Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Texas

(20 posts)
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok. So why did I end up in dallas? Because my father works for AT&T which recently moved their headquarters to dallas. A few friends of ours moved so we came to visit. Dave, new texas and post chicago resident, told us that texans are truely very nice people. And he was f......in right. So here I am, smoking one bowl more than planned because the texans have been kind and offering me free beer, even tho i need to pack. So texans...I hate your accent, but you are a bunch of nice people.

Sorry for typos, on my phone, relatively drunk and full of vitamin N.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're welcome

Even though I'm an import since 1997, I agree with the friendliness statement. Not so much the accent comment. I've heard worse

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

Texans are indeed very hospitable folks for the vast majority. It sure makes it nice to live here.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What accent ???

Glad you enjoyed your visit !

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. bigmike

bigmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About 10 years ago, I drove out to neighboring Bedford and bought a 1971 Chevelle SS from the Police Chief there. However, I stayed in Dallas and took in some of the sights before I left.

I wanted to say I never meet a nicer bunch of people than persons I came into contact with while on this excursion.

While the saying "Everything is bigger in Texas" is alive and well, I can attest the hospitality certainly was while I was there.......

"If you're going to be dumb, you had better be tough"
    "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Texans don't have accents, everyone else does.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I lived in West Texas, El Paso to be exact in 1984-86. I loved it there and it was a great time in my life! Heck I still have 2 pair of boots from back then, a pair each of Tony Lama and Luchesse!

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My son just married a Texas Gal..She's a great lady.I really like her.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5YUKIM1Kc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    here's ya a Tony lama song to go with them boots Dave. Recorded at Billy bobs too...

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

It's Hell to drive across.......15 hours or so when I did it several years ago.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo back in 1989. Great people, great steaks, pretty girls. Everything a young military man could ask for.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

I got to Dallas in '95 from Tucson, AZ at 18 yrs old. The saying goes, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could." I miss Tucson (especially Eegee's), but it's worked out pretty well. I don't notice the accent anymore, but when I get pissed off my wife says I get it some. My daughter is a little country girl and it is amazingly cute when she says things and it comes out.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

In August of 2010 myself and a great friend drove east on I-10. I thought we would never get from El Paso to the Woodlands north of Houston. We saw a lot of nothingness and had to listen to CDs. All we could get was Mexican Radio. It was quite the Experience driving from PA to St. Louis and then to Ca. and back. If you ever have the chance it is a great thing to do. We where gone a month and saw many old friends and had a great time. Here is a pic of when we visited an old friend in Gunterville Al., Me, Marco and fuzzy who I traveled with.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. lankfordjl

lankfordjl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Texas has a welcoming culture. "If a Texan doesn't agree with your ideas, he'll openly and happily tell you why you're wrong and a fool...and then be your best-friend." But really Texas has about 6 different regions, each with its own personality - Panhandle, North, West, Central, East, and South. There are differences in ethnic make-up, environment, weather patterns, food, religion, traditions and festivals, etc. It's truly like a country in itself. And it's big alright, a lot of people in East Texas have never been to the other side of state!

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -Mark Twain-
    "A pipe helps a wise man to think and gives a fool something to put in his mouth" -Trischman's Paradox-
    "Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim;...but I discipline my body and make it my slave." -1Cor 9-
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I visited Texas once when I was under 25 which meant I couldn't rent a car there, had to take public transportation in Dallas, I feel that may have been what soured my experience a bit, next time I go I'm driving instead of taking the train lol

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

I was born in Galveston Texas

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm now that you mentioned it lankfordjl, I was born in a suburb of Houston (Pasadena), grew up in Dallas, for the last 18 yrs have lived about an HR east of Dallas, I can't say if I've ever been west of Fort Worth.

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spent some time at Lackland AFB in San Antonio for basic training. It was August and pretty enjoyable outside... at 5am. I've got a sister in law in Corpus Cristi but not been down that way yet. Maybe someday.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

My family's been in Texas since it was Mexico. People who are from Texas are friendly and hospitable by tradition. The word Texas even comes from the word Tejas, which means friends. Although, if things get unfriendly, a Texan is who you want on your team. We're a little bit outlaw, too.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 baron

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank