PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I just got my first tin of Boswell's Northwoods and a tin of Countryside. Still looking for my Frog Morton replacement. Just now trying the Northwoods and I am pleased. Not FM but not all that far off either. What is the hives comments on these blends? I've read the reviews but I want your opinion.
img_2292-600x448.jpg

Reactions: Jwebb90 and jpmcwjr

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I’m not really a Latakia guy but the 2oz. of Northwoods that I smoked, I did enjoy as a change of pace. Nice sweet Latakia blend

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
It is supposed to be close to FMC but I don't see it. I think the Latakia is more forward and there is no bourbon note to it. I liked it but to me it was closer to Balkan Sasieni then Frog.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I honestly think they used to use McC tobaccos to blend Northwoods and has probably since changed now that McC is no more. I haven’t smoked it in about 7 years or so but I do remember back in the day when I first tried Frog Morgan Cellar, I thought the two were cousins. I thought of Northwoods as a crossover English and I used to LOVE it but these days I prefer my English blends to be free of a topping.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
All my Northwoods was obtained prior to the closing of MC. I thought it was close to FM but not the same. As far as new Northwoods I can't really say.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I love all the Boswell english blends. Northwoods is wonderful as is Railroad Station. Even their Mild English is good. I can’t say they are close to FMC but they are unique in their own right. Definitely worth a try if you haven’t experienced them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Northwoods is a nice crossover English. The added sweetness of the cavendish nicely counterbalances the dominant smokey qualities of the Latakia. It has been years since I smoked it but from what I remember it was enjoyable.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
I really like Northwoods. Smokey, pungent and a bit sweet and I love it when accompanied by Laphroig 10. My FM tins are long gone, but in my opinion, Northwoods is a reasonable replacement. My palate is definitely NOT sophisticated, but just my $.02 worth. Enjoy!

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I got a sample a couple of months ago, and it's really good, but I do get a bit of an artificial taste to it.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I squirled away 8oz in 2016. I need to dig it up and smoke it again. I smoked one bowl on arrival and thought it was good but more Latakia than I expected. I just don't reach for blends with Latakia often.

Status
Not open for further replies.