PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
my technique is this. start with a clean pipe. put in just a pinch and smoke that down to ash, dont dump it out. let is sit and get cold and do the same thing again till ive done it two or three times. then try to light it again and when that fails, softly tamp the ashes or just add your normal pinch and softly tamp that down. your ashes will compress and smoke away.
for me, this does three things. the ashes provide some what of a filter, pipe doesnt get so hot and the smoke seems to have a better flavor. this seems to work three of four pipe fulls or until it needs to be done.
whats yours?

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've tried relighting a pipe I've smoked halfway through and thought it to be horribly nasty. Won't do that again.
I fill to the rim and lightly tamp, then fill again, tamp, and repeat until the bowl is full. After I'm finished with the bowl, no matter if there is any baccy left or just ashes, I dump the remains and run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank.
This has ensured that I get a clean smoke every time without too much of previous flavors if I smoke something different the next time.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I was using a two step method as well but not anymore. I take a clean pipe and plung it into the baccy. Then I use my index finger tostart filling the pipe not packing anything until the pipe is full then I take my finger, and get a pretty good wad of baccy in front of the bowl. Using some pressure I push the baccy into the pipe and tamp using my finger till it feels like a cigar on the top. Works for me pretty good.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
When I first picked up the hobby, I swore by the "Three Stage" pack. Then, I discovered the "Frank" method, and figured well, hey, the Germans are reputed to be masters of efficiency, so this must be the way to go. Deciding that I would rather spend an hour smoking my pipe, than an hour loading my pipe, I went to the Airpocket or Cannonball methods.

These days, I don't put nearly as much thought into it; grab a handfull of tobacco, wad it up some, pack the bowl, and go...and I've found that my enjoyment level has increased tenfold since.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'm with Schmitz. About the only "technique" I apply is to try more or less to keep the tobacco a little looser on the bottom and a little firmer on the top. But that's it. Then usually a charring light, then the real deal and very rarely do I have to re-light. (If the charring light takes hold and burns on in, that's all the better.)
I think new smokers often don't realize just how much tobacco can/should go into a pipe.
I watched the "Frank Method" video online somewhere. (Well, alright, fast forwarded through most of it.) Honestly, the whole precise, meticulous and closely ordered operation seemed -- how to put this politely? -- unnecessarily German.
(I'm half German/half Irish, so I say it with love.)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I open the jar and shove tobacco into the pipe till my educated finger says it's just right. Of course I have been smoking a pipe for over 40 years so experience is the key there. I always start with an empty pipe.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Empty and clean pipe.
Put the necessary pinches of tobacco into a plastic bowl i keep for the occasion.
Pack and load pipe, over bowl, using the Normandy Invasion method.
Dump leftovers from bowl back into bag.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Though i consider myself new to smoking pipe i have always gone with unclearthur's method.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
The Normandy Invasion method.
It starts with the perceived notion of German superiority of method, which leads to the initial momentum going that way. However, the American/Canadian/English push takes over, eventually leading to a smoldering mess of things.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Modified Frank method , I like to call it the Igloo stuff and puff . I do use my thumbs on the top of the bowl just like in the video .

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I pretty much just load the bowl with what fits my fancy and smoke till' I get tired of it. Sometimes the whole bowl, sometimes half... I don't use any particular method; just pack, check draw, pack again... until it seems good. That tends to work for me better than if I try to use some precision step method. Don't know why, it just does. I will also add that from time to time I will smoke an old bowl(a few hours or oven an overnighter) depending on what blend is in there. Some blends just go terribly stale though, once cooled down. Others are great, and even a few seem better once "aged" in the pot overnight.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
The technique that has served me best was taught to me by tobacco salesman in Pleasonton CA. Baby, Mamma, Pappa - increasing the packing with the gentlest fill at the bottom. Increase the pressure - not too hard towards the top. Hence the Familial Pecking Order. This method has served me for over 20 years. Also I don't do many relights - I find that if a pipe has tobacco is left to rest too long with tobacco still in it the relights tend to be harsh and acridic. Also I tend to work my pipes - if I smoke several bowls in a row - it's the same pipe. If I light up a pipe - smoke it - and then go do something - work, errands, anything that may take a couple of hours, etc. - I will pick a fresh clean pipe. My reasoning is simple - all pipes that I have left for a number of hours - just don't smoke as well - often - jading the smoke with an unpleasant taste - which is a violation (IMHO) of the tobacco. After all I wouldn't pick up a beautifully marbled steak, grill it with sauteed mushrooms and then put the whole thing on a filthy plate to be consumed - then complain about how lousy my meal tastes. Just common sense stuff folks.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I live next door to a custom motorcycle maker so my method is to pack the bowl as tight as possible and then use his metal air hammer to pack it down even more. I can get nearly two full ounces crammed into the average bowl. It's a bitch to puff but a great work out for the lungs and a real boon to my cycling. I can usually make one bowl last a whole two weeks puffing on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.