PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
First, I wanted to thank everyone who recommended getting a jewelry polishing cloth for removing tarnish from the metal portions of my Peterson pipes.

Speaking of Peterson, here's my new problem: I bought an Atlantic 106 billiard, truly one of the most beautiful pipes produced by that company. Unfortunately, the glossy finish over the blue stain, started to bubble and slough off. Peterson has been silent about the matter, so I'm now looking for someone who can do the job of restoration. Any suggestion?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Take the glossy finish off with high proof alcohol. Then wax the pipe and buff with a rag. I had a black glossy pipe do that. It looks better now with a semi-gloss finish.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Acetone and a cotton ball will remove the shell without damaging the briar. Some clear coats have the color mixed in, so it’s tough to know without seeing it. It will need waxed afterwards if you want the shine back.

Sparrow, you are a hardcore fan, and I like that. Peterson’s should give you an award for being the most enduring and loving fan. I say this because out of all of the many pipes I own, very few have required me to do something to them or even given me a problem. But, you have had a time with a plethora of issues with every Pete you own, or at least the ones you’ve posted about. Yet, you remain loyal and steadfast. It’s like a collector of cars who only buys the ones that require constant engine repairs, drivetrain issues, and bodywork. Yet, you remain dedicated.
I see two routes... you can contact the company again, and see if they will give you a new one and an award for more devout fan, or you can learn some pipe repair skills, which might serve you well with you choice in pipes. Either way, I respect the hell out of your loyalty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds as if this is a new pipe, since otherwise the finish issue would have been resolved with the first owner. As the previous posts indicate, this can be resolved with a bit of work, and that's good. I'd still take it up with the retailer or with Peterson, just to keep them honest about quality control. Finishes should not bubble off with the first week or over the life of the pipe. You may not want to take much time with this, especially if you resolve the problem to your satisfaction and are enjoying the pipe. But Peterson needs to know, and do better. I have (I think) five or six Petes, and I've been lucky, no problems at all, but that's all the more reason I want Peterson to maintain their best standards. I think as their sales have stayed strong their QC has wavered. Mine happened to be well produced and are old work horses in the stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.