PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Most of the work that I do with pipes requires me to play by the rules and color within the lines. I very much enjoy the challenge of that, but it’s nice to throw caution to the wind every now and then and hack at an innocent pipe like Jason Voorhees with a promiscuous college freshman. So, I thought I’d show off some of my more or less recent texture work for some input.
This first one I just finished. It was a no-name Italian-made pipe with a nice shape, but a few large fills and a sloppy finish.
OkivWVU.jpg

MVYnwHa.jpg

I rusticated over the largest fills at the sides of the bowl and finished the smooth areas to accent the wonderful bird’s eye grain that was hiding in there.
ps9OmWZ.jpg

qL0KCj7.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The next pipe is a Gauntleys London Briar 580 that I did a short while back. The stummel was severely misshapen (I assume from buffer abuse) and had the “wobbly” look like a reflection in a funhouse mirror.
jLCyH4q.jpg

HDwofAV.jpg

Reshaping the entire stummel back into symmetry would be way too intensive a job for what is essentially a budget pipe. Luckily, there was plenty of meat on the bowl to work with. So, I shaped the shank back into line and gave the bowl a deep, craggy texture to give the dips and waves some purpose.
90nL8PZ.jpg

v6B5QOz.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
The last pipe is another Italian no-name. The difference with this one was that it was sandblasted with a texture so light that it appeared almost pointless.
2wG5T2M.jpg

smj71h1.jpg

I’m not set up for blasting. So, instead, I came up with the idea of “blastication”. That is hand-rusticating a pipe with a poor blast by following along the lines to accent and augment the texture that’s already there, deepening crevices and adding texture to “dead” areas.
2sYksY6.jpg

UUMUVw1.jpg

Thanks for looking guys! I’m going back to coloring within the lines until the next hapless victim shows up.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice. Is it an optical illusion, or did you smooth out the shank/stem junction? (On the first one.)

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@aldecaker: It's not an optical illusion, but it didn't need any smoothing either. The tenon was a touch too long and it prevented the stem from sitting flush. So, I just shaved a bit off.

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
That's very fine craftsmanship. Any man would be proud to own those.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Well done!

It is surely a nice work, showing craftmanship and style.

These pipes improved so much that you didn't need to mortify the originals photographing them with different background and lights!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
These pipes improved so much that you didn't need to mortify the originals photographing them with different background and lights!

Ha! Yeah, I've thought about that before. The purpose really isn't to mortify the pipes though. The first thing to happen to a pipe on arrival is that it goes up on the bench for photos. Otherwise, I'm likely to forget and start working (done it many times -- but getting better). I suppose I could shoot the "after" photos on the bench as well, but I must beg forgiveness for a little vanity about my work. Besides, with better light, you can better see the things that I got wrong. :wink:
Can I ask what the process is to get that deep craggy texture? I'm nuts about that look!

I'd tell you if I could, but it's a very freeform process and most of the tools that I use are handmade. Not to get too "Bob Ross" about it, but I just go with what feels right and what the wood and the shape tell me. If you want deep and craggy, just make sure you have enough wood to work with, and then dig in there and start making some chips fly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like semi-rustication and don't see it as just a cover for fills. If it covers fills, good, but that can be done with artistry, or not. Another craftsman who does creative and thoughtful work with that is Mogen Johansen (Johs pipes).

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I think you did an excellent job on all of them. Super impressed with how you refinished the smooth areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.