PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
My wife was involved in a motor vehicle accident yesterday. A driver in an SUV stopped in the middle of a 50 mph road to turn into a driveway without signaling. My wife hit them from behind driving at speed of 40-50mph. She was taken to the hospital where she underwent several tests before being discharged with minor injuries. She is pretty bruised up and sore, but doing well, all things considered. The driver of the other vehicle was uninjured. This is what is left of my car.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Wow. So glad to hear that both parties involved were not severely injured. Too bad for your car, but the good thing about material things is that they can always be replaced. Cheers.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah, bogglesworth, not worried about the car really. It was a lease and was up in a year anyways. I work in insurance and I'm fairly certain that the vehicle will be a total loss. Just means I get a new car early. When I saw the car, I was a amazed that my wife didn't have any more serious injuries. She got very lucky.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Neither party injured and you and the mrs. will be shopping for a new car soon - things are looking up :D Cheers.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Sable,
That would be the Town of Wheatfield in Western New York. Actually, one of the security guys at my work was one of the firefighters who responded to the call. I was talking to him, and he was saying how this road is notorious for these really bad accidents.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Buff so glad your wife is ok. Been thinking of buying my wife one of those cars with collision avoidance. She loves her Prius , needs a new one but I don't believe they have that.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
What manner of moron zones a road at 50MPH that opens onto driveways in a residential area?
The car was designed by a mechanical engineer and the road was designed by a civil engineer. The mech engineer is either designing around a civil engineers project or designing something to blow up a civil engineers project. :) a little jab at any civil engineers out there.
I am glad to here your wife is ok

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I am glad there were no serious injuries to anyone. Really, cars these days are ridiculous in the abuse that they can take. Now you get to deal with the fun process of working with insurance companies. My sympathies sir.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Glad to hear there were no injuries...
Though I did wonder about crumple zones being "American Engineering" - turns out they were invented by a Hungarian engineer and patented by Mercedes-Benz in 1952. :D

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Macabra11,
I work for the insurance company I am covered by. In less than 24 hours, adjuster deemed car totaled, I have all my belongings from the car, my license plates have been surrendered to the motor vehicle dept, and I have to pay $0 out of pocket because my deductible is covered by the gap insurance on my lease. All said, the accident was bad, but the experience with the insurance company has been smooth and easy. Going to relax today and enjoy a bowl or two.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd give those injuries a few days to surface. I've had that happen to me on a wet road. Some guy passed me on a two lane, closing the gap I had between myself and the cars ahead... I looked down to adjust my radio for a second, and looked up to see brake lights,and three cars ahead an FHP (!) stopped to turn into the oncoming traffic to exit on a road to the left....I hit the brakes and slid for about 150' right into the back of that damned car that passed me. No injuries except pride and pocketbook. I was driving a Mazda 2000 longbed with a glass rack on it. no air bags. I may have had my seatbbelt on. It was almost a slow motion crunch that took out my front fenders, hood, bumper and radiator. I've been driving since 1964. I think really, my lesson is that it takes a moments' lack of focus to end in disaster. It happens when you are less than diligent.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
If this Buick was made 30 years ago, all you had to do is hammer out the front bumper and you'd be good to go :)
Glad no injuries all around. Your wife should pay more attention, she could've killed someone...

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Wheatfield...I thought those looked like Ryan homes in the picture. I grew up in Lockport. I have migrated south to Clarence.
Glad nobody got hurt.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I'm glad to hear that everyone avoided major injuries!
I grew up in a Ryan home in Hamlin, NY. Just about all western NY back roads are 45 and 55 mph until right before you reach a town where it'll drop down to 25 or 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.