PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is anyone else watching Olympic hockey? Heck of a game this morning. T. J OSHIE! 4 goals on six shoot out shots. I can't believe we beat Bobrovsky in a shoot-out.

What a game, defensively brutal. Quick was amazing too. We were fortunate to keep Alex O off the scoreboard in the 2nd Period, he had what, 3 post hits? Where was Carlson today?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
That was a fantastic game. Too bad both of those teams are going to lose to team Canada though ;)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Agreed AL, as a Canuck I'm more than a little worried playing either team. I think our defence is head and shoulders better than any other nation, but goaltenders are still a bit of a question mark. Canada's third and fourth lines are far and away better than either the Russian or American teams but those first two lines on either squad are just downright scary. It was a he of a game to watch and good on the US to pull it out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have gotten hooked on Olympics in the past, but I haven't watched any this time. It's not Russian

bashing. I think it may be a healthy outreach from/to a country that tends toward isolationism. I

think it's a good and healthy experience for the Russian public, and I wish them well. I think it must

be a rough venue for the athletes. Lots of money was spent, but the venue was not worked out in

advance, and there are many odd aspects, some of them comical. I don't think it is particularly comfortable

for the visiting athletes, a little bit of the feel of a minimum security prison, really nice but not open and

comfortable. Our hockey team is terrific; if anything will draw me in, it might. I was sorry to hear

The Flying Tomato imploded in his main snowboard event. His business interests and Lamborghini

elbowed out his hunger for the gold, but he's still a great success story.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
I have heard that Putin has announed the official that made the call that the goal was loose has made the decision to permanently immigrate to Siberia to a resort called Gulag.
In other news the head of FIBA is calling for the Russians to be given more shots in the overtime.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Warren, generally I would agree however you only have to look at the last Olympics to see see that isn't always the case. In 2010 the US clearly had the better goaltender, but Canada was the better team. Miller almost pulled it out in the end but it is still a team game. It is always scary facing a hot goalie in single elimination games.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought Bob was the hot goalie! (he has stoned the Caps in the past two games)
Good point on that disallowed Russian goal, we were lucky there on the no-goal call. I can see the Russian fans being disgruntled about that game changer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I changed the title of this thread to "Olympic Hockey Discussion", lets keep it going for any team as the games advance to the medal rounds.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Very impressive game this morning. Both teams played really well. Congrats to Quick and Oshie for getting the job done! Big ups to Oshie for giving Quickie credit. Doubt a player in any other sport would have done that.
Things have pretty much gone as expected, aside from Slovakia's loss to Slovenia.
The biggest question in the tourney at this point remains Canada's goaltending.
I was a bit shocked Quick got the nod against Russia, but he's on his game and it wouldn't surprise me if Bylsma sticks with him from here on out. When you get a hot goalie you have a great shot at winning.
GO USA!!! Oshie Olympics!!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another good win for Team USA. Ryan Kessel gets a hat trick and we get the bye. Miller missed a shutout by 15 seconds.
I watched Russia win in a shootout finish.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I do not know nothing about Hockey, but I was smoking in my pipe room and watched USA vs Russia, during the shoot out I was on the edge of my chair being careful as my back is slowly healing. When Oshie slapped it in for the win, I couldn't help it my arms went up and down shouting USA spilling ash all over the place. Go America!

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Hockey is awesome . I always love Olympic hockey , its great to see all the worlds best teams competing in both Men & Women's hockey. It was a very close game today with Canada & Finland. Good to see Team Canada win, the medal round is always so exciting to watch . GO Canada GO !

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A reporter asked T. J. Oshie what it felt like to be an "American Hero". What a classy kid!
1902030_832795170069813_1508494313_n.jpg

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Great tournament so far. Can't wait for the next round. Hopefully one of NBC's networks will carry the games instead of replaying ice dancing over and over again.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Finland takes out Russia 3-1 this morning! Holy crap that's a big upset for the home squad, but I've been saying it for years, any team that has Ovechkin on it as a leader will never win anything. He is a complete 0 for in big tournaments/playoffs. And no the world championships do not count as a major event.
He's a fantastic player with exceptional skills but he's selfish and one dimensional and unwilling to sacrifice his personal style for the team. He was getting ripped in the Russian media because he won't change on powerplays and stays out the whole time. This isn't the NHL, this is way faster and the best of the best.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I TOTALLY agree with you Brian, he is such a big baby. You would think the bigger ice would help him out since he is such a fantastic skater, but then again, the other 6 guys on the ice are pretty good too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.