PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
About 20yrs ago I was looking for a Christmas present for my Grandda at the local B+M and they had these little Meers. No idea if they are block or pressed and at the time I had no idea what to look for in a pipe but I bought him one. It was a tiny thing with a cheap hard plastic stem and a screw-in, push-on tenon and Grandda, while flattered, never really smoked it. After he passed on it came back to me and I've had it about ten years now, smoking it now and then but the more I came to know about pipes and more serious about smoking I became the more I realized how truly horrible that plastic stem was. This weekend I was going through a few of my old smoking boxes and came across the tiny pipe and decided to have a bowl in it as I've been on a Meer kick recently. That plastic stem was horrible..... thick, hard, gritty, with just a straight hole coming out of a rudimentary button.... it just would not do. I happen to have a forever stem laying around from my attempt at cobs and decide to make a change. I cut off the tenon on the stem and using a drill bit in a t-wrench I slowly started drilling back the airway to fit the push-on Meer tenon to it fit. A little finishing fitting and voila!! My new little ten minute Meer! Smokes great, the stem is a success and I'm gonna enjoy smoking the pipe that is finally fitting for Grandda

880D0C0D-D319-4805-A76B-C7934382E095_zpsceralz72.jpg

2F45E74B-8D0E-4BCE-890E-6AC5569C0EF7_zps3zuprljy.jpg

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I'm fairly jealous of this little guy! I've been wanting to try a meer for some time and I had been looking for a small-bowled pipe for a little while now as well!
I did, however, end up popping in to Jade's Smokers Corner when I popped in to Regina this weekend and picked up a little savinelli pocket pipe which I am pretty excited for.
Good job turning that poorly-stemmed Meer in to something you're going to get a lot of enjoyment out of!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I did, however, end up popping in to Jade's Smokers Corner when I popped in to Regina this weekend and picked up a little savinelli pocket pipe which I am pretty excited for.

Where are you from? Jade's is where I bought this 20yrs ago and it is still my go-to B+M. Jeff there is a great guy.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Where are you from?
Saskatoon. A lady was working when I stopped in Friday afternoon but I talked to Jeff on the phone today. They had accidentally given my a box with 6mm filter and adapters, the pocket pipe I purchased takes a 9mm. We mutually decided it wasn't a big deal - I just didn't want them to end up giving the box with 9mm adapters to someone who bought a 6mm pipe.
Great shop though! Blows my local B&M out of the water. Name brand pipes, some estates, jars full of bulk tobacco to stick your nose in... it was a great experience! Wish I had taken more time to poke around but I was just making a quick stop on my way to Estevan and the gf was waiting in the car. May have to make a motorcycle trip out there in the fall.
To bring it back to the thread: That's really great that the B&M has been there for more than 20 years! That little pipe of yours ties itself nicely in to that storyline as well as your Grandda's! That's my favorite part about smoking a pipe, all the memories that get collected and imbued in the little smoking instruments.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a nifty little pipe. The stem swap you did fits the pipe nicely and looks as though it always was. Well done. :clap:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks all, now I'm looking forward to getting some colour into the pipe. It got its first waxing today along with my daily smoker, a meer cutty, and already shows some darkening to it. On a side note, Jade's was opened over 40yrs ago by Jeff's mentor Paul Spinrath and was my Dad's and my Grandda (mom's Dad) from day one. Great store and great guys there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forever Stems are a beautiful thing. Now you have a Meer made in heaven for smoking good flake. Small pipes are not toys or souvenirs but flake masters. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.