PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
This just dawned on me (duh). When smoking outdoors in cold weather, my pipe gets moist much faster due to the greater temperature gradient between bowl interior and exterior. So, I am thinking that drying my tobacco more would help- but probably not much else. Short of standing there vigorously rubbing my bowl like a weirdo. Anyone else experience this (the moisture, not bowl rubbing)? For reference, when I say cold I mean single digits or less Fahrenheit.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hiplain, the temperatures where I live have been fluctuating between -5F and +5F for the past couple of weeks, and there has been without a doubt a little extra moisture in the bottom of my pipe. I notice this every winter. At first (3 years ago) I thought it was bad technique. But seeing as I do not have this problem during warm weather, I am convinced that it has to do with the temperature.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've not noticed that particular phenomenon but I tend to smoke wet anyway. Temps up here in Anchorage dip into the thirties at night and then move into the upper forties. Early snow is all gone and I'm afraid I'll be mowing soon if things don't change. That won't happen though, the grass is dormant, probably wishing for a warm, deep coat of snow.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Since I live and work in the Phoenix, AZ area I've noticed that in the summer 102 - 118 degrees my pipies smoke hotter even when I am smoking slowly. I am not able to smoke in the company car while I am working.
John

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Yes, when it is cold out the stem and the bottom of the bowl are colder and so more moisture will condense. Drying your tobacco more might help since some of the moisture in the smoke stream is from the moisture that is initially present in the tobacco. I haven't rubbed my bowl since someone told me that it would make me go blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.