PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipling13

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Hello
Im a young pipe smoker in California who made their first purchase online. I already paid my sales tax but no one seems to know wether or not I have to pay a tobacco tax, and ths is infuriating.
So with the CA authorities being typically useless I've turned here to see if anyone can help.
(It was a pretty big order. Got 2 Bjarne Viking Pipes, a Coppenhagen and a Churchwarden, as well as about 8 oz.s of tobacco, a new tool, and new cleaners.)

pipling13

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
So the questions are.
1.) Do I have taxes (Pretty sure its a yes) if so on what besides the sale tax?
2.) Any idea where I would pay said tax (Online, irl, whatever.)

Dec 24, 2012
Most states require you to declare and pay use taxes on your annual state income tax return. How many actually do this is another matter.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@pipling13 You shouldn't be required to pay any additional taxes - retail taxes are collected from you and then paid for by the retailer. If you go to walmart and buy a gallon of milk- the taxes are calculated by the retailer and charged applicable state, county and city level there then the retailer pays the taxes. Online has to do the same thing if the online site is located in the state you live in. If they online retailer failed to collect taxes from you - its on them not you.
Tobacco tax is applied at a federal level by the buyer of the tobacco product (that gets passed on to you without you knowing it in the retail cost). The state tobacco taxes are paid for only if you're buying for a tobacco in that state or the online retailer is located in the state. Again - the onus is actually on the retailer not the consumer.
Honestly I am not understanding how you would think you'd have to pay extra taxes after the fact. Where in your life have you ever had to do this?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
As a Tax Professional I can tell you that while use taxes are supposed to be declared on your state tax return for all online purchases, for every product you ever bought that your state did not receive taxes on, no one ever declares them and the state is none the wiser. As a colleague of mine liked to say before he died, it is between you and God.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I am a tax professional based in California.
You state that you have already paid the sales / use tax. Otherwise, that would be reported on your California form 540 Resident Income Tax Return.
As for excise taxes, those generally apply to the vendors themselves. Yet consumers importing from out-of-state may, under certain circumstances, be subject to excise taxes.
The California State Board of Equalization has some information regarding excise taxes. See Publication 93LDA Cigarette and Tobacco Products Taxes.
This is not really the best forum to discuss taxation, and I am not offering professional advice here. Please consult with your accountant or attorney.

pipling13

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Thank you all for the advice. Thankfully I finally got ahold of SOMEONE who knows what is going on with California state.

Status
Not open for further replies.