PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perjensen

Lurker
Jul 24, 2012
First of all, thank you for the very nice reception of the HH Old Dark Fired. I have been reading all the post with the greatest interest and I must say that fill me with the greatest thrill. Working together with the top 2 guys in developing new (old style) tobaccos and being able to create a tobacco like the HH Old Dark fired was a test for us, however we has been convinced that this is a path to investigate further.
Reading all the posts I feel eager to come with a small statement. An English style tobacco is not necessary a tobacco with Latakia, it just means that it is produced in the English style. In the case with the HH Old Dark Fired the meaning were that we abducted the ways of producing tobacco, meaning low on casing and no top flavor = tobacco being hot pressed. The hot press itself change the tobacco into something else than just the single elements of the raw tobaccos, it marries the tobacco together in a completely new taste.
Starting working with the hot press were an eye opener for us. That is the reason why we introduced the HH series in 2006, tobaccos with very little (and different) casing and no top flavor (except for the HH Mature Virginia were we used red wine balsamic as flavor and HH Highland Blend where we used the Glen Farclas whisky as flavor).
This is a path that we will continue to explore, and we are at the moment working with a new blend (perhaps for Chicago 2013). A few key works is English style, Latakia and hot pressed. At the moment we are testing and in my opinion we are doing just great. Each week has it´s surprises both negative and positive but I know we will come through with a new blend that will surprise our smokers.
When March is approaching I might need some test smokers just to tell us if we are on the right path. If yes I will be looking forward to see you Chicago next year.
Per Georg Jensen

“With pipe in hand”

Mac Baren Tobacco Company A/S
P.S. The pipe in hand is a quote from my very good friend and mentor Frank Blews, and Frank … I don’t hope you disagree that I borrow you quote.
P.SS. Sorry for my English but I am Danish and if I wrote in Danish the most of you would not have a chance to understand.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have been experimenting with whole leaf tobacco and a press. I have the utmost respect for what you do. Coming up with a formula for a good blend, from scratch, Has been one heck of a adventure. Heck, just coming up with good raw materials has been tough for me. Trying to research what goes into making a good blend is also an uphill battle. I see why the formulas for the big blenders are such guarded secrets. I have had to go on next to nothing. I hope someday to be half the blender that you and your associates are. Keep doing what you do. HH Old Dark Fired is one of my favorites!!!!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Per - it's wonderful to hear that you are trying out new approaches to creating blends. I, along with many others, look forward to your new creations. Your ODF was a hit several months ago at my Christopher Morley's Pipe Club. Some of our members are well versed in blending (Wm Serad, Irv Stone and the late Bob Runowski). A couple of them have built a press and are experimenting with it. I know they would welcome participating in your new candidates and could offer comparisons and evaluations. I have almost a thousand blends on hand and the more experienced members have a number of blends I don't have. So we have plenty of controls to compare your new work to. We'd certainly have fun trying out your ideas and you may find our opinions interesting and maybe even useful.
hp

les

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for the post per. Mac Baren is quickly becoming my favorite blend of tobaccos with Old Dark Fired and Vanilla Cream Flake at the top of the list. I have a bunch of tins in the cellar to give a try but I know ODF to be a huge hit with everybody I've given a sample too. The only downside is that it sometimes can be tough to find. Not a slam against Mac Baren, but its obvious that its well received. There are many on here that love it and many that would love to be testers (myself included, although i am new to the pip smoking world). We look forward to your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.