Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Tea Tins vs. Mason Jars

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

teamkazam

Login to Send PM

I have a dear friend who loves and collects tea. He has these metal tea tins that he stores his tea in. The tins are cheap and appear to be air tight. Anybody ever consider tea tins as alternatives to mason jars? Here in Florida, the mason jars can be problematic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I haven't thought of using anything else. I can get a box of 12 1 pint jars for under $10. I live in Michigan though, and we don't have the humidity that Florida does.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

tea tins as alternatives to mason jars?

Positively not for long term storage. For the ounce or two you've got in your rotation that you're into regularly, if the seal is good on those tea thinggies, sure, why not.

Wal-Mart, eBay, Amazon. Screw-top canning jars are all easily available, in whatever size, normal or wide mouth, from any of these. I use 8 ounce regular Ball jars = Case of 12, under $8 from Wal-Mart.

Oh and wherever you live, whatever the ambient humidity and temperature, it's important to keep pipe tobacco out of the light, and in a relatively cool place (ambient temp of under 75 F.). We use canning jars, so unlike cigars, the ambient humidity don't matter in the least since it won't affect pipe tobacco in a sealed canning jar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tea tins I've had experience with are far from air tight.
    I wouldn't use them anyway... they may impart some flavor owing to the "ghosting" from the tea.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is easier to find a solution for the humidity/mason jar problem than to find a usable tea tin...

If you absolutely refuse to try mason jars, then glass bail-top jars with a sound seal would be superior to the tea tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know of these tea tins your talking about, I would personally take the tea out and store it in a mason jar, the seal is much better. They are not airtight.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy makeing my own tea blends, I drink 2 cups of tea, and then Coke Zero and water. Never anything else. I know tea won't last long so I use the snap ones that came when I first started. I would never store tobacco in them, even in my rotation line-up. Go to an art supple house, you'll find nice air tight containers any size or style you want for small storage. Mason jars for anything else.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Either Ball or Mason now makes airtight plastic storage "jars"; I just saw them at Walmart. They come in 2-3 sizes and may be just the solution you're looking for.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

teamkazam

Login to Send PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the feedback. :o)

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you've got an IKEA near you (they list 3 in Florida, but all near major population centers), the KORKEN jars (bail top, glass, silicone seal, small one will hold 4 oz.) are an alternative. They're more expensive than Mason jars (

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tinpan, rsuninv, griffonwing, fishfly, trailboss, throbinson, mrholmes, phil67, indianafrank, pruss, david555, condorlover1, lostandfound, twoonefive, pascal, bigvan, bluesmoke