PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I know that there is or was a spoiler-free movie review thread, but I couldn't find it - and I did actually use the forum search function, so I dunno.
But I thought I would create a thread here in general discussion where those of us who have Netflix could let others know about movies that can be found on Netflix that we might enjoy. Thanks to Netflix, I have found so many great, wonderful, and sometimes terrible low-budget horror or action flicks that I probably never would have ever even heard about, let alone watch.
Tonight I watched a horror flick from 2004 called Madhouse. Starring one of the guys from The Blair Witch Project, Josh, and the always epic Lance Henriksen, Madhouse is about a mental hospital where... some crazy stuff goes on. I was skeptical, and the acting and all is a little on the B-movie side of things, but I wound up enjoying it. I wouldn't run out and buy it on Blu-Ray, but it's worth a spot in your Instant Queue.
Some other ones:

Session 9 - A note: This movie is so low-budget that it is no budget, but don't let that turn you off. It's actually REALLY good, and features some of David Caruso's most horrific acting ever. Trust me, it's worth a watch.

Death of a Ghost Hunter

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder - not as good as the first one, but a billion times better than the 2nd!

Fragile - A Fangoria horror movie. Pretty fun.

The Devil Inside - yet another movie about demonic possession and exorcism, it's a pretty decent movie with what is probably the single worst ending of all time.

American Horror Story - I missed this when it was on the television, but thanks to Netflix I got to watch the entire first season. All I can say is that it was the single oddest series I've ever watched. Not great, not bad, just odd.

Treasure Island - the 2 part miniseries that aired on BBC last year. A bit different than the original that we all loved as kids, and I hate how they changed the Squire, but it was still really good.

Ironclad - a Knight Templar and "friends" defend Rochester Castle from King John, who is wonderfully played by Paul Giamatti.

The New Daughter - a suspenseful thriller/horror starring Kevin Costner, and IMHO it's one of his very best movies. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Black Death - a Knight, played by Sean "Boromir" Bean, is sent by the church to investigate a village where no one is affected by the bubonic plague. Pretty darn good.

Red Cliff - Director John Woo's take on the historical battle of Red Cliff between Shu, Wu, and Wei during the Three Kingdoms period of China. Such an amazing movie; I loved every minute of it (and there's a LOOOOOOOT of minutes here, even in the greatly cut-down theatrical version), but I wish it would have had an English soundtrack rather than just subtitles. I don't understand a lick of Chinese. But if you can put up with reading a lot of subtitles, you will find one of the most amazing movies you've never seen here.
If that's not enough, there's still every episode of Married: With Children, Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation, Family Guy, Sons of Anarchy (up to season 4)... if you only slept one hour a day and did nothing else but watch Netflix you still wouldn't be able to live long enough to see everything!
And in February, Netflix will begin airing the American version of House of Cards staring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. If you watch (it's going to be an amazing show) you just might see little ol' me in three or four episodes and you will be able to say "I knew him before he become a huge star"! Lmao. :rofl:
There, that'll get y'all started. What movies available on Netflix do YOU think I should see? Let me know! :D

Jul 15, 2011
Dont know about movies but they just added the TV show "Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia," which is about the funniest damn show I have seen in a long time. Well worth watching and it is just hilarious. Sexy Beast is a great Ben Kingsley movie that they added recently too, but I dont know if its still on there.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Oh God yes, It's Always Sunny is hysterical. And if you like that, then I am sure that you liked Arrested Development and Netflix is bringing it back! They're going to start shooting new episodes of the show soon.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
No, I actually haven't watched past the credits. But since you asked that question, now I know that I have to! lol. Think I will watch it again this weekend and let the credits roll.
But when it comes to a movie that you MUST smoke a pipe while watching - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World DEMANDS that you puff while you watch.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Rondyr - Thanks for the good write up on NetFlix. I love John Woo films and I'll always be willing to pay money to listen to Paul Giamatti read out of a telephone directory.
Pipe Novelist - As much as I admire a deranged Ben Kingsley performance - "House of Sand and Fog" and "You Kill Me" certainly come to mind - Ray Winstone's character "Gal" tore the ass out of "Sexy Beast."

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
As I am sure we all know, Fnord's avatar is Fredo from Godfather Part II, the second greatest movie ever made; the first greatest movie of all time (OF ALL TIME) is The Godfather. Part III... not so much.
And Jaws. I have seen Jaws hundreds of times and never, ever get tired of it.
...none of which are currently available on Netflix, and neither is Master and Commander, so it took me about thirty seconds to go off-topic in my own thread. :rofl:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/troll-hunter-and-other-netflix-finds#post-327612

here is the thread I believe you were talking about.

I used this too find some great Netflix finds and am sure I will on this thread also. Will share my comments here also.

Thanks for starting this.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
If you like gritty biker shows Sons Of Anarchy is pretty good. The theme is loosely based on Shakespere's Hamlet

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
"The Tudors" is awesome!

"Hero's"; two words Hayden Panettiere

"Number's"; good mental thriller.

"Diry Job's"

"Breaking Bad"; one of my favorite's

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm trying to watch all of Cheers on Netflix. So far I'm up to the 2nd season. One of my favorite shows of all time. I still remember rushing home to watch Cheers with my family.

Jan 8, 2013
Just discovered that Dragonslayer is on Netflix. I loved that movie as a kid, and it's one of those that helped develop my love of fantasy. I am willing to bet it will be a great pipe smoking movie. I'm about to find out :)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Just finished The Grey, awesome movie, thanx for the recommendation!!

Anthonyrosenthal thanx for the tip on watching thru the credits :clap: :clap:

Jan 8, 2013
@ venturer you're very welcome. I've gotten into the habit of watching movies through, or at least forwarding through the credits. It seems they like to add those little tidbits at the end of movies these days.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
some of the funniest stuff I have seen so far has been "Trailer Park Boys". I have watched every episode available on Netflix :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.