PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badlandsjay

Lurker
May 9, 2019
First of all, I'd like to say thanks to all of you that helped me on this pipe hobby of mine. You don't know you helped, but you did. Whenever I had questions or issues I always resorted to these forums for answers. I wanted to join for awhile, but you know, Internet, sign ups, email checks, passwords, ugh. I'm over it. But I'm here. Anyway. Here's my story, bear with me. It's never easy with me and everything's always a project.

My pipe introduction started years ago. 2001ish. I had quit drinking at the time, and decided as a cigarette smoker that maybe cigars would be fun. And they were, got a box, and dove in to the world. After awhile I thought, hey, what about a pipe. The guy at A.R.M Cigar sold me a Savinelli for like 30 bucks. He had a great blend called Blue Diamond. That was that. Over the next few years it all fell apart. She left, took the kid, had to fight, etc etc, you know the story. I burned my humidor, and smoked cigarette tobacco out of my pipe, got addicted, the pipe was left outside and trashed. Didn't care, couldn't indulge in any hobbies but sex and pills. Look it all worked out, kids back, two years sober. New kid,etc Whatever.Late last year, a friend gave me a nice humidor and I thought "Hey I can't afford cigars, what about another pipe, I'll use the box to hold that and the tobacco" So. Mind you, I have a lot of hobbies, music, pop culture, models, diecast, records, Star Wars, comics. I'm a punk. Always have been. I have the cover of a Bad Religion record tattooed on my arm. I cried when I saw Springsteen.The patches on my coat are the Clash, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Gaslight Anthem, GG Allin.....You get it. Posters, WW2, Youngstown history, Comics. Too many hobbies. So. I thought as soon as I get the money I'll get a good pipe and off I go. I bought a Molina, and that was that. But started looking into other ones because the comfort on that one wasn't great. Through my reading I realized corn cobs weren't a joke and a lot of guys love em. So I bought what the local shops had, the Legend series, and found a couple hardwoods as well. So I still keep looking and dreaming of a new Peterson or Savinelli or Chacum...whatever. I got a really nice Bringham, and another Molina. Love em. Still, not satisfied. THEN I found the estate pipes. Oh boy. "Wow, it'd be cool to refurbish these things" Forty pipes later, sea salt, alcohol, buffer wheel for the drill, sandpaper, stem polish. Yep. It's all there. Again, my questions always brought me here. I appreciate that.

Recently we took a trip to North and South Carolina, and I stopped at a cigar shop in Myrtle Beach, and the dudes like "Low Country is 6 miles up the road" Hell yeah. Very helpful. But the discussion I had was like..I dunno dude, somethin about pipes, it's just cool, I love records and books, and I HATE cell phones, and I think it relates to my love of history...a lost art...I guess. And he said it's the industry's best kept secret. BINGO! THATS IT! That's what I love about it. And restoring them just gives me something to do. Sand here, alcohol there. It's fun. Shiny.yay.

So there ya go. Thanks from Youngstown Ohio, the heart of the rust belt.

Two questions.

Why, when I wet my finger, does the leather dye come off the bowl?

And is there an actual magazine, like one that comes in the mail for this stuff?

You guys rock.

Jan 8, 2013
And is there an actual magazine, like one that comes in the mail for this stuff?
An actual magazine for Pipesmagazine.com? No, unfortunately. Though that would be cool. There was a Pipes and Tobacco magazine, but I believe they recently discontinued that.
Welcome!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Good to have ya aboard. Glad to hear your life is on a new course & you’re happy in that direction. Pipers are really good people. I went through a tough time about 12 yrs ago, job loss, worked three to keep the lights on. Started refurbishing a couple old ebay estate pipes, found it fulfilling & a good stress reliever. Tim West, Premal, the pipe forums, were/are a great help. Tim West would sell me a stem & machine the tennon, then I would finish shaping the stem (filing, sanding, then finish polish) to the pipe.
If you’re reading this Tim & Premal, Thank You. Premal (Smokers Haven) did the same for me a couple times, and showed my how to match existing stain, and some fine points to refurbishing. If I had stayed in Columbus, I would have pursued it further. Premal also introduced me to Rad Davis pipes & GBD estates. He was kind enough to sell me an estate #31 shape Castillo for a really cheap price. I made a replacement stem & fitted it to the shank.
If you get a chance, try attending a pipe show or a pipe club.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from one who loves both history and his iPhone. Reads books on iPad and listens to them on cell phone. To each his own.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome, Jay. This is a great community for all your likes, especially pipe and tobacco help, books, music (old and new, vinyl and other platforms) and a wide assortment of BS.

As for a magazine, the only one left is an absolute treasure of info and entertainment: The Pipe Collector, the official magazine of the North American Society Of Pipe Collectors. This magazine needs our support, so join the Society (it's relatively inexpensive at $21.00 @year) at naspc.org.

You can also buy back issues of the now discontinued Pipes and Tobaccos at the SmokingPipes.com store https://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/back-issues/

Again, Welcome!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am glad you got through all of that. Definitely join the NASPC and get their publication. It is worth a lot more than the price of membership. I recently went through the job loss and launched into my own company selling Kaywoodie pipes. I figured anything that keeps me more involved in this community, the happier I am. Chicago pipe show was a blast. I hope things keep going up for you.

badlandsjay

Lurker
May 9, 2019
"This is a great community for all your likes, especially pipe and tobacco help, books, music (old and new, vinyl and other platforms) and a wide assortment of BS."
Yeah man, I'm finding that out as I scroll and read. That's why I finally signed up. I've noticed or haven't seen yet someone go "Youre an idiot for wasting your money on that crap, smoke a real man's pipe" It's more like "My experience with those wasn't that great but whatever works for you"

There isn't a lot of places out there for guys like me. I'm out there a little. Tattoos on my temples, wearin a Snoop Dogg shirt... My hero's are junkies, William S Burroughs, Johnny Thunders, Billie Holiday, Dee Dee Ramone...but also Springsteen and Bill Watterson...

You scroll through YouTube comments and the crap you read, ugh. Want no part of it. I want discussion. The only thing I was ever good at was radio. I hosted a radio show for a few years at my second tenure in college. The feedback was unbelievable. My interview style was applauded by local disc jockeys and professors. It just sucks that every guy that ever did something in some band or movie has a podcast.Id love to do it, but Id get lost in the shuffle. Im not Rogan or Corolla, who are great, but I missed it. So it's nice to find a place of DISCUSSION. In today's political climate, that's not easy to find. Unfortunately people just don't get the fact that it's.Just.Politics. It's a science, and it's a business. You still got bills to pay. We expect our leaders to get along and work it out when we can't even be civil to someone's Twitter. I digress.

I'll look up the link there and see whats up. My palette is still being refined as far as a smoke goes. At first there was no difference between my Missouri Meerschaum General, and a Whitehall. But I can feel and taste it a little now. The whole to filter and not to filter boggled me at first, I get it now. I'm a aromatic guy through and through. It was GREAT walking into Old Country and seeing 100 blends. That Vanilla Custard is the shizzle. But I got a lot to work out, I still can't figure out if the red or the white wax goes first or last when I buff the bowl.Buff the bowl Buff the bowl..BBBBUFFF the bowl. (Its from a movie) So to all my freaks, geeks, punks, and skunks, Jay just might have found a home.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Happy you are here. Greatest place on Earth.

If you can't find pipes and tobacco knowledge here, it doesn't exist.

This forum has been a life saver for me, and not just for pipes and tobacco. It has helped me through dark times and good times.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit! That's a great intro! I tried reading it on my phone earlier in the week and just couldn't get through it on that little screen! :)
Anyway, Enjoy! This forum is a great escape and resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.