Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Hi all, I wanted to share a few tasting notes on some blends I've tried over the last three months. Feel free to add your own notes if you've tried something new and want to share.
Mac Baren Mixture Scottish: I love this tobacco! I just finished my first 3.5 oz tin and couldn't get enough of the honey-toast and incense flavor and aroma. This was my first foray into Mac Baren tobaccos, and I'm looking forward to trying more. I have tins of Plumcake, Navy Flake, and Virginia No. 1 waiting to be tasted. On a side note, this has won the award in the room-note department, according to my wife.
Lane 1-Q: After smoking a pipe for more than 10 years, I thought it was time I gave 1-Q a try. It has a very nice "cedary" vanilla flavor and aroma, but despite high marks in the room-note department, Mixture Scottish still reigns supreme. If the pipe goes out in the last third, just dump it. Otherwise you'll be smoking a wad of soggy dottle. I'm glad I tried it, but it's too mild and wet for a place in my regular rotation.
PS Cherry Bon-bon: This is the best cherry blend I've tried - it tastes just like chocolate covered cherries. However, the wonderful flavor does not translate in the room note (pleasant enough, but it did not delight the domestic audience). Cool burning and flavorful!
PS Nougat: I've smoked this off and on for the past year. The flavor is not as good as 1-Q, but it beats the Lane offering in burning characteristics and moisture. Despite the mild flavor, it can be a bit "cigarettish" in the room note. Good, but unremarkable.
PS Luxury Twist Flake: Not as tasty as it looks. This is a fair VA flake, but it's a bit harsh and flat at times. It has a caramel topping that gets tiring toward the end of the bowl. I jarred up the rest of my sample in hopes it improves with age.
C&D Epiphany: This is a great blend! Buttery latakia and spicy perique support C&D's always excellent burley. The fruit topping works well, adding a bit of sweetness. Despite the topping, this is not a crowd pleaser (according to the crowd I was with). However, it pleased me a great deal! This is a hearty tobacco - savory, spicy and sweet, with a judicious amount of vitamin N. After smoking a large bowl, you feel sustained and satisfied. I will be buying more of this blend!
PS English Oriental Supreme: This could be Frog Morton's cousin. A very tasty latakia blend, with a bit of cavendish to smooth everything out. Despite the name, I could not detect any orientals in the smoke. Good as-is, great for the price.
Now that I've finished my samples and open tins, I'll be opening something new this week. I'm leaning toward the tin of Edward G. Robinson blend that's been on my shelf since May. With autumn approaching, I want to get into a few of my lighter blends before the cool weather pushes me toward heavier mixtures. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like LL-7 more than 1Q. I find Nougat a little indifferent, with a straw-like flavor. I want to try C&D Epiphany but

am especially fond of the C&D burley blends -- Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley, Golden Ash, and Pegasus, and

am looking forward to opening a tin of Riverboat Gambler at some point.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's very difficult to keep up with all the available blends. This is somewhat like traveling in the US; amongst all the excellent possibilities, one has to finally choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.