PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Relatively new pipe smoker here (off and on for about a year). I am wondering when in your cadence you taste the tobacco the most. It seems as if during the inhale I taste nothing unless I partially am breathing in through my nose while inhaling through my mouth as well. I get a good taste on the exhale and during a retro. I understand my palate has not been exposed to the smoke to detect fine nuances as others. I suppose this will come with more time.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I get different sensations during the smoke. I taste it on my tongue. I smell it when I breathe and on the retrohale it's a combination of the two. When I swallow some salive, the flavor momentarily intensifies. Also on relights. It is more of a constant flavor/aroma sensation of varying intensity throughout the smoke. Btw, I clench.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Dry out the tobacco more than you think you should - almost crispy

Pack looser than you think you should

Smoke slower than you think you should - teeny tiny sips

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Nothing Going in , exhale then a couple seconds I taste it ,

between puffs
Same with my scotch , wine beer .. my buds are set to a low sample rate but higher resolution

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I haven't thought about it in those terms. I guess I enjoy the taste the most in the finish, or aftertaste.

It seems like your "critical tasting" skills are developing -- a sign of good things to come. :puffy:

They say that in blind taste tests of food that you cannot tell the differences between certain foods until your nose gets involved. Blindfolded and nose pinned, you can't really taste the differences between orange juice and lemon-aid, so they say. When learning to taste the subtle nuances of coffee, they tell you to slurp, so that your nose gets more involved. On my tongue, most Virginias just taste acidic, but combined with aroma and keeping the smoke swirling around in my mouth, I pick up more things going on. It is definitely a slow process to start to tastes these hay, lemony, licorice-y flavors. Some smokers say that after years they never tasted any of that.
Also, you might forget about the whole blowing smoke thing, and just start to savor the smoke in your mouth. Just let the smoke spend more time around your tongue and throat. This is where you are absorbing the nicotine, and just blowing smoke like a cigar smoker is sort of like wasting it. Let the smoke play. You probably wont see smoke coming from my mouth, unless you watch very carefully. I just keep the pipe lit, and let the smoke work its way through slowly. I get more of the flavor this way also.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
No one has tried the rectal smoke enema yet , no , ok , keep me posted
smoke-drawing.jpg

Taste is what your taste buds pick up: sweet, salty, sour, bitter and potentially umami (the fifth savory taste). Flavor is a combination of taste plus smell, specifically "retronasal olfaction," which is how your brain registers scent when you eat something.

Source Link
And you don't just have taste buds on your tongue—they're everywhere, from the roof of your mouth to your throat and stomach.

Source Link

Yes, this is why you can get so much more from rolling the smoke around the tongue and throat. We have more taste buds in our mouths that we realize.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I'm really glad that I don't have any taste buds in my ass. If I did, my retrohale would be a flamethrower.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'm really glad that I don't have any taste buds in my ass. Clenching my pipe would be a real pain. And ALL my pipes would require softie bits!

Status
Not open for further replies.