Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Teflon Replacement Tenon

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Okay guys, so I have a rare billard from a lot that I bought. I love this maker's pipes. He is now passed. I buy a lot, keep the one's I want, then meticulously clean, buff, and sell the rest. I had quite a few pipe's by this maker, and they have sold fast. I had a tenon break on one of them, and wanted to keep the original marbleized stem. It is a translucent amber and brown. I sent it out because I don't have the tools to do it accurately. I got it back with a white teflon tenon. It only shows a little, but it is obvious there was a replacement, and I am wondering if it has lost some resale value? Also, I smoked a few puffs out of it and noticed it was difficult to draw through because the hole is smaller. The biggest deal is that each hit I taste a little plastic in the smoke. I heard that this is the case with teflon. Does anyone know about this, what to do, and if it will go away. I already sunk some of my profit in the repair, but the main thing is if someone buys a pipe from me for a hundred bucks, I want them to enjoy the most important part, not take a few puffs and set it down. All the pipes I have smoked by this maker have smoked like a dream. Any insight?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Teflon? Seems it shouldn't taste. I have heard of delrin repairs. Got pictures?

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I can get pictures on here tomorrow when I have better light. The name has the word gypsy cuz the missus and I have lived on the road for a couple years and live in an rv. The lighting is dim at night. Someone who has been smoking pipes for years told me it would have a bit of a taste and thought it was teflon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Okay jpmcwjr thanks. I just have to take the photos in better light.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It is most likely Delrin. A number of pipe makers use Delrin tenons because they do not wear like other materials. Chris Askwith uses that material and his pipes are superb (I have several). The only way you could discern that the tenon was Delrin, would be by taking it apart. There is a ton of Delrin tenon info on the Pipe Makers Forums.

However, a replacement tenon will always decrease the value of any pipe..

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could be wrong but aren't Delrin inserts made from Teflon?

I always assumed so.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Delrin may very well have some teflon, as it is said to be a harder version. So if I have an 85 dollar pipe, how much would the value get knocked down with a tenon replacement? I am going to take it to my buddy at the cigar shop to smoke to see if he notices anything off on Friday.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Delrin (acetal) and teflon are different chemical compounds. My bet is on Delrin. I suppose the lower value doesn't matter much if you are going to keep the pipe. Maybe to someone who is a collector and wants 100% original items it would matter.

Delrin is a hydrocarbon compound, teflon is a fluorocarbon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A replacement tenon is probably a 25% deduction on value, depending on the quality of the repair job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

13. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

On an $85 or 100 pipe a repair is not going to do much to the price...on a $500 pipe or more, it would have a big impact on the price...

...and 90% sure the repair is Delrin- if the draw is tight, it's easy to open that part very easily...

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That is what I was thinking Zack. I payed 5 for the pipe, so I am not going to sweat 15 or 20 bucks. The draw is tight though. How do you fix it? I have a round file that may do the trick. I am going to have my buddy smoke in the morning it to see if he notices anything off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

. The draw is tight though. How do you fix it?

The area you want to work on is the tenon itself. If you have some small drill bits, find one that fits the hole. Once you've found that size, take a bit 1/32" larger and drill it out. That should do it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Okay Zack, thanks. I have two tenons replaced by Tim West. One is hardly noticeable, and looks good. Is the 25 percent automatic, or depends on how it looks and the job? Sorry to ask a lot of questions, but fairness and honesty is important, but I don't want to lose too much either. I can see maybe 15 percent if it was a good job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the help. Sorry Nevada, I screwed up posting the photo. Gotta try again tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just copied the address from the photo and posted it, no biggie. Nice looking pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

There's no set number, it will vary by pipe, repair,quality, grade, etc. Even then, there is no constant.
    The only true way to know is let it sell at auction and see where it lands.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nevada. I am taking the teflon one to my buddy in a minute to check out. They think it shouldn't go down too much in value. It's still a great pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper