PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A Meerschaum I bought over 40 years ago has broken at the tenon, pictured below. It's a screw in type, and I am wondering how to remove the broken off piece. I can insert a tiny phillips head to get a bit of purchase on it, but light pressure won't budge it. More I don't want to try! I don't know the material into which the screw in tenon is lodged, which could be critical for what to apply that might help loosen it. If there's another method, also, I'd love to hear it.
Meerschaum%20jpm.jpg

Meers in question
Obviously, need to learn how to handle images here!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Tenon looks like it pokes out just enough. Find a screw that is just the right size so as to not stress the shank, dab some superglue on it, screw it in ways and let it dry. Then unscrew the tenon. This should work if it broke off due to snapping and not due to it being gummed up and stuck...
But I would use this as a last resort if no one else has a better idea.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, and I can see that'd give more purchase, but I am really hoping to be able to loosen it before that. Sort of WD 40 for meerschaum, if there is such an animal.
Would soaking in water be a reasonably safe procedure? Or just drops of water right on the area be safe?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Use a left-hand threaded tap---NOT a tapered screw (it will expand the tube and break the shank)---that's been ground short if necessary. Keep backing in and out to clear the chip. When you reach the end of the threaded portion the tube should unscrew with continued turning.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#left-hand-thread-taps/=x8sh0l

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you! I picked up a tap, and also smoked the pipe a couple of times hoping the moisture might loosen it a bit. Took off the tape and applied the tap, but no joy. Then I started doubting myself, wondering if I was turning the wrong way (counter clock wise). Or if I should be working on the bit stuck in the stem?
Then I cleaned it, wiping the chamber with alcohol and a quick water rinse. The color starting coming through then! Anyway, she's resting, drying, waiting for a day with more info or more gumption.

Dec 24, 2012
I believe that "georged" above is none other than George Dibos of Precision Pipe Repair so he knows of what he speaks. Maybe flip him a PM.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If the torque of thread cutting isn't enough to break the tenon piece free, slide a cut-to-length piece of slip-fit tubing over the tap so that about 1/2" -- 5/8' of its thread is exposed. When THAT makes contact with the stuck portion 100% of twisting force will be focused on it. (I'm assuming you put the tap in a T-handle or some sort of chuck, so that the tube has something to butt up against on the other end.)
If that doesn't work---meaning it feels like the shank will shatter before the broken tenon piece breaks free---it has either been effectively epoxied in place by smoking tars and age, or it has a left hand thread itself. :lol:
Solvents and meer are a tricky combination. By far the guy who knows the most about meer restorations & repair that I'm aware of is Chuck Gray in Chicago. I'd give him a call if the addition of a slip-over tube doesn't git 'er done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow, some great help here! Thanks, gents.
Is it likely that the tenon is screwed into both the shank and the stem? Or was one made to slide in? Yes, I should know as I smoked it ages ago, but I have no idea, and the case was lost a long time ago, and there is only a pencil mark on the butt end of the shank, some number, 60 or 62, possibly a size or shape designation.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is it likely that the tenon is screwed into both the shank and the stem? Or was one made to slide in?
Good question. Every combination you can think of was used at one time or another by somebody. :lol:
I'm smoking an 1890 GBD as I type that has a bone connector which is glued into the stem, and screws into the shank. (A problematic design because bone is abrasive and wears away the wooden threads over time, resulting in over-turning / improper alignment when tight. Needless to say, it gets taken apart only rarely).
Your pipe could be the same design, or could use a Jobey Link sort of connector, where the stem is a push fit onto a smooth barrel whose hidden half is screwed into the shank. (Think the reverse of today's common push-fit design.)
The frozen piece in your pipe's shank could have been deliberately glued, I suppose.
If you try the slip-over tube and the piece still refuses to budge, contact Chuck Gray. On a wooden pipe you'd have several options including drilling it out, but meer is much softer than briar and all manner of Bad Stuff could happen very quickly if you didn't know EXACTLY what you were doing. (And still might even if you did. It's treacherously unpredictable stuff when old and dry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.