PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I put this in this discussion as it may, for some, relate to smoking. I learned this from a Russian immigrant who was very old when I was very young. He said he had learned it from Siberian Natives. I've spoken to Alaskan Natives who were surprised that I found it unusual. Mikhiel, "Russian Mike" as we kids called him, made his living on the mountains and in the woods of Alaska, trapping, hunting, fishing, mining and, at the last, maintaining and running a small marina on a remote lake in the 50's. Tasting the air was as important to him as seeing and smelling.
Open your mouth and inhale gently through your nose, tongue laying down. I find I can sometimes taste my blend a bit (weak connection to discussion subject). But, I can also taste the ranker moose and bear, sometimes their skat or fresh kills. It may be an acquired skill and does not always work for me. Some I've taught this, become very acute at it. Others never seem to get a taste.
Just a passing tidbit of probably no value I wanted to share.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do this when in the woods hiking. Helps me get a better sense of the world around me. Learned this trick while studying my native heritage. Thanks for sharing! Others may try this, and find a greater feel for the world around them.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Warren, that's really interesting. I've never tried it, but it makes sense to me as our sense of smell and sense of taste are connected. In fact cats do this quite often, I believe it's called Flehming, where they smell something with their mouths slightly open. We had a cat for 16 years that did that and I could never figure out what it was doing, until I asked the vet.

I'll give it a try today and hope a bug doesn't fly in my mouth... 8O

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As a lifelong outdoorsman I can definitely relate and it's just part of being dialed in to ones surroundings. As a lifelong plumber I can also relate and I'll tell you right now, I don't recommend it. :)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I can't do it everywhere but I love to taste the air in forests of cedar, spruce and pine trees.

All I'm getting right now is last night's jalapeños.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I guess some people are more gifted with acute senses than others. I would imagine that one could learn or be trained to improve or awaken them to a more conscious reality.

Taste and smell are related. Smells evoke memories. What tastes good to one doesn't taste good to another.

A lot of good tasting stuff smells bad, and then there's McDonalds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Use of the senses is an art. This tasting the air is a great example. Even just looking for a lost object can be an exercise. Many people get so lost in their excitement they use neither their eyes nor their mind. A lot of information can be gleaned from careful listening (automobile diagnostics for example), or the sense of smell.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I never really knew this was a technique, but I have been doing this my whole life. I always enjoyed the "taste" of the woods in autumn. Funny how sometimes it takes someone else to make you notice something you find normal.

danimal

Lurker
May 17, 2015
I do this when pig hunting with dogs u can get a great idea if what they are yelping about is a pig or something else like armo. or a turtle. it is a well know tracker trapper woodsman trick also u can tell if there is a fire about or if it about to rain if ur really well in tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.