PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Hey guys, new member here.

I bought my first pipe over 10 years ago at the age of 16. Smoked it a few times and stopped for 10 years. Now, I'm back again, spending time researching and buying pipes and tobaccos.

Personally, I'm not much of a smoker, just smoke once a month or so, but I just love pipes.
I have 3 pipes, two Savinellis and one Mr. Brog (the next one will be Peterson)
So far I've tried:

Davidoff Flake Medallions-like it a lot,

Peterson Connoisseur's Choice-like it

CAO Bella Vanilla-didn't like it at all (tried a few times in two different pipes).
Since, I have a soul of a collector (and an awesome soon to be wife who supports my hobby), I'm planning on placing a bigger order...look at what I got and recommend something.
Based on my limited experience, I like Vaper, aromatics and I'm assuming that down the road I will try the English blend...so in my basket I got a few aromatics, few virginias and some "entry-level" English blends
Orlik Golden Sliced (50g tin)

Peterson Tin - Sunset Breeze (50g)

Peterson Tin - Nutty Cut (50g Tin)

Peterson Tin - Connoisseurs Choice (50g)

McClelland Tin - Frog Morton (50g)

Escudo Navy DeLuxe (50g)

Dunhill Tin - Early Morning Pipe (50g)

McClelland Tin - Frog Morton on the Town (50g)

Davidoff Flake Medallions (50g tin)
Please let me know what you think and if there is anything else that you would add/change to my cart.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Frog Morton Cellar is out of stock...but I might wait with my order until it's back available. I'm hoping not to buy any more pipe tobacco any time soon, with the amount I smoke...this should last me for a very long time:)

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome michalski.
You have a fine start. I think my only advice would be, if you can afford it, to get 2 tins of everything you have in your cart. That way if you like it, you still have some you can smoke while you order more or you have a full tin to cellar and try again later on down the road.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums! You've got a good selection there.
Since you mentioned VaPer's I'll just riff off a few of my favorites that I didn't see on your cart. (warning LBF and Marlin Flake have Cavendish in them).
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake

PS Luxury Navy Flake

Rattray's Marlin Flake

McCelland's Beacon
Macbaren Club Blend (not really a VaPer, but sweet and spicy. I think it'll be dynamite with some age on it.)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Welcome to the forums. You have a nice list and the best advice is to store what you like. Your taste buds will change over the years, but it looks like VA dominates the list. For ageing VA will make the most difference and worth it in the long run.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Those are all nice blends. I find Dunhill EMP is heavy on the latakia, however I find myself not craving the 'punch in the face' latakia blends. Frog Morton blends are VERY well rounded and the latakia isn't overpowering in them and I think that's why I like them so much. If you like aros why not try out some Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular or Royal blends? Also Altadis makes some nice aros. 4noggins' blends are good for starters as well. When you place an order with them just give them a call or add to customer comments you would like to try out some of their house blends and I'm sure Rich would be happy to send off a couple samples (if he has them made up) Stokkebye's Nougat is pretty good from what I have read but I haven't tried it and it is on my list to try.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Looks like you're well on your way.
All good suggestions above...

I might add these to that list:

A tin of blending Perique (for when you want to kick up the flavor a bit)

Haddo's Delight

Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd

And of course some Lane Ltd. 1Q

:puffy:

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Thank you guys for your help.
I believe there is a club not too far away from where I live, I might check it out. For many reasons, I limit myself to only a bowl or two per month and thats not even every month... with the 10-11 tins I'm looking to get, plus the 3 that I already have, I will be set for a very long period of time. One of the reason of getting a bigger order is to avoid paying higher taxes in the future (thanks Obama!) and also from my experience with the ammo shortage...wanting something but not being able to buy it is not a fun feeling:)

Regardless of not smoking too often, I really like every aspect of this hobby.
Once again, thanks all for your help and have a fantastic day:)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Nothing wrong with any of your choices, but for an introduction to English blends, I would recommend Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury. It is a very smooth and mellow blend and is both inexpensive and readily available in bulk. I also enjoy Proper English and English Oriental Supreme from the same blender. Again, both are easy to find and easy on the pocket book.
+1 These blends are easy on the tongue, the search, and the pocketbook.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I find Dunhill EMP is heavy on the latakia
Um - I don't think EMP has any latakia. Here's the tin description:

Sweet Oriental carefully blended with Bright and Red Virginias, pressed and lightly stoved. Great as the
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>r

arousing the palate for the further pleasures of the day.

I have never smoked it, but heard it was similar to SG Skiff, which I don't care for, so I haven't bothered. (I like my latakia.)
Welcome to the forum, Michalski, and enjoy the journey.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What would be good "entry level" English blend?
That can be hard to tell - it's very individual. Some guys come from the cigar world and like full flavors. Others start with aromatics and like crossovers like the Frogs.
I have heard good things about the PS mentioned above, but have not tried it. My personal fave is Peterson's Old Dublin, which I consider a middle of the road, smoke it any time sort of English blend.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury is only sold in bulk, no tins, correct?
Sounds like I will have to check it out and that gives me a good reason to get another pipe. I dedicate my pipes based on the general genre, so one pipe for aromatics, one for Virginia/VaPe, and another pipe is needed for the English blend.

I like the Savinelli's pipes that I got but this time I might get a Peterson...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, Stokkebye is a bulk only dealer.
Sounds like I will have to check it out and that gives me a good reason to get another pipe. I dedicate my pipes based on the general genre, so one pipe for aromatics, one for Virginia/VaPe, and another pipe is needed for the English blend.

I like the Savinelli's pipes that I got but this time I might get a Peterson...
You might want to consider Stanwell as well. Excellent pipes for the money. I would not hesitate to add another Stan to my rotation.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Here it comes again....
but I think GL Pease's Chelsea Morning is a fantastic mild English blend. As of right now, it's the only English blend I plan on purchasing again. I literally want a bowl of this every single day.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Michalski:
If you smoke so infrequently the best thing you can do to protect your tobacco investment is buy a case of pint sized canning jars at Wal-Mart. (The wide mouth jars are easier to get your meathooks into.) As soon as you open a tin jar the remaining tobacco to ensure freshness and, in the case of your Virginias, promote aging.
At that point get out a Sharpie and some surgical tape to label the contents. It's not pretty but it is effective.
More than anything else please always remember that the dumb question is the one which never gets asked.
Welcome to the forums, friend.
Fnord

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
+1 to jarring. If you like to mix up what you smoke and can't empty your tin fast enough jars are the way to go. Variety is the spice of life and it looks like you're off to a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.