PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So for Christmas my dear wife had bought me 2 pipes, which she is an avid non-smoker so this was a big step for her. A Rattray's Kelpy for my birthday (dec.24th) and a Peterson Rosslare for Christmas. Well I have been smoking both of these only (when I can smoke because of mouth issue from previous post). Well today I had that AHHH smoke! The one where you have finally got the thing broke in and the tobacco is starting to taste yummy. Now I know some love the first smoke, when the tobacco and briar are both fresh. But for me I don't, I tend to enjoy a nice cake making it more enjoyable. Now the peterson has acouple more to get it to that point, but its getting close.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes! That first nutty broke in taste. Wonderful stuff! One of the reasons I like already broke in estates.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
One of the reasons I like already broke in estates.
I am NOT one of those guys that relish the taste of raw briar. It's like breaking in a MM Cob. NOT one of my favorites either...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a L'Anatra billiard that tasted "green" for, I swear, over 100 smokes! (Yes, I was anal enough to keep track!)

It finally came around and is now an excellent pipe -- but it was an exercise in perseverance.
I'm glad you had a better time with yours, John. BTW, belated Happy Birthday! :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm too easily pleased, I guess, and usually enjoy a new pipe from the first bowl. But between tobacco

blends, I can be really picky and persnickety.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well happy belated birthday, and congrats on the new pipes! Glad to hear you're more your old self and can now enjoy those Ahhh moments again.
I'm not too fussy about breaking in a new pipe, but I do feel that one with a little cake in it smokes a bit better. Guess that's why I'm always buying estate pipes and cleaning them up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.