PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
A question for the blenders: When watching/reading/listening to interviews with pipe tobacco blenders, they pretty much universally cite sugar and nicotine content of any tobacco as the decisive factor in deciding how to nudge a blend in a certain flavor direction.
How is that tested? Do you just smoke raw leaf and have an excellent flavor memory? Is there a litmus test? A meter? Do you do some sort of roadside drunk test to check nicotine?

In trying to absorb as much as I can from the PM radio show and what blenders have said on here... I think that the test I hear most, is that blenders will roll a cigarette from raw leaf and taste it. I don't think anyone is using big fancy equipment. Keep in mind that the whole pipesmoking community is minuscule in size. You would probably reach a larger audience if you marketed to men who wear diapers while riding bicycles. Seriously. So, it isn't very high tech. In fact most companies report that the newest equipment they have was made in the 1950's.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I've been going thru the radio show archive pretty steadily at work the last month or so, paying special attention to the interviews with tobacco industry folks and blenders. I can't remember who it was, but when someone said buying tobacco from the leavings of major and minor brand cigarette and cigar manufacturers for pipe blends it's like, a tenth of a percent of the entire global tobacco market.
Which makes it extra amazing to me that we're all as spoiled for choice as we are and that there can be hundreds of blends that I haven't tried yet. Which is both something to look forward to _and_ kind of intimidating at the first steps of trying to decide what to plant, grow, cure, and blend on my own.

My first couple of years, I planted about five plants of a half dozen varieties, trying to decide what I wanted. Then, waiting for the cure and sweats had me anxious, because you can’t just try your first years crop that Fall and get any kind of real idea of what you have. It’s slow, and I am just now starting to realize what I want. Blending is merely something that happens. I suggest not going into this with preconceived notions of what you want. Let it surprise you. I have pounds of lemony Virginias, deep reds with a fruity aroma, and some gut kicking burleys. Only now after years of them laying about in my barn, do I have some idea of what the leaf tastes like, enough to start blending. But, even then, once I mix them, I am not 100% sure how they will taste after the meld with time.

I have found that I like cooking the leaf in flue curing. That’s what keeps me interested. So, I focus on the cures, and socialization of the straight leaf.
Experiment, keep an open mind, and find what part interests you most. I think you will find what makes you happy within the process. When it is a labor of love, you’ll get a much better product for you to enjoy, because this is all just for your own enjoyment, right?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I fully intend to keep an open mind and consider this a long term and very fun (i.e. without expectations) experiment. In all likelihood, I will start out much as you did, planting multiples of basic types and seeing what catches.
In the meantime, I am just trying to set myself up for success by figuring out what the controls are on this experiment. It looks like I'll be smoking raw leaf cigarettes and taking detailed notes on sweetness and woozieness.

I have a small meerschaum pipe that I use to taste test raw leaf. I also have a Becker made Danish scoop shaped pipe made of strawberrywood briar that gives me a good idea of flavors. I sometimes roll a cigarette to taste test, but my wife always starts complaining to me if she sees me roll a cigarette. She accepts my pipes, but seeing a cigarette triggers her original tobacco nazi fanaticisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.