Tax Warning

(90 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by krizzose
  • Latest reply from gatorlope
  1. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They’re on to me. This is odd, because I’ve been buying from SP and P&C for years with no issues. I’m not sure why the authorities would pick up on Top Hat. Maybe they sell a large volume of RYO and thus are on the radar

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NICE!!! The end is near...

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would ask Tophat why they are reporting to the Michigan tax man. I would also ask who else they are reporting to and then warn the internet pipe community. The last thing anyone wants is to be put on a list.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

This sort of thing has come up before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would ask Tophat why they are reporting to the Michigan tax man. I would also ask who else they are reporting to and then warn the internet pipe community. The last thing anyone wants is to be put on a list

If you buy ANYTHING online.....they know who you are.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. It is what it is.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  6. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

How is it that I always end up hanging out with the trouble makers and ne’er do wells?

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How is it that I always end up hanging out with the trouble makers and ne’er do wells?

I consider it a gift.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Good for the B&M's. Just wait until they just stop internet tobacco sales altogether. Most of you have maybe 2-4 years to go until the gravy train ends.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Every time this issue presents itself, someone states how these prohibitions are going to be good for B&Ms. I believe this is not quite true. First, many of us no longer have B&Ms available to us. For those that are buying from out of state B&Ms you will suffer under the same restrictions and those business that rely on this as part of their business stream will suffer accordingly.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good for the B&M's. Just wait until they just stop internet tobacco sales altogether. Most of you have maybe 2-4 years to go until the gravy train ends.-kanaia

Well, let's hope not. That "gravy train," (please, tell me where I can hop aboard that one?), is what helps all of the businesses here (who use the Internet for a portion or all of their sales), pay for their advertising here on pipesmagazine.com. I'd sure hate to lose my job and this great forum. And no sir, it would not be good for the B&M's either for what I thought would be obvious reasons. In case you have not heard, kania, the tobacco Nazi's are after all of us.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

In case you have not heard, kania, the tobacco Nazi's are after all of us.

Bingo

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That "gravy train," (please, tell me where I can hop aboard that one?)

I believe the common perception of "gravy train" has been successfully manipulated by the social engineers to now mean anyone who is not either in massive debt or in abject poverty.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! Just seeing that made me sick to my stomach.

And how is it that this falls on you? You’re just a paying customer, it’s not your responsibility to make sure they properly charged you for taxes, is that not up to the vendors?

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

...is that not up to the vendors?

Probably, but if Top Hat isn't in Michigan, I imagine there's a lot more legal hoops to go through. Threatening the citizenry is so much more effective

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As has been previously discussed here, by me and others, there is an interstate compact that some, but not all states belong to. These seem to be clustered in the Midwest. I do not know all the states that are members.

Here is what happened. Top Hat is required by the state of Missouri to report out of state sales (not subject to sales tax in Missouri) to the State of Missouri. Missouri then shares that information with other states that are members of the compact. Michigan is one. I know that Illinois and Wisconsin are and I am certain that there are others.

This is the same buzz saw Iwan Ries has run into. It may be a distinction without a difference to those in the position of the OP, but Top Hat did not report him to the state of Michigan. Missouri did, using paperwork that Top Hat has to file to stay in business.

This has been going on for several years now. Nothing new.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

How would you know if it has a tax stamp or not when you order it? You can assume it doesn't, but this us stupid.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bastids!!...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then there are the Model Railroad Product Enforcement Unit, the Crocheting Club Product Enforcement Unit, the Potters Product Enforcement Unit, and the Sewing Machine Product Enforcement Unit, Piano Playing Product ... and so on. You're a law breaker, unless you're sending your money to them.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sounds like something from a Kurt Vonnegut novel, MSO...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could not this be: Hitting RYO tobacco sold as pipe tobacco, thus the supplier and vendor are being targeted? Not implying that what was ordered was not up to snuff on taxes.

And that would be a different kettle of fish from sales tax, which ogs writes of above.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sheesh, what a rip. That just ain't right.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has nothing to do with RYO per se. Most states have some kind of Other Tobacco Products Tax. In many states it is quite high, Illinois for example is 20%or 27 % added at the register. If you order from out of state you don’t pay that tax. But Iwan Ries, located in Chicago, has to report all sales made out of state to the Illinois Department of Revenue. They then share that information with other states, as I explained in detail above, which I have done in other threads as well. I am a retired tax attorney, so what I have said is accurate, absolutely nothing new, and is not a state secret. Reports are that sometimes it takes a year or two after the purchase from a reporting state for the state you reside in to send out such letters. Many come with a bill which already includes interest and penalties, no warning, here is a return envelope for your convenience

Moral: know your states laws on tobacco products, particularly if you live in a state with a high other tobacco products tax. Ordering from out of state may simply not be in your best interests. If there is a defense to one of these demands, it is unknown to me. I have started making a list of states that I have seen these letters from, they include Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and New Jersey. There are others I have seen but that was before I started keeping track. Effectively the feared interstate ban on ordering tobacco is already in force if you live in one of those states.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. philairfoil

philairfoil

Login to Send PM

I would like to hear what some of the large site sponsors, such as P&C and Smokingpipes are doing with this issue...reporting?

I read somewhere about that hubbub with American Independence was related to issues with tobacco...among other things that you need a light for.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

And how is it that this falls on you? You’re just a paying customer, it’s not your responsibility to make sure they properly charged you for taxes, is that not up to the vendors?

Actually, no. States ask you to report online sales and purchases and to pay the requested "user" taxes on those sales. Most people just ignored this figuring that nobody would ever find out. I always paid my "user" taxes because I believed that the day would come when states would become active in demanding those payments.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 months ago #
  25. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Moral: know your states laws on tobacco products, particularly if you live in a state with a high other tobacco products tax.

Outstanding advice! If you get caught unawares ... it's your own damned fault! The "right" or "wrong" is immaterial. It is what it is, a way to raise revenue. It is what our elected representatives are elected to do, tax and spend. It's not even a political consideration ... simply a fact of life. It's how politicians insure reelection ... purchasing votes from the electorate. We smokers, automobile owners, property owners, and so forth are where the money is. Bitching about the facts of life is ... well, a waste of time and effort.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  26. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The overwhelming human attraction to "social media"---think moths to a lightbulb---100% guarantees that governments everywhere will move in the same direction China is going now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-system-punishments-and-rewards-explained-2018-4

The gotcha that assures it will come to pass? Digital tracking of everydamnthing combined with the elimination of cash. Once digital financial transactions are required, governments will have the ability to control a citizen's behavior however they choose. The punishment for non-compliance? A zeroed bank account. The punishment for assisting someone via black market means who has been made a "non person"? A zeroed bank account. The punishment for participating in a rebellion or resistance effort? A zeroed bank account. Etc.

It's the Dark Ages punishment of being thrown outside the city walls, 21st Century Style.

I'm glad I'm an old guy who won't live long enough to see it.

The funny part---always looking for the humor in things, me ---is watching those who WILL live long enough to see it eagerly play along, racing each other to see who can achieve a wholly digital, phone-app-waving lifestyle first.

The ignorance of such (mostly young) people is exceeded only by their stubborn refusal to acknowledge objective reality. Humans given power ALWAYS find a way to abuse it. In this case, the convenience of digital money has morphed into the biggest de facto Trojan Horse in history.

The framers of the US Constitution knew exactly what they were doing and why.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 months ago #
  27. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

So, when I order Smokingpipes for example where does the tax that I see on the invoice go? I always assumed I was on the up and up since I was paying sales tax on my orders. Maybe this isn't the case...

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has nothing to do with RYO per se.
    How do you know?

At the same time, I agree with your analysis and referred to it in my post.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because I have read the f'ing statutes of the f'ing states involved!!!

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, there are no statutes regarding cigarette tobacco masquerading as pipe tobacco to evade taxation?

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has nothing to do with RYO per se.

Patience "oldgeezer. Take a deep breath. Parsing a post is an almost unknown exercise here. It's
    per se" that baffles some.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, when I order Smokingpipes for example where does the tax that I see on the invoice go? I always assumed I was on the up and up since I was paying sales tax on my orders. Maybe this isn't the case...

My understanding is that the sales tax SPC collects is for the state the purchaser resides in.

Isn't it?

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even from our Scandinavian point of view, such letters seem to be quite absurd yet on this letter there are some sentences in an imperative form(kinda like direct order )stop all purchases in order to avoid' I guess You hardly would receive such notifications written in this imperative-ordering form here,yet what is supposed to be this 'tobacco tax enforcement unit'never heard of existence of such institution in the U.S,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  34. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top Hat probably got audited. My company got audited in a state sales tax hunt and it spider webbed through my books into other companies - later I found out one of my clients had been through the same witch hunt narrowly before me.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 months ago #
  35. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In addition, the EU is now required to report online tax on imported products, including pipes and tobacco. This has already had a major impact within the past year, notably via the Danish Pipe Shop and their policy change toward exporting tobacco. Not only do these reporting requirements effect the end user (we the pipe smokers), but also the vendors (online retailers). More paperwork, more overhead, more busy work, thus a change in their business models.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  36. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, no. States ask you to report online sales and purchases and to pay the requested "user" taxes on those sales. Most people just ignored this figuring that nobody would ever find out. I always paid my "user" taxes because I believed that the day would come when states would become active in demanding those payments.

According to the CPA I used for my taxes, Sablebrush's statement is also correct for the state of Louisiana. Each year I get asked about out-of-state internet purchases and whether I paid taxes on the purchases. If I paid the tax, I'm good. If the tax was not included, I have to fill out the correct form and pay the tax.

The question I have is whether this is about sales tax or if it's about the additional tobacco taxes or user fees which states place on tobacco products?

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 months ago #
  37. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

“So, when I order Smokingpipes for example where does the tax that I see on the invoice go? I always assumed I was on the up and up since I was paying sales tax on my orders. Maybe this isn't the case...”

Smokingpipes and p&c just began collecting sales tax this year. It should go to your state’s coffer, but I have no way confirm if it does.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

No letterhead on the letter?

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The question I have is whether this is about sales tax or if it's about the additional tobacco taxes or user fees which states place on tobacco products?

It's about both user fees and excise taxes. Essentially the state is legally entitled these fees for all tobacco products brought into the state when bought via the internet, phone, or mail. And those excise taxes can be a chunk of money. California's excise tax on "other tobacco products" jumps to 59.27% starting July 1st, over a 15% increase.

As for what is done with the money collected? In California it's earmarked for specific purposes like paying for medical treatment of cancer for those too poor to afford it or lacking medical insurance, research into cancer treatment, anti-smoking educational programs, firefighting budget, and maintenance of the state park system.

I expect that the tracking online of sales will soon become fully integrated among all 50 states, with all online vendors voluntarily collecting the required sales and excise taxes. The tax advantage of online shopping, which hasn't legally existed for many years, will be over.
    You're online. You have no privacy. You will have to pay retail.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm the Nostradamus of the tobacco world, or I just read the tea leaves correctly. I cellared deep and hard when I saw Amazon fight it out with Nevada over internet sales tax.

I do get a mild schadenfreude feeling to see these discussions over a tax on a voluntarily substance you inhale.

Just remember folks some people will tax anything as long as they can use the proceeds how THEY see fit.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually don’t mind paying their taxes. It’s still a drastic jump in the selection of what’s available. I like my local B&M but they don’t have a serious selection of tobaccos.

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

According to the CPA I used for my taxes, Sablebrush's statement is also correct for the state of Louisiana.

BTW, Louisiana is one of the states that has entered into a compact with a number of other southern and mid west states, to cross track and report on online tobacco sales to consumers.

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

If I am paying sales tax on my orders, collected by the online site, is the concencus that am I good to go then? Just curious if I should be expecting one of these letters in future as well.

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. chuckyeageronlsd

chuckyeageronlsd

Login to Send PM

Eff the State of Michigan. And B&Ms? What B&Ms?

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If I am paying sales tax on my orders, collected by the online site, is the concencus that am I good to go then? Just curious if I should be expecting one of these letters in future as well.

If the tax collected includes the excise tax, you're good. If not, you may be in for a surprise.

Posted 2 months ago #
  46. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

I don’t think any of us is going to forget about the guy who died for selling a cigarette on a New York City street corner...

I just mailed myself some tobacco to my sister’s out of state, because I’m visiting. So it’s from me, to me and for my own consumption. They can’t hassle me over that, can they?

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t think any of us is going to forget about the guy who died for selling a cigarette on a New York City street corner...

Leave that B.S. somewhere else.

Not the Forum for your social grievance.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That's the first time I've heard about it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I just mailed myself some tobacco to my sister’s out of state, because I’m visiting. So it’s from me, to me and for my own consumption. They can’t hassle me over that, can they?

It's about sales. So if you didn't sell some tobacco to yourself before shipping it to your sister, or your sister didn't buy some tobacco from you for you to ship to yourself, there shouldn't be any problem.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

About what I thought. So I’m cool.
    27 years in the USPS and it would have been the first time that I’d ever heard that you couldn’t mail yourself a legal substance that you already owned!

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The states that are part of the interstate compact referenced by Sablebrush (and me, earlier in this thread I think and certainly elsewhere when this topic has come up) all have underlying tax statutes that treat RYO, or pipe tobacco that is in reality used for roll your own cigarettes, as only one “other tobacco product” (OTP);. That _ perceived_ “loophole” is a whole different kettle of fish. Thus my “RYO per se” usage. In any event, it does not strike me that Top Hat really emphasizes that market to the same extent others (Windy City Cigar comes to mind) do.

The use tax issue does not effect me as I live in a state that has virtually eliminated the requirement to file a state income tax return unless you have a bunch more interest and dividend income than I do, but the question about out of state purchases was asked in years before the law was changed. Again, a different issue, though come enforcement time you would likely be billed for both the OTP and the use tax if, like Louisiana apparently, your state knew some of your out of state purchases included OTP

The exact membership of the states in the referenced compact is unknown to me. I used to know the name of the damn thing and could have found this information out from that, but age has taken its toll on my memory. I believe I know the identity of a few states that are not, but that information is based on a discussion I had almost 3 years ago and could have changed.

At the present time, based on my state’s laws in force at this writing, the much feared universal collection of all sales taxes from out of state sellers of anything, wherever based, is a long way from happening for reasons that are too complicated to even begin to go into. There does not seem to be any discernible momentum for a “Federal fix” which many have hoped for. Once you dive into the weeds, this is a topic that is incredibly complicated, even more so than has been written about in detailed stories in places like the Wall Street Journal. Too bad I am retired:).

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be aware, too, that the Feds have started looking at imported pipes. A friend recently shared a story of a huge bill he received for duty on a fine pipe he had ordered. I believe he said it was something instituted this year.

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The duty on imported new pipes used to be a minimal amount, like 3% or so of the value on the shippers pro forma invoice. Federal Express sometimes adds a flat processing fee. About 1/3 of the pipes I have ordered from Italy have been followed by a credit card charge of a few bucks for import duty. I have never been hit with the FedEx flat charge, but a friend has. Some pipes that have escaped duty were more expensive than ones that were charged it. All had full value customs paperwork. This has been a consistent pattern since I first started dealing with Italian sellers decades ago. Strangely, Dunhills I purchased in at least 5 separate transactions with Barber back in the late 1990’s all incurred duties, but 3% or so was nothing compared to the savings.

Posted 2 months ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

I went large on some Rattray's 250g bags there a while back; I wonder if my letter will arrive next week.

MI law seems to have been written with the intent to go after cigarettes (in 2005, MI imposed a tax of $2/pack, and so many people didn't want to pay it and sought cigs elsewhere; a pack of cigarettes here is $7, which is what I once paid for a carton of Marlboros back in the day), but the wording is ''cigarettes and other tobacco products.'' What a surprise, a gov't agency expanding its reach/intent because it can.

Posted 2 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe not next week, but keep us posted

Posted 2 months ago #
  56. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oldgeezer: thanks for that info.

Posted 2 months ago #
  57. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is news to me but I’ll admit to being fully ignorant when it comes to taxes, I just pay what they force me to pay, nothing more nothing less.

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just pay what they force me to pay, nothing more nothing less.

Pay what you owe, nothing more and that includes penalties incurred through ignorance. Get informed and pay the minimum, skip the penalties.

Posted 2 months ago #
  59. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

I have received 2 Letters this year from NJ Tax..$31 and $35 I owed. They had 2 invoices which I cannot cross reference to the purchases. I would like to know who is reporting this so I can stop buying from them.

Posted 2 months ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cohibajoe, call and ask. They might tell you.

Posted 2 months ago #
  61. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

From the MI Dept. of Treasury Website:

It's A Crime!
    It's a crime to purchase cigarette's and other tobacco products by mail, over the internet, or in any other way unless the seller is properly licensed by the State of Michigan and each cigarette pack is affixed with a Michigan tobacco stamp. Violations are punishable by up to five years imprisonment, along with seizures of assets from anyone possessing illegally purchased cigarettes.

Wow.

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 1 month ago #
  62. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I buy plenty of pipe tobacco from Michigan B&M's and not one of them ever has a tobacco tax stamp on them.

Posted 1 month ago #
  63. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's A Crime!
    It's a crime to purchase cigarette's and other tobacco products by mail, over the internet, or in any other way unless the seller is properly licensed by the State of Michigan and each cigarette pack is affixed with a Michigan tobacco stamp. Violations are punishable by up to five years imprisonment, along with seizures of assets from anyone possessing illegally purchased cigarettes.

Wow.

Indeed, wow. And Woe. It seems to fly in the face of ICC regs, but what do I know? I do know that the plural of cigarette does not have an apostrophe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's A Crime!

Looks like it's more about loose cigarettes that pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 month ago #
  65. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I consider myself extremely lucky that my State relies on the "all bidness" to finance its functions. No state sales tax, no state income tax and ... wait for it ... the State is going to pay all of its residents around three grand just for living here last year. Alaska is the most socialist of the states and it's all paid for by "big oil." Life is wonderful!

Posted 1 month ago #
  66. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

In Iceland I pay the taxes upon the receival of the goods. This system could work anywhere in the world and shouldn't close down online tobacco sales. The problem for me is that many online stores stopped to export out from their own country.

Posted 1 month ago #
  67. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's A Crime!

The local Eagles got off easy the first time the tax man found liquor and cigs without Ohio tax stamps. The second time they found the same they shut them down never to reopen.

Posted 1 month ago #
  68. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

I remember back in the "startup" days of internet retailing. All the Elites said "have your little online purchases we won't tax" that was before anyone knew what it was to become. It's 3.5 TRILLION and growing. No way no how they're going to let that slide. Imagine a 7-8% take, it gets their cold hearts pumping.

I live in one of 5 states that have internet sales tax. I found that out the hard way. Thought I was being a genius driving all over the US picking up internet equipment purchases. Fast forward to a state audit. Had to cut them a fat check. They could care less if you're ignorant of the laws. My FIL was in software development for the state he said almost all of the spec software they wanted was to track just this sort of thing, behind the scenes of course.

They'll squash a tobacco retailer in a heartbeat. They've got a large percentage of those trillions they're working on.

It'll be here before you know it's all changing

Posted 1 month ago #
  69. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the State is going to pay all of its residents around three grand just for living here last year

You'd have to pay me way more than $3K per year to live there.

Posted 1 month ago #
  70. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also get get a huge reduction in property taxes due to my age. Age also means my vehicle is licensed and taxed only once, the tags are permanent. The climate is mild, thanks to the Japanese Current. All and all a very salubrious locale compared to the winters in the plains states and those which experience the "lake effect." Never too cold nor, too hot. It's a huge state with many climate zones (Arctic in the North, rain forests in the Southeast and just plain miserable on the Western coasts and Aleutians).

I can order tobaccos from around the world with no tax liability other than customs in limited cases. I get to augment my income with a bit of reasonably successful gold panning when I wish (8 hour drive to some great deposits). Riffle boxes are provided by the highway department, culverts. Bears, lynx, etc. trotting through the front yard. Great salt water boating is only an hour away from my house, Prince William Sound or the Gulf of Alaska. Neighbors are at least two acres away and screened by heavy timber on the mountainside. I can hunt everything from Bison to rabbits to bear, moose and elk with my camera, rifle or, a bow should I desire. There's a Nordstroms for the women folk, bars for the younger set, a decent tobacco shop, and great medical centers. Just everything an old, asocial codger could desire.

America is only a three hour flight away. Hawaii is available in the winter if "Spring Fever" takes hold in January.

What's not to like if one enjoys the out of doors in the extreme and the amenities of civilization. But, one does need a certain mental set to thrive here.

Posted 1 month ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, milehighpiper, weezell, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker