PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canvas

Lurker
Feb 13, 2016
Not to gross anyone out, but what do people suggest for removing stains on the teeth?
Me: I was a casual cigarette smoker for 20 years and quit when I turned 40. In that time I never noticed any discoloration to my teeth, I began smoking a pipe (about 2-3 times a day) for the last year and am now noticing some staining to my front teeth and more so to the backs of my lower ones.
Last week I switched to a whitening toothpaste and have seen some positive results, but wondered if there was a sure fire solution to this, or if it might be attributed to aging as well as from the obvious smoke.
I've read that rinsing your mouth out and brushing immediately after smoking helps.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, go get a polish from your dentist, then start using Listerine mouth wash after brushing your teeth.. it does a lot ;)

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Try brushing you teeth with baking soda once in awhile, maybe a couple time a week. Just dampen you brush with water and dip in in some baking soda and the brush like normal. I always follow up with regularly tooth paste. Pair this with the mouth wash as suggested before and you should see a difference soon.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Whitening toothpastes are not all created equally. Some rely on peroxide. Those work best on stains which have infiltrated the enamel. Others rely on silica as an abrasive. Those work best on superficial stains...but using them too often and/or too aggressively can create microscopic scratches in the enamel which actually promote plaque accumulation. And in the extreme, those toothpastes can actually wear the enamel. Your best first step is a professional prophy at your dentist's. They can advise you of the condition of your enamel, and what kind of toothpaste suits you best. They may tell you to use a desensitizing toothpaste, as those contain ingredients that help make the enamel harder and more impervious to staining.

Status
Not open for further replies.