PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
So I was recently at the grocery store and had to get some tea bags for iced tea, which has become my primary beverage (unsweetened) since I gave up sodas and sugary drinks several weeks ago.
A box of Earl Grey tea bags happened to catch my eye. Being a lifelong Star Trek fan, Captain Picard's famous words, "Tea, Earl Grey, hot" rang in my mind. I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try".
WOW. This stuff is amazing. Coffee (black) is usually my hot beverage of choice, but Earl Grey may be taking over as my favorite.
So I've been looking for tobacco pairings for the Earl Grey tea ... Good pairings so far for me are:
Orlik Golden Sliced

Early Morning Pipe

Nightcap

Mac Baren Pure Virginia

Dunhill Flake
I think OGS is my favorite so far. The citrus flavors in the Earl Grey really bring out the citrus in the OGS. It's amazing.
Bad pairings (to my palette) so far are:
Escudo

DDNR

Anniversary Kake

Jackknife Plug

Triple Play

Old Joe Krantz
So anything with DFK just doesn't seem to work with Earl Grey, and neither do Va/Per blends. Looks like straight virginias and englishes are the best pairings. Which is weird to me because I don't smoke a lot of english blends, I'm primarily a straight Va or Va/Per kinda guy. And the DFK blends pair with bourbon really well, or are nice with coffee AFTER a hearty meal consisting of red meat (steak and taters).
So are any of you guys Earl Grey drinkers? What blends do you like that compliment your Earl Grey tea?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Earl Grey's bergamot flavoring pairs very nicely with straight Virginia's. A regular drink here as well.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I get headaches from the tea, but bergamot snuff is no problem. /shrug

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I do enjoy Earl Grey; my wife says it tastes like hot Fruit Loops cereal to her. LOL

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just recently said this in another thread; Earl Grey tea is the beverage equivalent to Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's Dark Flake Scented. Earl Grey is black tea with bergamot added, Dark Flake Scented is dark pressed VA's with a hint of bergamot and makes a hell of a pair.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Earl grey is a favorite here, too, though I usually only enjoy it when I care to deal with the caffeine. I've not tried it alongside a Va, but it does seem to pair well with PS Proper English. Green tea has been my favorite to pair with my VaPer blend.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Earl Grey, Twinnings, with local honey. Got a 1 cup coffee machine for wife and found out I could make a cup of tea fast, not bad and good with my Neighbors honey. I sometimes brew the Pu-erh given to me by an old esteemed member 4 Dot. Getting lazy going to the machine more than the Pu-erh.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Brilliant observation! And bravo for the Star Trek reference! Early Grey is my favorite as well and I can see why you picked those Virginias to go with it. Tea provides another wonderful ritual to go along with a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Earl Grey; it used to my my go-to tea. Now I like more or less unflavored black, like P&G Tips. Or for a nostalgia trip, Liptons regular is good. I like green teas. Even some herbal teas. 'Like it hot or iced, unsweetened. It's a little caf kick in the afternoon, when coffee tastes a little heavy. The more complex the tobacco blend, the more simple I want the tea, in general. Some of the "generic" house brand grocery store teas are surprisingly good, brisk.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I like tea too. I found the bergamot was throwing off some of the citric notes I was getting from what I smoke, but I don't have OGs. I suspect something with a citrus casing would not have an issue. You know, african va blends go really well with a Rooibos blend. DFK...I dunno...something like a darjeeling or perhaps an irish breakfast may work. Something a little sweet and fruity to cut through and elevate the earthy-meaty notes. A fun exploration, to be sure.
Mostly I just drink hot water and lemon these days. I find it goes with everything and keeps my palate fresh and my tongue in decent shape.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Throw in a slice of lemon, fire up some F&T cut virginia plug and away you go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.