PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse has been helping me for a while now in my pursuit of a Pre Transition Barling. I asked him how many do I need to own before I am a collector, he said 2. I just picked up my second Pre Trans on ebay yesterday. I won an auction from the same guy I got my first from for the exact same price that my first cost. If we have a math major, could you figure the odds on that. The first Barling smoked so well that I figured I should grab a few more. This pipe is right in the sweet zone size and weight wise and I love Apple's. It has some nice birdseye and cross grain. I am sure these pics are not doing it justice.
s-l1600%202_zps8doycvgp.jpg

s-l1600%201_zpsneyyi3us.jpg

s-l1600%206_zpswky7vgs1.jpg

s-l1600_zps9bmzkq8y.jpg

s-l1600%205_zpsmdwvzjun.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm no mathemagician, but wouldn't the odds be 100%, since it actually happened? :)

Anyway, nice pipe. Looks like Sable does have a new convert. Or is he actually going by "Ol Saddlebrush" now?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No! Please, Lord, NO!!!!
Darlings - or Barlings—thanks, spell checker!—are only for the eccentric. I have three or four, and am more eccentric than either Harris or Jesse. So there!
Does the crossed BARLING logo on the stem (apparently not on this beauty, and my what a beauty!) cover only certain years? Actually, pretty sure it does, so what are those years?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, Jesse has a huge number of Barling's, so if he doesn't get a few more, I don't feel sorry for him. I will leave it up to him if he wants to tell people how many thousand Barling's he owns.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Another "High Roller" in the Barling market. Sable's investments just keep getting better. Harris you thought he was helping. Actually he was just "improving" the market. No flies on Jesse or if there are, they pay rent.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Harris, nice Ye Olde Pipe. :wink: jpmcwjr, if you look at the listing, the pipe does have the BARLING'S logo on the stem.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice pipe.
And now the question that needs to be asked: any oxidation issues with the stem?
I love old pipes, but I have had terrible luck with them. When I look at the stems they seem to go green.
I recall at the Chicago show last year, sitting with one old-timer listening to him extoll the virtues of "old briar", all while he had an old Comoy in his mouth with a stem that looked like Kermit's pecker.
Now, with Harris, because of his rampant venereal disease, the stem may well go green for other reasons, but nevertheless, I am curious to know how you have found them so far.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The crossed Barling stem logo first started appearing around the mid 1920's. I've seen Barlings hallmarked as early as 1923 with a stem that had the logo on it, nut you can't be certain that the stem is original. But one 1925 hallmarked Barling Freak with a custom shaped stem also had that logo. So mide 1920's. The stem logo remained in use.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I do believe I'll be jumping on the Barling bandwagon as well. Whenever I see a line for something, I absolutely must get whatever it is which inspires such passion. I once spent 12hrs in line with no idea what the line was for... it ended up being for something called an "iPhone" or some such nonsense. Everyone else seemed to want one, therefor I wanted one also. I have a room where I keep these "I Waited In Line" Trophies. I also have an "I Waited In Line For 12 Hours & All I Got Was A Stupid Smartphone" t-shirt. I'm not sure what a Barling is, but I must have some!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
peck, I have a freaking Upshall that turns after one smoke. This Barling so far has been fine after 2 smokes. Obidisian will keep this puppy looking good. It all depends on sulpher content,and this Barling seems too not have much of it. I was very hesitant to get involved with older British pipes because of the oxidization issue as I have nothing to polish a stem. jiminks was hounding me to buy one and then I contacted our resident expert Jesse and he imparted all his wisdom so now I am the resident expert and will have a massive collection of Barlings that will be the envy of all mankind.

Oh yeah Peck, never had VD, pussy eating thing, now that is possible.
nate, do yourself a favor wait till I am done, you don't want to go heads up with me on ebay. I will let you know when you can start looking at Barlings. If you do not heed my advice, don't say I didn't warn ya. :nana:
Jesse, I knew that about the stem and would have told everyone if you hadn't already done so(yeah right). Thanks for the info as always.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This thread has convinced me to sell off my current pipes, cash in my IRA, sell my truck, and put every dime toward ebay Barlings.
Hell yeah.
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Hoovering up the PipeWorld's good Barlings for the next couple years is my new reason to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.