PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello

So I purchased a tin of Ten Russians and received and tried it last night. Only smoked one bowl so far, so this is just a 1st impression.
Overall-A Lat HEAVY blend!.The lat is very dry, smokey and has what I feel is a metal/soap/industrial taste. It sticks to your tongue. I found the Lat content much heavier than vintage Syrian. Correct me here ,but Ten Russians is Cyprian lat? and I guess I can taste the difference between it and Syrian. Not as bright and a thicker taste. Moving thru the smoke the Orientals and Va come in and out and when they are working together create a very nice taste. But then the Lat comes back and settles in for the night on your tongue.
Having recently become a convert to the church of Nightcap, I definitely appreciate the balance some perique adds to a lat blend and I think I was missing that from Ten Russians. I also did not find the nic content overwhelming by any means, but I know that is a completely subjective thing.
So..Its pretty good stuff and worth trying once. When I am in the mood for a major dose of lat I will smoke Ten Russians, but this is far from an everyday smoke.

Thanks for listening!!

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
A few years ago, this would have been right up my alley, but my tastes have changed and I no longer smoke lat-bombs.

I still enjoy lat from time to time, but in lighter doses, when it is added as a condiment only and is not overwhelming.

That being said, I will probably never try this blend (sadly).

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Smoking something like this makes me appreciate a blender that uses a deft hand to combine specific tobaccos. To many elements in the mix and the overall impression comes of as to light and kind of watered down. To few and and you get hammered with it and becomes monotonous.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm going to say (just because) give GLP Gaslight a try. :)
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5606/g-l-pease-gaslight

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
dmcmtk:

You are the 2nd person to recommend that blend. It goes on the list!!..I have tried Quiet Nights and found it lacking overall. Tasty but a bit weak.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I love Ten Russians! To me it is similar to Nightcap but without the nic hit. Been aging a few tins and smoke a bowl every now and then. It's my up front, in my face, I know what I am getting each time smoke.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Tried ten russians a couple of years ago but found Pirate kake to be better so i sold the tin of russians and have had none sinc. Now i feel i want to try it again :?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would not like this blend. I have a few blends, with a "whisper" of lat that I enjoy. Otherwise I avoid latakia.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I cracked a tin of Mystic Blend today. Smoked two bowls back to back. My impression was that it was a Lat. Bomb, but was more of a Medium English. It was oriental forward with a wonderful spice. I picked up the Mystic Blend because Smokingpipes.com was out of Ten Russians. Mystic Blend reminds me of Nightcap. More refined. Plus it has over 3 years of age.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
So I finished that 1st 2oz tin of ten russians and bought an 8oz tin. I really like the stuff. As 3rd guy stated above, it has very distinct flavor profile and when I want that flavor nothing else works. Not very complex by any means but smokes nice and burns well and superb lat bomb.

Perdurabo-nice info. I have been debating some of the other blends.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Ten Russians is great, I find it similar to Balkan Sobranie, although I don't know if others would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.