a half dozen pipe nails that the nearest B&M has sitting in a bucket at the counter for $.99 each. They do magnificently well for me.
I have a $3 Czech tool as well, and it hardly ever gets used. Pipe nails are just MUCH too effective and convenient for me to ever really consider using anything else.
I'd never fault anyone for buying a fancy tamper, though. Life is short, spend your money on things you enjoy. But me, I'll hang onto that $20 for something I like a little more than a pipe tamper :D

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If I owned a Tsuge Bamboo pipe (I don't) I might like to have a matching tamper to satisfy my OCD. I think for what it is it's fairly priced but I'll keep using my Rockwell Binge; it opens my beer too!

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I guess I enjoy the simplicity of a pipe nail, form and function. Or maybe I'm a cheap old fart, anyway $20 will buy a couple tins.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nah, not all that stupid considering it's price and if you are into tampers Personally, I more often than not use a simple pipe nail, the tamper on my Corona Pipemaster lighter, or in a pinch, my finger. Now, if you want to see stupid and overpriced simply because it has the tiny name of Dunhill stamped on it look at THIS. I have exactly the same tamper which I believe I paid about $8.00 for some years ago sans the name of Dunhill stamped on it. How will I ever live with the shame!

Dec 24, 2012
I think its kind of cool. I like my tampers to have a convex end though, so you can tamp the sides of the chamber while leaving the center of the tobacco higher than the sides.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What's so stupid? Many of us regularly pay hundreds, sometimes well over a thousand dollars for a block of wood with two holes and a piece of rubber or plastic sticking out of it! Just because you don't care for them, doesn't make them stupid, you can use your finger or a pipe nail or a fu@king golf tee for all I care, I would not refer to those choices are stupid, simply different than my own. I....and others, use nice tampers because they enhance our smoking experience, simple as that.
+1 !! I not only make stupid tampers but I collect tampers and pipe tools,both handmade and factory made. Would love to have a half dozen each of the Ming Kahuna and Zap Zap tampers and they cost more than a lousy $20.00 !!

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I'm not a fan of the bamboo or the cost but I do like the key ring attachment.
That being said, a single $20 investment for a lifetime tool versus $10-20 per tin for premium pipe tobacco many times over? Many would argue that the latter is equally, if not more so, stupid. Everything is relative.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It's not just bamboo, but has the metal (silver?) pick and fittings too.
I don't spend a lot on accessories, so I probably wouldn't buy it either. (Even though it would go very nicely with my Ichirin

pipe)
tsuge_zps4lfsbzsd.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had a beautiful tamper made by Cosmic (Michael). It's .925 silver set with a Mexican opal I bought several years ago. It cost me a few bucks, but it soooo nice. Nothing like it in the world.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I agree that value is in the eye of the beholder. Really pipe smoking at all is kinda a waste of money if you are practical about it. But to me, a pipe or a tin of good tobacco serve a specific purpose that is hard to substitute. A stick is...a stick. That said, maybe I should saw up that 2.00 5 ft bamboo stick in the garage. If I can find some fittings that would be like 350.00 profit!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Hiplainsdrifter,

No, you didn't hit any "nerve". I am just sad for you, sad that you feel compelled to berate other people's choices, especially since they affect your own life in no way at all. I wish you only pleasant smoking and hope that you might see a little more beauty in well executed craftsmanship in all things, even the humble pipe tamper.
Philobeddoe

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Golf Tees - natural unfinished hardwood, 3.25", 90 count for $3.27 ($0.036 each) @ Walmart.

A disposable pipe nail, & like an MM cob, no weeping & gnashing of teeth if broken or lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.