PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am quite familiar with Turkish Meer, I have 3 and they are all good smokers. I won an (Supposedly African Meer) on E-Bay, but I know nothing about them. It is rather plain and not very much money.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It is a firmer meerscham stone. It will take a few life times to get it to color. They are strong enough to have screw in stems. Plus I hear they can take a bit more abuse, not that any pipe smoker is ever bad on their pipes but accidents happen.

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
LMGTFY :mrgreen:
Mine smokes very well, lucky score that.
It will color eventually, G.L Pease had an article about it, a challenge I believe, couple years back.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it is much harder than turkish meer and it is almost always colored, or has its own color. I have one that I smoke, the exterior is easier to maintain than a regular white meer.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
African meer is extremely variable judging from pipes I have worked on. Some of it is yellow, some brown, some white, some all 3 in one block. I have tried sanding and restaining several and they never take stain well at all, always blotchy results and not much penetration. What amazes me is how well it absorbs moisture. You can hold the block under water, take it out and within a few seconds its absorbed all the moisture into the block and feels dry. Why it doesnt take the stain in is a mystery to me.

So the pipe may or may not color. I would expect it to have some subtle changes with a lot of use, but that will depend on the block I suppose.

Like others mentioned, it is tough stuff. Very much like a rock, where Turkish is more like hardened clay.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
instead of stain try a dye... it works better on difficult wood maybe it'll work better on the meer.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well the one I won is "supposed" to be Africian Meer but...... I am always skeptical. I got it for $19.50. It is black and has a very small insignia of a Girraph on the stem. We shall see. I am not too confident as there were only a few bidders, however the seller had a very good rating.

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
Tanganyika
If your logo looks like this then you have a - Kudu series - Tanganyika African meer pipe.
Mine is a Kiko series with an elephant instead of a giraffe; and smokes very well.
Yours should be an excellent smoke, congrats. 8)

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
As I love African block meers. All of mine are great smokers and I'm always on the lookout to add to my collection.

Here are a few of mine.
img_0385-600x448.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Wow you have a great collection keith929. Is that second one to the right Peterson related? Looks like it has a p-lip.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Just about all of those Meers I bought as estates from SmokingPipes.

From the left they are as follows:

1. Nusi

2. Barling

3. Kilimanjaro

4. Sportsman

5. Peterson

6. White Elephant (received new as a gift for my 18th birthday)
Thanks for all the great comments guys.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Some great stuff. One day I might have to pick one up and compare it to the turkish ones I have.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, I hear ya. But I am a plain, Jane kind of Guy when it comes to possessions. Here is a pic of my favorite Meer and you will understand that I like my stuff plain. lol BTW, this pic is before I cleaned it up.
006-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.