Tell Me More About This "Lakeland" Flavor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Believe it or not I have just begun to comprehend there is some "Lakeland Flavoring" I am not aware of. Please give me some examples of Lakeland style tobacco's I can try to gain this understanding I wish to acquire as well as some descriptions of it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My only experience with it was Ennerdale Flake from Gawith Hoggarth & Co. For me it was a terrible experience. All I tasted was a nasty soapy flavor. Soap is supposed to make me smell good not be in my pipe bowl.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Samuel Gawith is another Lakeland. Their aromatic "grousemoor" has the anice flavoring in it (in my opinion). Try it, if you don't like it. Contact me. I'll like it for you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To my mind, it is the soapy geranium-rose perfume style scent they seem to dump on certain UK tobaccos. It is immediately distinctive to those who have an aversion to it, at least.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
aromatic "grousemoor" has the anice flavoring

It's lemongrass :)
OP, smoking pipes has a pretty solid descriptions of the flavorings found in Lakeland aromatics. At least for Gawith and Hoggarth bulk blends.
If you're question is about Lakeland style tobacco in general, the Lakeland is an area in England around Kendall, known for lakes (duh), wet weather, pig farms and ancient tobacco firms Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth. There's speculation that the need for strongly scented tobaccos arose as a way of counteracting the smell emanating for local farms. There's some evidence that the flavoring agents and recipes sprung from snuff recipes. Which makes some sense as many of the flavors seems like an anachronism in your a fan of modern aros'. Flavors include: rose, geranium, licorice, tonquin bean, almond, honeydew, toffee, coconut, etc.
A lot of folks mention a grandma's perfume aroma. Barbarians, I say.

Mar 1, 2014
Ennerdale: smells like perfume, tastes like candy.

A fresh tin is an assault on the senses though.

I love how the fragrance department just reminds me of tobacco now.
Gawith Hoggarth flakes are not your average aromatic, they use as good a base Virginia as you could ask for, it's maybe a bit of a strange combination but if you didn't spend your childhood sucking on dish detergent then it should taste fine.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I will have all of your Samuel Gawith's regardless of Lemongrass or not. Great with a couple cold IPA's

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
The description given by bigpond and others pretty well covers it.

Don't let anyone scare you away from the lakelands.

I would suggest you order an ounce of three or four different Lakeland tobaccos.

Suggested ones to try: Kendal Flake, Grasemere flake, Brown twist sliced and Dark Flake scented.

The latter two have a nice nicotine punch, so be careful.

Smoke the entire ounce of each (if you can) before you make up your mind as to whether you like them or not.

I didn't care for the taste or scent at first, but now they are some of my favorites.

Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not drawn to any flavoring that upstages or undermines the tobacco, and in fact, I prefer no flavoring at all. The further problem with Lakeland blends is that they linger in pipes "for all time," or a long time. Unless you always want those flavors blended in with whatever else you smoke, it's a kind of contamination. I've heard it described as perfume-like, soapy, an old lady's purse, and floral. I think there are Lakeland smokers who become accustomed and only smoke those blends, and for them, presumably, these are old familiar friendly tastes and smells.
That said, some of the happiest few days of my life were spent in the Lake District of England where Lakeland blends originate, but I wasn't smoking them there.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love the tobaccos from SG/GH, but find the Lakeland essence disgusting. When people talk about the Lakeland scent/flavor, they are referring to the soapy old lady purse/funeral home scent that is equal parts roses, geraniums and concealed death. I highly recommend these tobaccos but try to stay away from the ones with heavy Lakelanding, despite esteeming their quality highly. mso489's point about them ghosting pipes, cabinets, curtains and even full homes is a good one.
Here's pasts thread on this topic:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/please-define-lakeland

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lakeland-essence

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/that-lakeland-essence

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/can-anyone-recommend-some-lakeland-blends

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/describe-lakeland-essence

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/talk-to-me-about-tonquin
You may also recall this bit of absurdity:
K4VETG4.png

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I believe the lakeland flavor also comes from British purity laws regarding natural flavorings/scents for tobacco. For me a good entry into lakelands is G&H BB#2, it has a really slight scent which is there intentionally, at first you kind of taste it in the background, you almost have to look for it. Then G&H Bob's chocolate flake has a bit more of the "soapy" essence but with a nice chocolate flavor. Kendal Flake is another great one from G&H and is a lemony citrus flavor with no "soapy" flavor. I wouldn't go head first into it with a really strong scented flake, I find you can acquire the taste, it's almost like with beer, I don't think many people have their first beer and think it's the nectar of the God's. I hated beer for a few years but prevailed and now I think it's the nectar of the Gods and love it. I think this is the best way to approach lakelands as well. Don't go headfirst into it with something like Ennerdale. Of course you can but you may end up hating lakelands, when you actually might learn to enjoy them if you ease your way into them.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I rather enjoy a bowl of Bob's golden yellow kake, and as for Gwaith's hog wart plug,simply Delicious. Kendal Camphor Cream is one for the more discerning smoker.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I hope TR adds a category for urinal cakes so we can find the unicorn among them. I bet it's the American Standard "Mango Lemon" scented from the 1970s. Be right back, checking eBay...

May 31, 2012
ScyYULG.jpg
I'll echo the aforementioned about the scents being sprung from the snuff flavor recipes - in some cases they are named the same as well, what we now know as 1792 was formerly called Cob Flake, and there existed a corresponding snuff, with both being tonquin flavored I reckon.
zX0RCQg.jpg

The essence shelf at S. Gawith
Me, being so partial to UK style baccy, should love this stuff, but I'm averse to most of them, not only because I dislike the intense florality, but the scent essence seems to be powdered - there is a silky texture to the flakes, along with glistening crystals, which I suspect is the flavor agents, and unlike other traditional UK baccies which are more fully saturated - and, the Lakeland scenteds tend to be scratchy on my throat.
A couple of years I ago I was pondering all of this:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lakelands-an-attempt-to-understand-the-famous-gawith-scents
:
HlWUcnt.jpg

Recently came across an old tin of Flycatcher Flake,

pretty interesting!
bjILOVc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.