PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
What are the flavours or element of tastes in certain tobacco. Virginia? Cavendish? Perique? Latakia? Or any others I may not have named.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums. You're certainly in the right place to have those questions answered. I've listed some of the articles that answer your questions directly, but you can find many more articles (and videos) by perusing the left hand column of this page.
So here's your reading list:

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
You're better off googling that question and then ask here about more specific questions.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I was writing that the same time you were you silly dilly :)

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Oh and I apologize for calling you a "silly dilly" that was way out of line... :)

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
Oh my gosh, flavors of tobacco, where to start? Cavendish is not a type of tobacco species but a way that the leaves are cured you have your blonde or gold cavendishs and then your darker cavendishs. I really enjoy a dark cavendish. Or a mix of dark and light cavendish like lane 1Q AKA CB Royal it is one of my favorites. Those give a suttle vanilla carmal flavor. Where i find like a Virginia has a buttery nutty taste mix it with a burrly and you get a slow melow smoke. If you want to try a good blend of Virginia and burrly try Carter Hall it is a good morning tobacco. The others i have not smoked in a while. To offer any opinion. Because I know live in the people's republic of Washington. Where internet sales on pipe tobacco is a crime. So i am relegated to what i can get from the tobacco shop. I can't wait to get out of this state. Basically i have CB, borkum riff, Carter hall, smokers pride, half and half and other nefarious dime store tobacco. God I can't wait to move out of this state. But enjoy the forums.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Virginia = sweet natural flavor

Perique = piquant or spicy notes

Latakia = smokey and pungent

Cavendish = seems to have least Nic, can add flavor depending, or just smooth out the blend with unflavored.

Burley = deep, rich, nutty, nicotine

Orientals = spicy and or sweet notes

Plugs, cakes, coins, and flakes = some fashion of melding utilizing layers and compression. Most popular are the VaPa blends.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Lakeland - that word is enough to make a lot of pipe smokers cringe. However, you need to try everything, and decide what you like.
I have a blend that I really like and it reminds me of what smoking should be. I looked it up later and found that it was a Lakeland blend. I was confused at first but I decided to disregard the general consensus and enjoy it. Keep an open mind, try everything you have a chance to try, and develop your favorites of each type.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Trying to decide if that's preferable to your old aunt Millie's urinal cake.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
The reading list was very enjoyable and opened my eyes to why these tobaccos have their distinctive tastes. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.