PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
Came home from my sixth Vegan Thanksgiving Potluck with more then just leftovers this year. A friend of mine who also attends, owns a antique store in Neguanee and happens to collect pipes. His real passion is American patent pipes from the 20's and 30's, so he was willing to part with a Dunhill he had gotten in a lot he bought awhile back. With a price tag of only $50, I walked outta there with my first Dunhill. A 1961 Shell Briar Billiard.
dunhill-600x450.jpg

Sorry for the lousy picture but I know the kind of trouble I'd catch if I didn't put up any at all. The bowl is in good shape but the replacement stem is a little loose. I'm thinking of sending it off to Walker's for a full clean over and a fresh stem! The cake build up isn't to bad but the airway is pretty dirty. The stampings are a little faded, but I can't see any evidence of anything ever being stamped inside the circle that usually indicates the bowl size? Is it possible that the stamp was so light it has worn off? Or does a lack of a number mean something?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
great pick up for $50. I cant answer the question about the number though. im sure someone will chime in when they are back form the holidays

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
@Uber, I'm not a vegan but a vegetarian. My wife and I don't own a car and live 5 hours drive from our family. We have been doing the potluck since it started 6 years ago. It's a great way to eat a lot and only prepare one or two dishes. The biggest benefit is being able to eat everything offered without concern for content.
And on he stem, exactly my thought! The guy collects pipes but doesn't smoke them, so I felt it was my duty to rescue this pipe. :) Just finished a bowl of a nice dark English blend in it and it smokes just as well as I had hoped. The hard part will be sending it off to get the new stem, but entirely worth it.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
@Uber, had an advantage with the diet as I have never enjoyed the taste of meat.
To the pipe, I thought it might help to spell out all the nomenclature I can decipher on the pipe. What follows is an approximation of the stamp on the shank.
LB F / DUNHILL MADE IN

/ T SHELL BRIAR ENGLAND1 OS
The "LB" and "OS" are centered of course. Perhaps I can get a scan of it at work tomorrow.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
The "1" after "England" is for 1961. the Circle with a 5 in it is the group size. The stem my tighten after a few smokes. Great luck! and a good score.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great score, Orion. If a couple of smokes won't tighten everything up a little beeswax might do the trick. Let me know if you need some, friend. I'll gladly share the 200 year supply I was gifted.
Fnord

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
@Loneredtree, perhaps you misunderstood. There is no number in the circle. Group five or six sounds right as it is a hefty chunk of briar. It's not that I need to know, I was just curious if the empty circle was on purpose to indicate something.
@Fnord, thanks for the offer but I have a five pound hunk sitting on my bench right now. By the way, what does your avatar say?
Unfortunately it's not just loose but also wobbles a bit from side to side. Still smoke like a dream. I'll just keep patient till my next check and send it off for a new stem. I might customize it by having an acrylic stem made for it, white dot and all!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great find, that is my birth year so a guaranteed classic! That stem may well tighten considerably with use, particuarly if it has not been smoked in a long while. Give it a few bowls and let us know. You can also try a little clear fingernail polish or even superglue on the tenon. (superglue never wears off like nail polish)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The LB is your shape number, I do not think they had a number in a circle (but am probably wrong on that). For $50, even with the replacement stem, you got a heck of a deal. LB's are highly sought after as they quit making that shape. Even with the replacement stem and properly refurbished, you could probably sell it for a few hundred bucks easy.
Great score!! I would get it professionally cleaned up and enjoy it for years to come.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
This is the most complete site I have found on the subject and is also where I'm getting the whole number in a circle from.
http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/shell-briar1.html
My stamp is very similar to the sixth pipe down, but as previously mentioned lacks a number within the circle? I think I may need to track down a Dunhill expert to figure this one out.
Also for those wondering, I do plan to send it in within the next few months when money becomes more available. It's more then worth it to get this thing fixed proper... but in the mean time, can't do much harm smoking it!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Just now read this! I picked up a beautiful old ***MYSTERY ITEM*** from the Old Bank Building Antiques a few weeks back to send as a present, I think the receiving party is going to blow his/her mind. Our semi-mutual friend, and proprietor of that store is truly a class act and I look forward to giving him much more of my business! Very nice score indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.