PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
So, now we are officially into fall (having beautiful weather here), and I can feel the change in seasons and sense what we are about to enjoy for the next 4-6 months. The leaves are falling, animals are preparing for winter and the wolly bear catepillar is predicting a colder than normal winter. With the change in seasons, the snow getting ready to make an appearance and the colder temperatures in most places, my mind begins to wander to thoughts of both Thanksgiving and Christmas that are really not that far away. In Canada, Thanksgiving is just over 2 weeks away, in the United States about another 6 weeks, and Christmas not too long after that.
Being a noob in wonderful world of pipes, I have begun to wonder what specific tobacco's people smoke to celebrate the season and the upcoming holidays as I am looking for something that fits well with this time of the year. I am a Latakia lover and have recently discovered flake tobacco, which I really enjoy, but I am not so much an aromatic fan. Have found Peterson's (Irish Flake), Dunhill (EMP & NC) and McClelland (Frog Morton) tobacco's to be what I enjoy the most to date. Any suggestions for a seasonal tobacco I might enjoy for the upcomming season?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
In the fall and winter, I tend to smoke even more heavy lat blends then I do in the summer. Got a tin of 10 Russians going now; gonna pop one of Penzance very soon, and just got in a bunch of Star of the East Flake. I smoke lat blends all year round; just tend to have more of them in the rotation in the cooler weather.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are an English lover then you need to try Esoterica's Penzance. It is one of the finest English blends on the market. McClellend has their 2012 Christmas Cheer available now. I would also recommend Gl Pease JackKnife Plug and some Haddo's Delight. Both the Pease blends are full flavored, full bodied and heavy in the nicotine department.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I also tend to smoke latakia blends in the colder weather,(but also smoke them year round) I have yet to get into VA & VA/PER blends, which I hear are good for cold nights??

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
You may want to give Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding at try.
English/Balkan Pressed Tobacco Rich blend of Latakia, Orientals, Virginias, Perique and a little something extra. Say Hello to Plum Pudding™ ! Ahhh, what an exquisite tobacco! This Seattle Pipe Club Blend was created by our own blending guru, Joe Lankford. Plum Pudding is simply a legend in our Club. Many members say it is their perfect tobacco. Delicious, smoky, spicy and positively addictive. Problem was, Joe nearly wore himself out blending so many special requests. So our friends at PipesandCigars.com are blending the precious mixture to Joe’s exacting specifications. Now our Club treasure is available to the world—in limited quantities. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Im with the rest of you. I tend to lean toward the heavier english blends when the weather turns cold. It was interesting last year during deer season that I had two does come to my stand to smell the Latakia tobacco. Unfortunatly no doe tag so it was just a watch and observe.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I would have to agree that Latakia would seem to work well in colder temps.
Heard good things about Esoterica's Penzance, but looks like 4noggins does not carry it, anyone know of a supplier that can ship this to Canada?
The McClellend 2012 Christmas Cheer catches my interest, does it come in a 50g tin (could not find) as 100g is a lot for something I am not 100% that I like.
Oddly, the Dunhill NC is not quite as good as I had hoped, but I will give it a try when it gets colder out to see if my perception changes. Perhaps it just needs to age a bit, not ready to give up on it.
I am going to order a couple that have been suggested and give them a try.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I get a few 100g tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer every year, smoke one between Thanksgiving and New Year's and cellar the rest. It's a Virginia flake cut though, not an English blend. The 2012 is their 10th anniversary of this limited quantity tobacco blend.
Is the McClelland Chistmas Cheer really that good? At this point, I don't know my Virginia flake cut from my English blend, but especially if it is rheir 10th aniversary of this blend, I might have to try to locate a 50g tin. I will check with my Canadian supplier and see if they might be getting any in soon. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.