PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Since I am fairly new to pipe smoking, when do you think I will really start to taste the great flavors of the tobacco smoke? I've wrote some title threads like how to sip and conditioning your palate but I still don't get all the flavor. Now I can taste some flavors it's not like it was like well just plain smoke or burnt ash but I just want to hurry and get all that flavor. I have been smoking for about 3 weeks and 1-2 bowls a day and it is getting better. I would just like for you all to give me your opinion on how long it took you or steps I need to take to speed up the process. Thank you all

Marine33-----Richard

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
As far as I recall. I was always very subtle and then one day it just sort of clicked. It's more patience and waiting for the flavors to present themselves. All you need is good habits a good pipe and good tobacco.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
teufelhund is correct. I have been smoking for a couple of years now and some blends take time to get through to all the subtle flavors.

Its a long road for some, but has been a real joy to finally get results.

Be patient.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The taste experience can be elusive for some. Of course, the trick is to get the smoke moving around the various receptors in the mouth and nose.
I've been pipe smoking for 30 years and I've just scratched the surface of tobacco tasting. I'd have to agree with latbomber, because it wasn't until I smoked my first English blend that I realized there were flavors in tobacco other than vanilla and cherry. It was a revelation of sorts. It's also expensive! I went from spending twenty-five bucks a year on tobacco to thirty dollars a month. I'd spend more if I could afford to explore everything I wanted to explore!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It's kind of like when you are single and trying to find a girl. The harder you look, the harder they are to find. Be patient and it will come to you. If you are really concerned about flavor, like L at bomber said, try a full English blend.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Times ten on the English blends. I was basically an aromatic smoker. I would try other blends here and there but never really impressed. Then I smoked a heavy lat that smelled like brisket and tasted like flowers. That led me to try many other English blends and eventually came the Vapers. Now I am all over the map but on the rare occasion that I do smoke an aromatic I enjoy it much more than I did when that was all I smoked. Wish the Frog's and a forum like this would have been around when I started.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Don't get too overly concerned about all the so called nuances of taste that some 'tobacco aficionado's' claim to have in tobacco reviews. Personally, I think that some of the reviews (I'm not referring to this site) are total BS and simply people trying to impress others with their flowery descriptions, but be that as it may.
I started out with aro's back in the 70's as I thought that was what tobacco was supposed to be, as in; smell nice and leave a pleasant aroma. I'm not sure what you have been smoking, but if it's aro's you definitely need to try something out of that realm. After 50+ years of smoking cigarettes I've got the taste buds of 40 grit sandpaper and I could not for the life of me taste, much less get any satisfaction from aro's. When I finally took the plunge into non- aro's it was an awakening to say the least.
English blends are admittedly not my thing as I abhor the taste of Latakia, but by all means give them a try. I'm one of those who can't smoke a pipe while working/moving about as I have to either sit down, smoke a bowl and relax with it, or not not bother with it, but that's just me. Try different blends (NO aro's), smoke slowly and 'roll' the smoke in your mouth and under your tongue. That distinctive taste of various blends will come with time, but only if you take the time to sit back and relax with a bowl. The more you try, and are conscious of trying to achieve what you are after, the more it will allude you. But, again don't be overly concerned about trying to pick up elusive tastes/nuances in a tobacco as you've read in tobacco reviews. Relax... it will come, and when it does you'll know it. :wink:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It's certainly true of the English blends because they are so assertive (Latakia forward,) but each tobacco has it's own distinctive flavor and, as noted above, as you gain in experience, you will, in time, experience what each tobacco has to offer, subtle though it may be. One hint, if you're smoking cigars or cigarettes, this will certainly interfere with the process.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thank you all I do smoke cigarettes and I also have a top denture. I want to thank all of you who are helping me through this journey. I do have a lot of blends to try out thanks to a lot of you :). I am mostly an aro smoker and I like the sweet stuff (boswells berry cobbler) I do taste that hint of flavors in them I guess I just want to be blown away by the flavor. I will be patient and take my time it does seem each day it gets better and better. I also am going to stop smoking as I want this pipe journey to work and ill do anything to help my cause. Thank you all any suggestions on a sweet English blend. I have tried frog original and ott but the lakatia was a bit strong. I do have the other 3 but want to hear your thoughts. Again I thank you and I could not have gotten this far without you all.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I probably sound like a broken record professing my love for Dunhill's EMP but it's a risk I'm willing to take. It's a good intro to Enhlish mixtures IMHO and it's not a lat bomb. Some don't even detect its presence. There's a sweet nuttiness to it that in my pipes, hits a climactic sensory crescendo at about mid bowl. I smoke everyday and it's always my first bowl. There are days when I'll smoke it all day but usually I'm graduating from it to 965 then Nightcap. Virginias can bring it in the flavor dept but it requires a smokers attention and dicipline to get the most from what it's offering. I can relate to your desire for that epic pipe smoking taste blast and will only caution you that even if you do move toward the English blends, stay focused on slowly sipping and keeping things cool and dry. An over worked pipe and a smoker puffing too hard will get tongue bit and all you'll get is a burnt acrid taste from the tobacco.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not much one to recommend a tobacco. After all, some like fried liver... others don't.

With that said, and seeing that your first experience with Latakia did not seem to be to your liking, and it's certainly not mine either, I would suggest something on the order of Orlik Golden Sliced for a start. A good mild somewhat sweet taste, and not overpowering. I would consider that a good introduction into non-aro's. Obviously there are many others, but for it's price (considering that it's a flake tinned tobacco) you can't go wrong. Smoked two bowls of it today and a pure delight as always. Just a suggestion... :wink:

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thank you everyone. With all thats out there it makes my head spin! Phil67 I will try that I just hope it dont taste like fried liver! Just want to thank everyone who have helped me on my journey! I guess im just wanting to hurry up and be a seasoned pipe smoker who gets all the taste from every bowl but I know we all have to start somewhere.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Taste is just too subjective, in my opinion, for any one individual to be able to know what another will experience. We can only try different blends and find those that work for us.
For instance, Escudo is lauded by many as a glorious smoke but to my palate it is bland... Boring. To each his own. 8)

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
Some really great tips here -- I have reallllly been enjoying english/balkan blends as they definitely have more taste than most of the aro's I have tried.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I get good flavor out of the aromatics I smoke.
I absolutely abhor Latakia. It's far too bitter for me.
I'd suggest chewing on the smoke. Let it swirl around in your mouth for a bit and move your tongue around before exhaling. This lets more taste buds get involved and will really bring the flavors out regardless of the the blend style.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As others have said, give it time. A lot of sensory input gets lost in the shuffle initially, until you train whichever sense you're working on to filter out the noise and focus on what you're looking for - witness people arguing over paint colors (blue-green vs. greenish blue), or conducting blind taste tests for wine snobs, or comparing favorite bands...
I'm a beer snob, myself - I know what I like, and I don't drink what I don't like. I didn't start out that way - I hated it all, as it just tasted bitter and nasty. Now I can look at a beer menu, translate the IBU numbers and the AVB percentages, and determine whether I'm in the mood for something that I would have written off years ago as bitter and nasty (like an IPA), or whether I'm more inclined toward a nice dark porter.
Same thing with tobacco - I used to be an avid anti-smoker, but took up pipe smoking a little over a year ago. I got lucky and started with 1Q, but the next couple of blends I tried didn't do much for me. Turns out that my particular tastes run toward the Latakia-heavy blends, and the Va/Pers such as Escudo (not bland to me) or Luxury Bullseye Flake.
Your tastes will likely change over time, so don't sweat it if something doesn't appeal to you - plenty of other stuff to try, and time enough to come back to it later when you've educated your palate a little more broadly. And if you still don't like something after another try (or two), still no big deal. :D

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Great advise. Does me smoking cigarettes hinder my tasting ability? What about my denture? Thanks all you help alot of newbies more than you know. Keep the comments comming.

Status
Not open for further replies.