PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
As any of who who has met me knows I have several tattoos on my arms, including my wrists and forearms. I have never been a guy who has demanded that everyone accept my tattoos and have always complied with regulations by employers to cover them if required. In the funeral industry, it was mandatory, no question. Plus I wore a suit all the time, so it wasn't an issue anyway.
For the past 3+ years I have been working maintenance at a hospital, even while I worked in the funeral biz, Beacuse of the insurance benefits.
From the start I was open about my tattoos and even asked HR when I was hired on, if I needed to cover them and I was told no, because none of them are offensive or provocative. I've interacted with senior management and my Director's forearms are tattooed as well.
Well now the company is going bankrupt and have brought in new management and several departments are going to be outsourced, including mine so they are gunning to get rid of people. So far this week, they have had management meetings and HR has sent out an email about people covering up tattoos. Since my director is leaving in a few weeks I sort of feel singled out.
If I worked in an air-conditioned office all day, I would simply break out the long sleeves and not worry about it, but I do a lot of physical stuff, much of it outside or in non-air conditioned parts of the building. Keep in mind this is Texas and non-air conditioned means 90°F+ heat for months out of the year. Wearing long sleeves simply isn't an option, at least not a good one.
So far, I have decided that if confronted, I am going to be up front about it and tell them that if after 3+ years of having no problems or complaints from patients or staff, and being given the OK by HR when I was hired that I will not wear long sleeves to work and if they want to terminate me, to do what they have to do. At that point I feel I have a good case for unemployment pay since they changed the rules and none of my ink is new.
I wanted to get some opinions, though, on what I should do different, if anything. On one hand, do I go ahead and let them terminate me or is it even worth it to stay with a company that does ignorant stuff like this anyway?

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I have ink too, Baron, and I don't understand the bias against it. Some people's choice in clothing is a lot tacky than the tattoos I've seen.
I would stand up on this issue. I know times are tough, but you were hired under certain conditions and your ink in no way, shape, or form influences how you perform your job. In fact, asking someone who labors to discomfort his/herself for no other reason than to hide a tattoo is sort of discriminatory. They might not want to go down that road.
Best of luck, bro.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Dave, I am not quitting by any means. I was more thinking of how much am I willing to put myself through to stay with a company that's gunning for people anyway. It was really more, do I take a stand, get walked out and take my chances with the Unemployment or suck it up and give them what they want.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
You could try talking to them about the heat problem and how the ink was never a problem before. They may surprise you. Waiting for be confronted could be seen as you are just ignoring the rules. Talking to them first shows you want to follow them but there is a problem. Leaves the ball in their court and leaves you in a good light.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It probably depends on the new managements opinion.Sometimes it depends on who your job requires you to interact with.Some companies require a particular dress code as part of a corporate image.I don't really see why this should be an issue on your job.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I could be fretting over nothing, but I'v eworked for 2 companies before who were outsourced, so I guess it looks like the writing on the wall to me.

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I have many tats, including my sons name and birth date in HUGE script on the back of my neck. I am a glazier for new construction homes, mainly mirrors and shower doors. Every once in a while I will have to go into a home owners home for a leak issue or something a long those lines. A few weeks ago, my boss received a phone call from an angry homeowner saying how dare out company send someone into their home with THAT WORD tattooed on their neck. The lady was old and had some vision issues. My boss had to explain to her the my sons name is HUNTER, and that's whats on my neck. Well, the fancy script, when my hair is a bit longer like it is now makes it look like *unter. So now I have to cover my neck when ever I go into a home owners home.
As for your situation, you can and most likely will me DENIED unemployment if you are fired for not following rules. Does not matter if they were put in place AFTER you started working there. Company rules are just like Laws. The drinking age is 21, and the state decides to move it to 22, anyone that was 21 now can not legally drink. Does not matter that they were already 21 when the age was raised.
If I were you, I would go and talk to them, explain to them about the heat issues when working outside and try to make a compromise. Short sleeves when working out side, and long sleeves when inside.
Here is a pic of the tat on my neck...
338166_395008240514977_94288400_o.jpg

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Baron, not saying give in, but if you decide you must comply...the guys here (remember I work at children's, strict codes) that have ink on arms wear "shooters sleaves", they're kinda like underarmour so the breath really well. Just an idea

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you fail to comply to an across the board dress code.. but, instead let them walk you to the door I hate to say it but about zero chance of getting unemployment.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You can always get a full sleeve athletic shirt designed for athletes to wear during hot days, they are almost as good as being short-sleaved. I have worn them mountain biking on 95 degree days with no problem. You probabley should be looking for a new job if your uncomfortable with your current one, while you still have it. You should talk to management first about it, but be prepared with an alternative just in case. Letting them can you for breaking the rules is a very bad move.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thanks for the advice. I guess if it's a problem, maybe I can get some of those for now. I think my job is toast there anyway, eventually, and I'm actively seeking new work but I'd rather leave with somewhere else to go rather than be unemployed. I shouldn't worry, because I've never had anyone offended by my tattoos, ever. Hell even when I worked in a corporate environment, no one ever looked cross eyed when I rolled up my sleeves. You never know with people, though.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry you are having trouble with this baron. I always wanted tatoos but I knew not to get them for my career choice in marketing doesn't approve of them a lot. I think if I were you, I would try and just deal with wearing long sleeve shirts. It is very hard to find jobs right now and I have to agree that you probably wouldn't receive unemployment for not following rule changes. Maybe this will give you some encouragement, my cousin works for a steel mill and the heat gets way pays the 100's and they have to wear long sleeve shirts. I'm sure it sucks really bad.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
If they raise it as an issue you could query the infection control issues around long sleeves? I'm a nurse (mental health) lots of my work mates have tattoo sleeves etc and it's not an issue. So long as they are not offensive - which can include religious icons - no issues have been raised.
If you have a union or advocate in your role discuss your legal standing with them. It seems worth the fight as your initial contract & policy won't have mentioned it, you could also check the local dress code policy, granted these can be changed but the policy when you where employed is the one to refer to, they should have a justification (e.g. Complaints) for changes. Disciplining you on the grounds somebody in the future may be offended isn't really appropriate under employment law in the uk but not sure what your local regulations state

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeah. The idea really isn't that people are offended, because they aren't. I too have met plenty of RNs, Techs and even Doctors who are sleeved up. They are just trying to clean house because of new management. The dress code is ambiguous as it says "No offensive or prominent tattoos." Like I mentioned earlier, my Administrator and HR both saw them and OK'd them when I was hired on. I was totally up front about it.
I'd like to reiterate that I'm not one of these people who demands to be accepted for choices that I took upon myself to make. That's just ignorant and I can't stand that.
There's a town hall meeting today and we are going to get the speech. I hope my director is in there so he can suffer with me. Misery loves company. Since he is first in my chain of command, I plan to go to him about it even if he isn't at the town hall.

Jul 15, 2011
I had the same problem with my employer. I have a big dragon tattoo on my forearm, very tastefully done, nothing vulgar about it. 9 months in and no one had an issue with it. All of a sudden I come in one day and I am told, "Hey, the District Manager wants all tattoos covered." What sucks more is that the place I work is a chain, and at the location about 12 miles up the road, I go in all the time and I see dudes tatted up and they don't have to cover them up. I was told by one of them one day, "We were told we don't have to cover them up as long as they aren't offensive." Mind you, the same District Manager is in charge of both locations. Not only that, I had my left ear pierced when I first started. After about a year, my area supervisor asks me, "Have you always worn an earring?" "Yes," I replied. "Well, you're going to have to take it out. We follow Midwestern standards here." "What are Midwestern Standards?" I asked her. "Women can wear earrings, but men can't." "Don't you think that's kind of a sexist rule?" I asked her. She said, "Well, maybe, but that's the way things have to be done." The shit that I put up with for money. :roll:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@baronsamedi sorry to hear it.
Since you asked for opinons... I'd suggest going straight to the top and ask, with all due respect, if they can make exceptions when it's over 90 deg.? This to me, is a totally reasonable request and one any normal company would agree to.
If you're open and non-confrontational about it they might accommodate you. If they don't, then at least you know what you're up against. Good luck to you.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
This is one reason isticking with the military, but even they are cracking down. I have close to what you could consider half sleeves so i can still cover up with a short sleeve shirt.
If you can still afford to smoke pipe without the hospital job, i say stand up. If not, do what you gotta do to keep a lit pipe and food on the table.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Baron,

not complying = no unemployment.

downsized do to outsourcing = unemployment.
Especially if you feel the end is coming you might only have to put up with the new rules for a little bit.
I'm stuck in a suit so unless I tat my forehead I'm OK.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I haven't worn earrings in a long time. When I was growing up it was offensive for a man to have one earring and I had three in my left and right. In Texas, you were allowed to wear zero. When I grew up and had to support myself, I just said to hell with it because it was too hard to find a job if you had them.
All of it is silly to me. I usually get fired for something I said or did, rather than what I wear.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I do tattoos:) I run across people all the time that have to deal with covering their tattoos. I haven't ever heard of people having the rules changed while they are already playing the game. Its pretty crappy if you as me. If you were hired under those pretenses, then they should hold up their end of the deal. Can't you get the guy that hired you to tell upper management that he said it was ok? I think if they let you go it should come with a severance package. Wishful thinking i know but it would be the right thing to do. I'm sorry to hear of your situation man. Keep us posted because i want to see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.