PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamkazam

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
I have a dear friend who loves and collects tea. He has these metal tea tins that he stores his tea in. The tins are cheap and appear to be air tight. Anybody ever consider tea tins as alternatives to mason jars? Here in Florida, the mason jars can be problematic.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I haven't thought of using anything else. I can get a box of 12 1 pint jars for under $10. I live in Michigan though, and we don't have the humidity that Florida does.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The tea tins I've had experience with are far from air tight.

I wouldn't use them anyway... they may impart some flavor owing to the "ghosting" from the tea.

:puffy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is easier to find a solution for the humidity/mason jar problem than to find a usable tea tin...
If you absolutely refuse to try mason jars, then glass bail-top jars with a sound seal would be superior to the tea tins.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I know of these tea tins your talking about, I would personally take the tea out and store it in a mason jar, the seal is much better. They are not airtight.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I enjoy makeing my own tea blends, I drink 2 cups of tea, and then Coke Zero and water. Never anything else. I know tea won't last long so I use the snap ones that came when I first started. I would never store tobacco in them, even in my rotation line-up. Go to an art supple house, you'll find nice air tight containers any size or style you want for small storage. Mason jars for anything else.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Either Ball or Mason now makes airtight plastic storage "jars"; I just saw them at Walmart. They come in 2-3 sizes and may be just the solution you're looking for.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If you've got an IKEA near you (they list 3 in Florida, but all near major population centers), the KORKEN jars (bail top, glass, silicone seal, small one will hold 4 oz.) are an alternative. They're more expensive than Mason jars (

Status
Not open for further replies.