PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's happening way over in Thailand, but it is a spectacular rescue of twelve young soccer players and their coach where they were -- some of them still are as of July 9 -- trapped by sudden flooding in a cave they were exploring after a practice. Thai Navy Seals and other advanced professional divers did incredible work to locate them hunkered on a ledge. The boys had to be taught to swim, then to scuba, in order to get them out. Each trip takes about five hours one way. An experienced diver was lost when he ran out of air while placing re-supply tanks along the route. The rescue effort had to hurry up when further rain was predicted, threatening further flooding. This is probably one of the most difficult rescues ever accomplished and will likely serve as a model for future rescues. Hopefully, it will discourage caving by untrained groups. Here's hoping everyone -- the boys, the coach, and every diver other than the one lost -- make it out in healthy shape. Truly a harrowing incident.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While I've kept up with it. I cannot hear the details as I'm claustrophobic and the recent loss of my wife puts me on edge of anxiety. I do hope they all make it out ok. Bless that diver that died.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hang in there, voorhees. Be sparing with the news as necessary. When I lost my late wife (I'm remarried after ten years) I eventually attended a hospice grief group expecting to sample one session. It turned out it helped, especially when I gradually discovered I could help others. It helps to understand this is a general life experience, not just ours. And it helped visualize the differences ... one woman had had a very hard life with her husband and felt none of us could understand. I tried to, but she left the group anyway. In any case, take it slow and do it your way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On degree of difficulty as a diving challenge, this one must be right up there with submarine rescues. Maybe at least the equipment is more standard scuba gear, but after that it is obstacle after obstacle, with teaching young kids to swim, then to scuba, a whole different psychological challenge. Likely there are some dads among the Seals who know some child psychology.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The only thing I see is the child getting scared and not adhering to what the diver is telling him, but then a child is more readily bendable to teachings, I remember going out the sub hatch my heart would have made a rock drummer jealous. I have been watching everything I could get on this, my heart was heavy for the Mom and Dads, Told the wife if they get out, and the Coach is ok, I would kick his ass. That's just my take on it.

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
Saying a prayer for those boys, thats incredible. I hope each and every one gets out safely. Voorhees im sorry for your loss hun. xo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad, you were a diver so some of these problems are ones you have thought through. Even though the rescuers are Thai Seals, probably not all of them are long-experienced. Yes, the coach is culpable. I don't know how they get teachers to take kids on field trips, the responsibility is huge, and kids are so unpredictable, but taking kids caving without training and a team of adults, just plumb crazy. The coach was probably "team building" in his mind, and raising his esteem in their eyes. I hope others who mentor kids will take the lesson. What a price.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The caves are in the vicinity of where they play games and practice. They've been in them many times as, have many folks, playing, exploring, etc. Simply a matter of ill timing, in the cave and water arrives from heavy, unknown rains in the mountains. Sometimes bad luck is simply that, bad luck. Can happen in an arroyo in Arizona. You're camping in the wrong place and rain from the mountains, miles away, arrives and you, in the middle of the night float, no so gently, through the cactus and rocks. Hence the rule I learned years ago, "camp on the high ground and never in a dry creek bed."
I've seen stories where the uninformed reporters have called the Thai situation an initiation or team building. All sorts of speculation was required in order to fill columns and meet deadlines. Much like 9/11 here. The peanut gallery want stories, facts are unavailable so, just fill the air and the pages whatever comes to mind and send it to the editor/publisher. We spectators are insatiable and will buy into most anything printed or aired by "respectable" news sources. It'll be days, as interest wanes on the part of the public and the reporters/newsies, before a concise, factual story is published, if ever.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Loss is never easy, & even though these are far away & no one we know, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Hang in, much as you can. We're thinking about you too.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
The boys and coach are out; just got the news flash. Lets hope the rescuers safely get out as well that they’re at the finish line and wrap up their operation

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yup, they are all out.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44782132
And, Warren, you were right:
As if it wasn’t a circus already, Hollywood producers are reportedly in Thailand hoping to secure rights for the story. According to the BBC, a US company called Pure Flix has sent producers Michael Scott and Adam Smith to the area.
“There’s going to be other production companies coming in so we have to act pretty quickly,” Smith reportedly said.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The plan I had in mind was to put each lightly sedated boy into a hermetically sealed rugged capsule with sufficient air supply, light and soothing sounds and get them out that way one at a time by the pro divers manoeuvring said capsules back to the cave entrance.
Anyway, they're all out now so wonderful news and all credit to the international experts who made it happen.
Regards,
Jay.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Congratulations to the Thais and those who assisted them in this impressive rescue operation.

Jun 27, 2016
I can't believe that they found those guys alive to begin with. Something like that & you have to go with what you know. I'm sure everyone appreciated do-gooder Elon, but I have a feeling that his team probably got in the way of the people who actually knew what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.