PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

treitz

Lurker
Dec 20, 2018
This may be weird question, but has anybody experience wear on their teeth from "clinching" the pipe in the same location?
Back story - I recently went to the dentist and he mentioned that I need stop grinding my teeth. Well, I don't grind my teeth. At least not to my knowledge. I assumed I did it at night, but this doesn't make sense either because my wife is a light sleeper. She would tell me if I did. Then, last night, it dawned on me. The ONE tooth that is worn flat is right where I typically clinch my pipe. I usually smoke while doing other things, so it's super common for me to clinch it in my mouth, and I didn't realize until last night that I almost always do it in ONE location.
So, aside from being better about where I clinch the pipe, is there a way around this? I don't know if anybody makes rubber sleeves for the pipe stem or something like that.
For now, I'll be more cautious about where and how often I clinch the pipe, and maybe this post will help someone else.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I use rubber selves on my pipes. I chew the hell out of them without thinking about it. My corncob pipes have a smaller stem and the rubber does not fit too well. Those I smoke until I chew through the stem and then just throw them away.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Iv noticed a few of my teeth feel a little loose since i started but iv had issues with mine for a while i tried dip for a little while got pretty bad i think i might have sensitive gums or something

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If you smoke clay pipes you get a notch, but I've not experienced any wear from pipes.
One thing to keep in mind is this personal story. I made the mistake of telling my dentist I smoked a pipe and that lead to a discussion and then diagnosis that my teeth and gums were doomed. I went back 6 months later, told them I quite smoking, although I had jumped it up quite a few steps. Low and behold I was on the road to recovery and wonderful oral health.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Never heard of anything like that...
Rounded-notch-in-occlusion-due-to-habitual-pipe-smoking-individual-no-2-130-male_Q320.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I dislike the word "clenching" because it implies one is biting down hard on the stem. So I consciously hold it as lightly as possible, and change the position now and then.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Some guys suggested that anything heavier than 40 grams is bad for your teeth. I don't know how they came up with that figure, but my dentist said that I could "clench" as long as I do it with common sense. So if you are trying to hold a half a pound pipe with your teeth, yeah you will have trouble with the dentures.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
For the grinding issue. Go to the sporting goods section and get one of those cheap mouth guards (upper only). Fit it according to directions and wear it when you sleep. After a few weeks to a month, you'll see wear if your grinding. Take it with you to the dentist.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@milehighpiper How did you get hold of my dental x-rays? I have terrible pipe notches from years of smoking clay pipes until my early 20's.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Before getting into the hobby I read up on the potential negative health issues. However, my happiness while I smoke, the friends I have met and the entertainment from pipe smoking far outweigh the health risks for me! I try not to clench the pipe in my teeth and simply put it down if I need to use my hands. I detail my teeth and mouth after each smoke session and I smoke in moderation. What’s the worst that can happen?

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
One thing I forgot to mention in my post yesterday on this topic is that I also use very light pipes, and this helps a ton! In fact yesterday I consciously noticed that when I rotated from a pipe that I had been smoking out of for the past 5 days (I do a 5 day rotation on my pipes), how much heavier my next pipe was...then I remembered that the former was only 1.5 oz, but the latter was 1.9 oz's, what a difference 0.4 oz's makes. The 1.9 oz is the heaviest I own, but I always try to keep it as close to 1.5 oz as possible with new purchases. The amount of stress on your teeth is considerably reduced the lighter the pipe is.

kiltedpiper

Lurker
Dec 6, 2018
what a difference 0.4 oz's makes.
Yea I am with you there Economistandfisherman. I have bad teeth from having to use a lot of inhalers growing up, but i've found that my breathing and lung capacity has improved since starting with the pipe (probably due to using it to build a stable rhythmn than anything else) but I have noticed that my teeth do hurt on occasion and there are a few pipes I have that I don't want to clench just from weight.
I might have to try the rubber guards for when I am fishing, since I've got the pipe tootling along the whole time and I want my hands free. Save the stress on it all. But i'm with Spartacus, the cobs I will just chew on till they go out on me. Its one reason I like them, they are the pipes I can take anywhere and not be sad about dropping or losing.

treitz

Lurker
Dec 20, 2018
Sorry the post and bail. Holidays got in the way, and this site doesn't appear to have very good notifications.
Anyway, cool to see so much feedback. I might try rubber sleeves. At any rate, I'm just happy to know WHAT was causing the wear so that I can fix it. I have been more conscious while smoking my pipe of which teeth I am using IF "clinching", and also moving it around and setting it down more.
Great feedback. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.