Terrible Monday

(36 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by batdemon
  • Latest reply from batdemon
  1. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As if Monday's aren't bad enough, I received terrible news today.
    Last Wednesday, when we got home from work, my wife and I noticed that one of our dogs muzzle looked swollen.
    Upon examining her mouth, we found her front gums very swollen. Took her to vet Thursday morning and was told
    they were tumors. Got the lab results today that they are cancerous. Radiation treatments are not possible because
    they would be $3,500.00 each and she would need several. We simply can't afford that. Our only option is to give her meds to make her as comfortable as possible. It is a pretty aggresive cancer and the vet gives her 4 to 8 weeks. Needless to say, we are devstated. She is 5 years old, a bloodhound, great Dane mix. She has the look of a bloodhound but the size of a great Dane. 140 lbs. Her name is Duchess and she is the best dog we have ever had. I would really appreciate it if any of the dog lovers here would give your dog an extra hug for me.
    Thanks folks.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bat I lost my Ki to that, I made him comfortable in his last days, it's hard and your friend will stay with you forever.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear that, batdemon. My dog, a Shar-Pei named Genghis, had the same cancer. He had an operation to remove the tumors and less than six months and 1,000 later the tumors were back. The vet came over to the house to give him a shot as he sat on his favorite rug in the sunshine by the window. He passed quietly, almost like he fell asleep, with two grand children by his side.

We still talk about Genghis often and, whenever we do, the Redhead gets misty on me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lost this one to cancer 8 months ago.Wolfie,believe me my friend,I feel your pain...GOD BLESS,Dave...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prayers for you and your loved one... So sorry, man. I lost my favorite dog to cancer too. Broke my heart...

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost my dog 3 years ago.She was in a lot of pain,and they couldn't do anything to help her.I had her put to sleep.I know it's really hard,but it's best not to let her suffer.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never an easy thing... dogs love unconditionally. Sorry to hear about Dutchess.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear this batdemon. Just gave my Papillon an extra hug. You will all be in my prayers tonight.

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man, it is an amazing thing how animals can become just like family. I will pray for peace in your family and that your friend can be as comfortable as possible

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.

Bloodhounds are a great dog. Our BoJo was with us a long time - our daughter thought he was her brother. Family is family.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, losing a dog is like losing a member of the family.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poor doggie. Glad you guy are trying to minimizing the pain and discomfort. Thoughts with you all.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear bat - we lost 3 of our dogs in the past 3 years. Always very hard. Best of luck during this difficult time.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. roadqueen

roadqueen

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear of that terrible news. My old Mini Schnauzer is going to be 13 this fall, and I've noticed the gradual decline for the past couple of years. I will be an absolute mess when that little dog finally gets ushered through the Pearly Gates, as I've had him longer than I've had my human son. They're not just dogs...they're family.

My condolences, I pray that she has a painless passing, and that you and your family are able to find comfort in fond memories.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your dog. Sometimes I feel like I'm lucky because the only other dog I've had in my life lived to be 18 before I had to have him put down. I was just glad for all the time I had with him and seeing him every time I came home from the service and he never forgot me. I don't believe that it makes it any easier no matter when you lose a dog. If at any point you were able to say, this is my dog it sucks whether they were with you 3 months or 18 years. I'm sure you were a great owner and will cherish your memories of Duchess. God bless.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

That sucks! I'm so sorry!

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently lost my best friend and I know the agony you are in. I gave my new friend an extra hug, thinking of Dutchess. Good Luck.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It will be difficult, but you and your family might want to discuss having your dog put to sleep rather than watch your pet get worse over the 1 to 2 months timeframe according to your vet.

I would never want a pet to suffer.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

@Batdemon:

So sorry to hear the devastating news about Duchess. Dogs are such endearing members of the family. I lost my Dog Ritchie about a year ago, but he lived a long life. I could not even imagine losing my other two dogs Calvin or Macie. I will definitely give them extra hugs. I will pray for you in this time of great sorrow.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish you peace

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear this - losing a pet is tough, no matter what the circumstances are.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and I hope you can find peace in the great memories you've made. Dogs have the best souls of man or beast. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We put Duchess to rest this past Saturday. Her tumor had begun growing rapidly and she was starting to be in pain. We felt she had been through enough. We are all heartbroken but we are happy she is no longer in pain. Thank you all for the kind words of support.

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for your loss. I wish you all best wishes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. ciderguy

ciderguy

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry to hear :-(. I hope the meds are able to do their job well and make her comfortable. Cancer is a difficult thing, and it can be difficult to figure out when to make the decision for a canine companion. What I've learned is that they tend to tell you in the end when they are ready to stop fighting and desire a release. Until then I hope you are able to spend time with your beloved Duchess and go on walks, play with toys, and have fun as her health allows.

Also, I've also learned that opening one's home to another dog as soon as possible helps to ease the pain. If you feel its too soon to make a life long commitment, then I'm sure a rescue in your area would be happy to have you foster a dog.

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry for your loss, one of the hardest things to do.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 6 years ago #
  27. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very sorry for your loss. 5 years old is way too young for that to happen...but unfortunately it’s become more and more common in pets. Just as with people there is not enough serious inquiry going on into what the real causes are for so much cancer. The focus is all on treatment and supposedly researching cures. But not much talk about what is actually causing it. IMO, contaminants in vaccines are a major culprit. There is also data showing that chip implants in pets is causing it in some cases.

My dog is 13 now...rescued her from the shelter when she was just 6 mos. old. Hate to think of dealing with her passing.

My sincere condolences.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very sorry for your loss. Dogs are a part of the family and it is always a very sad day when they have to be put down.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  29. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for your loss brother, smoke'in bowls today in honor of Duchess

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just saw this, batdemon, and I am at a loss for words. I always empathize with anyone who's lost a "buddy" like this. Causes me to think a lot about whether there really is an afterlife.

I hope so, and I hope that we'll all see our little buddies who've been taken from us far too soon.

--boudreaux
    Posted 6 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry for your loss, batdemon. Do dogs go to heaven? I believe they do and they'll be waiting for us when our time comes.

Posted 6 years ago #
  32. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very sorry to hear of your loss, and the thought of this and my two dogs brought a tear to my eye. My two sister dogs are as much part of the family as our children are. Only these two are forever stuck in the "terrible two's".

Again God bless you and your family. When the right time comes I'm sure Dutchess would hope for you to rescue one of the many dogs in need of a loving family like yours could provide.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  33. werdna

werdna

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. My Labrador is 14 now and I dread the day I have to put her down. She's a good friend and family member.

And to all a good night.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  34. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Batdemon.

Posted 6 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrpaul

Login to Send PM

Im so sorry for your loss. I love my dogs too. may God be with you and your family
    stay strong
    paul

Posted 6 years ago #
  36. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do dogs go to heaven? I believe they do and they'll be waiting for us when our time comes.

I agree rothnh. I would not want to go to a heaven that didn't have our animal friends waiting to greet us.

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes. It means a lot and truly does help.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, cdmjr, jiminks, danimalia