PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Hello All,
This is my first post, and I want to start by thanking all of the senior members and regular contributors on this forum. I have been smoking a pipe for 4 years now and have followed this forum regularly since my first bowl (which was out of a brylon pipe and ended with two tobacco burn holes in my shirt from over packing). Research that led me to this forum and the tips and advice contained in it helped me discover the beauty of briar and the importance of proper packing in the smoking process. It wasn't long after when I realized what this "PAD" was all about! Thanks to this forum and its' members, I have discovered a wonderful hobby for life. Between work, school, and the recent addition of our first child, this forum and a late night bowl have become almost like a night out.
While I am fairly new to the pipe world, I have been a cigar smoker for many years, and still am (especially in the summer). Something I have noticed is that many new pipe smokers are cigar smokers attempting to convert to the pipe and are seeking a flavor similar to their favorite cigars, and I was guilty of this as well. The best advice I can give to anyone in this boat is to not give up on the pipe because you haven't found a blend that tastes like your favorite cigar. After much experimentation, I almost exclusively smoke aromatic pipe tobacco, namely 1Q and RLP...all while I enjoy very strong, full-bodied maduro wrapped cigars. While my taste in pipe tobacco is virtually the opposite from my taste in cigars, my life would feel a little less complete if I had to be without either.
Thanks again, and I look forward to contributing to this forum in any way my limited experience will allow :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dd50, welcome aboard. I think you will continue to find Forums useful and informative. I do. Nice

to have a diversion as you get your bambino into a gradually more forgiving sleep pattern in your own

busy life. I like 1Q and another Lane's aro, LL-7. I enjoy rotating milder blends with English blends,

Dunhill MM 965, Nat Sherman 536, and Altadis Fox and Hound, among others. Your taste will likely evolve,

but I wouldn't feel any compunction to take on stronger tobacco for the "glory." Try a little now and then,

and if it doesn't appeal, leave it be. Put it in a jar and let it age, and try gain in a year or two.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forums!
Whilst I'm primarily a pipe smoker, I've enjoyed many a good cigar over the years. Unfortunately my favorite cigars, Hoyo de Monterrey double coronas, Romeo y Julietta Churchills, and Flor de Cano Rothschilds, are not readily available in the US.
This is a very good place to share. Really knowledgeable group of folks.

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
Hi DD50--- Welcome to the forum. I'm a pipe smoker, but enjoy buying super Rare cigars. I don't smoke cigars. I wrap them up and send them to cigar smokers up in the U.S.of A. In the hopes that they send pipe tobacco back. Here there isn't any pipe tobacco sold anywhere. ZERO. I just bought 5 bundles of 25 of "Joya de Esteli" and one bundle of "Gran Colombia". You may not have heard of them because they are only sold here in Nicaragua. There is a wonderful bunch of folks here on the forum. You'll enjoy being here.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Welcome dd! Well written post amigo. Your grammar and spelling is noticed and appreciated. You also had something to say.
It took two years of smoking for me to get tired of the sweetness of most aros (I like RLP-6 though), and now like Englishes and VaPers. Blame Altadis Fox & Hound mso recommended for the Englishes and Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake for the VaPers.
Alright, for your second contribution - what the heck is brylon? I'm assuming some form of plastic, but I'm not going to Google it :)

Jul 15, 2011
what the heck is brylon? I'm assuming some form of plastic, but I'm not going to Google it
simnettpratt, brylon was invention that I think stemmed from the 60s or 70s that is a synthetic material, some sort of polymer that was supposed to simulate the smoking properties of briar, the only problem was that the imitation was pretty piss poor. Brylon smokes hot, very wet, and renders a lot of smokes flavorless and terrible. I had a brylon pipe when I first started that I gifted to a friend, he seems to like it pretty well but he smokes Bugler and Top out of it, so its all the same to him.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the welcome guys.

mso, I actually have some Stokkebye English Luxury that I did not like, and I have jarred it for what will be two years this Christmas when I will give it another try. I also have a jar of blackhouse that I have yet to try, and that is coming on a year, so I am looking forward to trying both of those over the holiday.
Yes, brylon smokes very wet, so you can imagine what it would do to an aromatic! I actually still have that pipe, can't bring myself to part with it....guess it has some sentimental value, even if the thought of having a bowl from it now makes me cringe.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
dd50 said:

"... many new pipe smokers are cigar smokers

attempting to convert to the pipe and are seeking

a flavor similar to their favorite cigars ... "
I'm an old pipe smoker who converted to cigars that then came back to pipes, not to replace cigars completely, but to supplement them ... speaking strictly for myself, I'm not looking for a flavor similar to my favorite cigars, but for a tobacco (or tobaccos) that will offer the same sort of smoking satisfaction that I derive from cigars ... and while I, like yourself, enjoy full-bodied maduro wrapped cigars, I've found many pipe tobaccos have an 'edge' to them that isn't present in the cigars of my choice ... it's an interesting quest on which I've made several favorable discoveries, but there remains a certain "holy grail" aspect to my search for the pipe tobacco(s) that I will most enjoy ...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dd50, welcome to the forum. I used to be a big cigar smoker and in the beginning searched for similar flavors to my favorite cigars with of course no luck. The blend that did open my eyes to how great a pipe could be was Escudo. It is a spicy sweet blend that is full of flavor and it is still a favorite of mine 13 years later. If you have not tried it I highly recommend it. It is a flake tobacco so it requires a different type of prep than what you are used to. I cube cut my flakes most of the time but also use the fold and stuff method on occasion. I find that flakes burn cooler and have more flavor than the other cuts of tobacco and smoke them exclusively. You should give a flake a try, it can open up a whole new world of flavors for you.
Saddlebrush, your favorite Cuban cigars are just a click away and can be delivered to your doorstep any time you choose. Check your pm.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the recommendation cigrmaster, will definitely add a tin of Escudo to my Christmas order.

Status
Not open for further replies.