PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Yesterday, out of the blue, I received another package from Cortez. I just want to publically say thanks! There was a bunch more Dark Bird's Eye which I love, a bunch of Grousemoore which I've been very curious about, and a nice sample of Erinmore Flake, which I've also been very curious about.
I took everything out of the vacuum bags, and fluffed up like you recommended and put into mason jars. I smoke the heck out of that Dark Bird's Eye, so I'm glad to have plenty more!
Thank you so much, Cortez. You're a great guy, and very thoughtful. I'm a lakelands lover, and now my repertoire is much larger!
I have enjoyed the variety very much, and there's a few blends you've sent that I will definitely have to always keep in stock, but I have thoroughly enjoyed them all!

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Is Grousemoore a lakeland? I am very curious about that style of tobaccos and I have heard good things about Grousemoore so I may have to grab myself some!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, you're very welcome Bryan. These were a couple of jars that I didn't know I had.

I was happy to find a Lakelands smoker since I just can't handle them myself.

I don't know if Grousemoor is technically a Lakeland, but it seems floral to me.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The gentlemen on this site are so cool, it's hard to keep up. I've been sent samples of tobacco as well, and I've sent out my own share. For a bunch of stereotype old goats puffing on pipes, you are the best. (And you tolerate weird art too--how cool is that?)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Is PS Golden Dansk a Lakeland? I was getting heavy floral scents and flavors from it.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
What's kind of funny is the most "lakeland essence" tasting tobacco I amoke is Condor, but it's actually Irish, now owned by a Japanese tobacco giant. When i think Lakeland essense, it's a flowery flavor that some consider soapy, over a very high nicotine base tobacco, usually primarily dark fired virginia and sometimes a little Burley.
I wouldn't consider grousemoore to have this essence after smoking it for the first time. It is by far the strangest tasting tobacco I have ever smoked. The flavor is very strong, but the smoke very mild. The flavoring is honey and lemon and very in your face. My wife is an avid daily tea drinker, and uses tons of lemon and honey. I think this is the only tobacco she has ever smelled and actually liked! I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, and will need to explore it some more.
If you really want to try lakelands, below I will give my opinion on a few blends that are very typical lakeland, both in their base tobacco's and their flavoring. I will also label each one on a scale from 1 to 5 on nicotine strength, amount of essence added, and fullness of smoke. In that order, along with some comments.
Condor. 5, 4, 5. Simply the best. If this was sold on the corner market, it is all I would smoke. But it isn't. You have to order from e-tobaccos, but and costs about $17 a package shipped. However you must buy 5 packs, or 250 grams.
Ennerdale. 4, 5, 3. This probably has the most of the floral essence added, and will give you the best idea of what that specific flavor is. The flavor is in your face, but like condor, you can still taste the underlying tobacco. Yummy. Almost aromatic. But strong. Can bite a little if smoked too fast, so don't!
Dark Birds Eye. 5, 1, 5 This is a shag cut. Unusual. Very little essence added. Extremely strong nicotine and smoke. Burns fast. Deliciuos and very manly. If you like cigars, you may like this because it is bold, though the flavor is pipe all the way. I have heard it compared to 5 brothers, but never tried the five, so no comment.
Dark flake scented. 5, 4, 5. As much essence as Condor and very similar. Just a bit different flavor profile. Not as much violet, almondy sweetness. Can't put my finger on it, something old manish about it. Very manly smoke. This is now my second favorite tobacco in the world, and I could enjoy it all day every day.
Kendal Flake. 3, 4, 4. Similar to ennerdale, but toned down a bit on the in your faceness aroma. I like it a lot. A favorite.
Bracken Flake. 5, 4, 5. Definitely lakeland, and definitely GOOD! Strong as hell. More nicotine than 1792 or Irish Flake. Love it. A little floral and sweet, but in the manliest possible way.
Kendal Cream Flake. 3, 3, 3. Smooooooooothest lakeland around. Creamy, and can taste the burley. Very nice when I don't want too much nicotine. Nice with coffee. Very nice mouth feel. Really like it, and crave it, but not every day, as the nicotine is lower.
I don't consider grousemoor or erinmore typical lakelands, as they are fruity, not flowery.
All burn perfectly, and are top quality tobaccos. All will ghost heavily, and you will not be able to remove the ghost.....not ever. Be warned! If you don't like them, you will destroy your pipe!
Actually, dark birds eye shouldn't ghost. I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.