PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
Any advice on how to safely remove a Tenon stuck tightly inside a pipe shank.
I bought the pipe in this condition, and it appears that the sleeve of the tenon simply stayed in the pipe when the stem was removed.

The pipe is a nice Savinelli and I'm afraid that in my ignorance I'll make matters worse.
Thankyou

old soldier

Jul 15, 2011
So did the tenon get removed from the rest of the stem? Or is it just such a tight fit that none of the stem will come out and you're afraid to damage it? I had a problem with a tight stem I bought on an estate pipe once, and what I did was turned the air conditioning on and set the pipe on the AC vent. The dry airflow and the coolness will help alleviate swelling in the wood of the shank, if that is indeed your problem, and could help get the stem out. You could also pop it in the freezer for a bit to loosen it up but leaving the whole pipe in there for too long could compromise the integrity of the wood, so if you go that route, just be careful not to leave the pipe in there too long.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Put it in the freezer pipe novelist said. The tenon will be easier to remove.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
Thank you both. Pipe Novelist, the tenon was removed from the stem. I will try the freezer.

many thanks

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Time for a new stem. Thankfully they are replaceable unlike some other things that could be snapped off in a tight hole.

Jan 8, 2013
+1 samanden. Just be sure to use the right size screw. You don't want to split the shank in the process.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've done the tiny screw thing successfully, only much easier is to drill the screw in until it has a good grip, stick the pipe in the freezer overnight, and the tenon will basically fall out with the slightest pull after.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
After the tenon removed if still feels tight for shank simply put little bit of bee wax on the tenon.

And then put it into shank slowly clockwise.Take the time process slowly.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Got a pic of the tenon? What I get from your posts is that the tenon pulled out of the stem--staying in the shank. IF that is correct the stem can have new tenon installed, or if it's still in one piece the old tenon can be epoxied back in place--no need for a new stem. It's not hard to glue in a tenon, but there are steps needed to make sure it doesn't pull out again.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
Thank you everyone for sharing your expertise, it's very much appreciated.
The freezer operation failed, so now I'll attempt samanden's advice along with the Andrew ammendment.
The stem is in mint condition, it's just the tenon that's bringing me to my knees in frustration.
Thanks again fellas

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just make sure you lightly put in the screw as I've cracked a tenon before I discovered the freezer trick, and you need it in the freezer a good 8 hours, don't try to force it. If it doesn't come out easily just send it to a pro or you may end up breaking the shank, which I've done experimenting with pipes I've gotten cheap and broke the stem leaving a tenon stuck in the shank.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
Problem solved; some clown had actually glued the tenon into the shank. I'll be sending it off to the USA to have the tenon drilled out, a new one fitted to the stem and married to the shank.
I just don't understand some people's thinking.
Thanks all for the advice.

Now to Google a reputable USA pipe repairer.

Status
Not open for further replies.